gah! I just did a bout of "look at other's flickrs" for an hour and I'm suffering from comparison induced self hate over my pics.

Here's one from my flickrstream that (although oversaturated and blown out) I seem to feel okay about. I also put a pink cast on it (through picasa).

796520963_758c33f677.jpg

^ I'm in awe..

I just started a few days ago, so be easy haha. Here are some quick snap shots from my D40. Any help/tips would be greatly appreicated. Only editing done in photoshop are resizing..

D40013editedcopy.jpg

D40012editedcopy.jpg

D40014copy.jpg

D40016copy.jpg

D40020.jpg

Sorry if the images are too big..

thank you sir! some tips- shoot lower aperature to knock out the background. i shot with an 85mm lens and extension tubes at f/1.8 for those. extension tubes work like a macro lens, but they also make the DOF more severe. shoot on a tripod if you have to.And, since you have photoshop, don't be afraid to work (and learn to work with) levels, sharpening, curves, etc. often times you can save photos with those tools, esp. if you shoot in RAW.

i got about 10 rolls of film back that i found in my photo bag today. here's some scans, all holga. i'll have the slides scanned later in the week.

847846760_68d7fdd483.jpg

282055315_0f047b9753.jpg

282055316_111a181238.jpg

291278914_7568744108.jpg

282040425_aede56f04a.jpg

glad you like it, heres what i did:

this photo is going to be a bitch to expose properly because you've got a black dog and a white everything else. i decided the image was flat, and while in focus it just wasnt "crisp". that's what i focused on.

so, first thing i attend to is sharpening.

image>mode>lab color. choose the lightness channel. filter>sharpen>unsharp mask, around 58-65

image>mode>rgb color

then, some contrast

image>adjustments>levels

i think i brightened the whites, darkened the blacks, then moved the grey towards the white a bit.

image>adjustments>shadows/highlights. no shadow adjustment, 9 on the highlights to knock em down a bit.

i used the sharpen tool on the eye a little too, and i might have dodged it a bit.

it's pretty simple work, you just need to use it a lot. i usually take and process between 25-200 photos a week, depending on jobs and all, so i have a bit of practice. if you need any more help, i'm down to assist!