Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

Found this cool supposedly 1800's Levi's belt buckle on eBay was wondering if anyone has any info old vintage levis belt buckles, have read in the past that they are as collectable as jeans but have not really seen evidence of this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1800s-Vintage-Levi-Bronze-Buckle-Hook-Eye-Closure-/230659354464?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item35b45e6f60#ht_500wt_927

Screenshot2011-08-13at150355.png

6040537211_d8cb9eec31_z.jpg6041087342_2dfb70fd90_z.jpg6040540179_d39962ff48_z.jpg6041095326_61f60615dc_z.jpg6040543413_e17d6a2a96_z.jpg6040545019_8a4fdb7aea_z.jpg6041090374_97b82bba64_z.jpg

I have to give my wife the credit for this one, she noticed slight changes in the two horse brand- in the first 20 years that it was being used. I think this theory is turning out to be a pretty good tool in dating Levi's from the late 1880's until about 1910 or so. These labels above^^ appears to be what was being used in 1915, I count 5 changes in the two horse brand from 1880's until 1910. (note that copper riveted clothing is still being used and not original riveted clothing- like you see on the belt buckle) Can some one post a #3 label from a lvc piece? How about a lvc 1930's two horse brand label? I'm looking for the change over- when copper riveted clothing turned into original riveted clothing... this would narrow down the date on that buckle.

• 2 weeks later...

That is amazing. Almost moreso than the denim you find, this piece is insanely personal. People didn't necessarily go out and buy fabric to make a quilt, they were often scraps. So in addition to the story that this quilt could tell as a unit, imagine all the stories all those individual pieces of fabric could tell too.

So cool, thanks for sharing Mike!

Thanks robbie^^ I think this would go down as, one of my favorite finds by far...It looks like it was being used as a bed roll? Often, these miners would live in the mine, we have seen empty cabins down in mines a few times. A friend told me about his friend, that found a fully furnished cabin in a mine with clothing,dishes,candles and even some gold coins.(sure would like to find something like that!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
I love the blue on those elfelts. Are those a recent find?

I found these about two months before you and I met out at the mines( a little over a year ago IIRC) these A.B's were thrown out with a bunch of other clothing, we found newspapers that all dated to December 1876... so I figure everything we found would date before 1877.

Great stuff Mike.

Here's a pic of the repro early leather washer-backed rivet :

FILEONE010.jpg

Btw, you wanted to know when the words 'copper riveted' changed to 'original' on the leather patch? (or did I misread?)

The change came during WW2.

The wartime Levi's were the first to sport 'original riveted' leather patches.

(I use this method to date type one jackets)

6126547862_94263b83f7_b.jpg6126548876_42412fa012_b.jpg6126549502_b4301bfda0_z.jpg

Thought this might interest a few people, it was written in 1914. When the #2's came about- peaked my interest, and the bit about Levi Strauss making riveted overalls in 1870 interested me also. We found that Levi Strauss was a clothing manufacturer in the 1860's, I do believe that as soon as Levi Strauss filed the patent in 1872... They started manufacturing riveted overalls ( this would explain why the rivets were blank in the beginning. Check out this patent, I thought this was interesting.

Great story, Mike, it shows hwo essentially modern Levi's were in protection of their brand. One wonders how much of their success was down to comprehensive trademark laws, and how much to their sheer aggression.

As we've discussed before, it seems the leather-backed rivets were used in the more waterproof clothing, hence its use on duck, designed to be more water-resistant.

Hey, it looks like Roy flouted the Schollian patent!

I was just going to say that that cinch back looks familiar :)

Mike- I'd be happy to send you the high res versions. Just PM me your email address.

Great story, Mike, it shows hwo essentially modern Levi's were in protection of their brand. One wonders how much of their success was down to comprehensive trademark laws, and how much to their sheer aggression.

As we've discussed before, it seems the leather-backed rivets were used in the more waterproof clothing, hence its use on duck, designed to be more water-resistant.

Hey, it looks like Roy flouted the Schollian patent!

I thought you would like that story Paul, Levi probably had some really sharp lawyers, we found some other Levi lawsuits. B&O Greenebaum was sued By Levi in 1878 for making riveted overalls.

I found three examples of leather backed rivets on denim and one duck, all of the pieces I found were late 1870's... so not really sure about duck vs denim?

I doubt Roy knew about the patent, I remember rnr saying that he hadn't seen anything like that... Russ just found that patent so I thought I would post it.

I was joking re Roy!

Interesting that leather-backed rivets were used on the denim, too.

Obviously rivets were used on saddlery gear, riveted into leather, when Jacob got the idea to use it on workwear, maybe the use of leather was a holdover...

I'll blame not catching that joke on- Lack of sleep and low levels of nicotine and caffeine:D I would like to see if those leather backed rivets show up in the late 1880's...Has to be pretty rare, when you have seen about 200 examples of 1870's and 80's levi's, and only come up with 4 that have leather???

You have to warn your GF about exploring mines anysunday, this shit will turn you into a addict, next thing you know- you'll be looking at houses out in California. Thanks for the kind words.