Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

jstavrin

I think that Flat Head has only recently started making tees up to size 46.  I think that they will make V-necks in larger sizes in the future but it might require additional modification. Another issue that comes up is that since some V-necks are loopwheeled, they can't be made in sizes larger than 42 because of the limitations of the machine.

And yes, the THC fabric does get softer with wear. I think they're plenty soft when new, though.

Just wanted to correct one thing. Most of the knitting in Japan is done in Nara and Wakayama, not Okayama.

My mistake, I must have been thinking of a different wizard, Harry Potter not Gandalf  ;)

For what it's worth, I've handled all the different tees Flat Head makes, and the THC ones are by far my favorite.  Both the fabric and neck design are the best of any T-shirt I've ever worn.  Personally, I think loopwheeling makes a bigger difference when it comes to making sweatshirts than T-shirts.

Also, the necks on FH tees are small when new because it's designed to stretch to accommodate the size of your neck without stretching out.  Most people take neck stretch for granted because modern tees are usually made with a large percentage of synthetic material in the fabric; making a 100% cotton tee that won't stretch out is actually pretty difficult.  Flat Head does it through a combination of the smaller initially neck hole size, and the triple-stitching technique where two of the stitches are on the neck, and one on the body right beneath the neck.

How come the THC ones are your favorite? I was thinking of getting one of the loop-wheeled ones that Self Edge carries, but now I'm considering tracking down a THC one from Rakuten.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be at Tezomeya tomorrow and Masaaki just wanted to say thanks or sharing his stuff. Also thanks for linking back to me too. Glad you're enjoying your t-shirts. Also that purple one is dye with insect galls.

im really close to getting a couple.  I just have to decide on the colors.  One of each is unfortunately not an option, as much as I would love to have one of each.  Are you planning on doing another write up?

I just like the THC fabric the most.  It feels really solid, but also soft.  The neck looks and feels great, and the contrast stitching matches nicely with the main colors. Everything just comes together really well on those shirts.

However, I did have a Black Mint tee that was loopwheeled (I sold it because it was a size too big.) The fabric definitely felt different, it was a similar weight but kind of fuzzy, whereas the THC fabric has a smoother feel when new. The Glory Park TD shirts use loopwheeled fabric too but it feels different.

im really close to getting a couple.  I just have to decide on the colors.  One of each is unfortunately not an option, as much as I would love to have one of each.  Are you planning on doing another write up?

Takes a month or so to complete an order typically. It'll be a good post...;-)

• 2 weeks later...

About a week or two ago Bandana told me on Instagram that he's handling Tezomeya's international orders. I think I'm going to order two next week, need to figure out what colors and what size. I think the large will fit me.

About a week or two ago Bandana told me on Instagram that he's handling Tezomeya's international orders. I think I'm going to order two next week, need to figure out what colors and what size. I think the large will fit me.

i think you can ask Jon in regards to sizing, he is very good and if you can provide him with measurements or references (from your usual t-shirts) it'll be easier for him to sort out a correct or compatible size :)

how do you get in touch with him?  I PM'd him about them like 3 weeks ago and no response

I think there has been some folks accusing certain brands or retailers for claiming loopwheel when the shirts are in fact not loopwheeled. I'm sure there are some that are doing this as a shady sales tactic, but I honestly think some erroneously consider "loopwheel" and "tubular construction" as synonyms.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm posting this for a friend of mine. I've suggested he joins the forum to answer any questions but he's at capsule & then Bread & butter for the next few days so i'm sure he'll be on in due course.

His aims are two-fold. firstly to manufacture some good quality, well priced loopwheeled t-shirts, with the fabric woven in Wakayama. Nothing fancy, just a good classic tee.

Secondly he wants to show some support to the manufacturers in Fukushima which as i'm sure you're all aware were heavily affected by the tsunami a couple of years back.

Anyway- have a look at the link below and the video on it and see if it's something that interests you.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/503001352/made-in-fukushima-projects

Martin

Does anyone else feel like the whole loopwheeled t-shirt thing is a bit overhyped?  I love the idea of having super high quality T's that're very soft and will last a long time and have picked up a few loopwheeled T's from Iron Heart, Flat Head, and Loopwheeler.  And while they certainly seem thicker (actually, just the Iron Heart ones are noticeably thicker), I really don't find them that much softer than T's that cost 1/10th the price.  

So is this just a matter of seeing a difference 10 years down the road, or am I just too much of a pleb to appreciate this amazing fabric.

I'm sure that 15 or 20 years or so back someone said exactly the same about Japanese selvedge denims. Look at us now. Whole websites and forums devoted to it. I mean, is it really any better than something you can pick up at gap? ;)

Edited by Mr Black

I agree with you that the difference between say some nice Roy's and random Levi's is a lot greater than the difference between a loopwheeled shirt and one not. That being said, you can easily pick up a random graphic tee for maybe 30 dollars from any mall store. And I think it's worth it to pay the 40 or so dollars more to get a tee that is softer (and way heavier in Iron Heart's case), has way better designs, fits better (for me at least), and has a collar that will never lose its shape. Those are the things that make me buy loopwheeled, especially from Flat Head.

My $9 throw away American Apparel shirts never lose their shape either.  I think 90% of the loopwheeled thing is hype.  I want to like them, but in my experience, the majority of the cuts of them are too short in the torso length or too wide in the shoulders and therefore worthless to me.  

I agree that the loopwheel vs non-loopwheel thing has been over-hyped. But, from my experience, the Japanese brands simply use nicer fabrics. Whether it's loopwheeled or not, tube-constructed or not, they just seem to have nicer materials. Deluxeware, Joe McCoy, Samurai, etc. have incredible feel to them. But shit, if the $9 shirts work for someone, then why the hell not? More cash for denim.