only use photoshop for resizing.

i think once you start using photoshop for adjusting light levels, saturation etc etc,

wheres the skill in composing a photo?

also ive no knowledge of photoshop except resizing

ive got my head around aperature/shutter speed

playing around with iso now

ive had it on the lowest setting so far

i think once you start using photoshop for adjusting light levels, saturation etc etc,

Lots of photographers in the film era did dodging, burning, etc. in the dark room, including Ansel Adams. Does that mean he doesn't have skill in composing a photo?

Whiskey-

You really came with it on that one, and I don't have the time and energy to respond to all that at the moment. Suffice to say, I think you get what I am talking about, and where my opinions come from. I have no ill will towards people who use digital, I'm real familiar with all of the latest DSLR's on the market, and I understand the merits and capabilities of CSII ( though I don't see how "there is nothing that photoshop can't do that a leica can", that just doesn't make sense to me. They are fundamentally different tools, one for capture, one for post-production). Nearly all the photojournalists and "consumer" photographers I know shoot some kind of digital, or on occasion shoot negs and scan. Digital photography is the future, I am not denying that.

As for the blatant rejection, you're probably right. Maybe I am hurting myself, maybe it seems a little overbearing. But if someone asks me about photography, it's bound to come up, and I can be fierce about the things I'm passionate about. Both "film shooters" and those using digital have a right to that passion equally, no question. But The tactility and "object" quality of film photography is something that IS important to me in of itself, and influences the way I envision and present my work, as well as how I make it.

You make some excellent points, but ultimately I think its two different sides to the same coin...and I'm sure we can agree on that....

Guess I had more energy than I thought.

Yea we're eye to eye on this. I just like to present the other side of that coin. I've had this discussion many times with friends, one of which who thinks that digital photography is "fake." You can imagine my frustration with this. Ultimately as I'm sure we all know, it's all about that print in the end. Whether it's digital or film..

Anyway, here is one of my pictures I took. I did a project for class where I took photos that I felt portrayed how advertising has been integrated into daily life. This was my teacher's favorite.

adgirl0340mr7.jpg

With a subject as colorful as advertising is a bummer to have to restrict it to B&W, but that was one of the perameters of the project.

I second wild_whiskey. Dodging/burning/exposure in analog is the inherently the same step as processing a digital file in CS2.

In fact, to not use Photoshop for adjusting a digital file can be tough because a digital sensor does not read highlights the same as film. Film has more flexibility and tolerance towards blown out highlights, while a digi sensor goes awry when it creeps up towards white light--it just craps out and there is no detail. So proper exposure on a digita file requires a compromise of proper settings as well as proper adjustment in 'shop.

man, these photos are great! so inspirational.

ok, some of my first attempts-criticism and more importantly, suggestions on how to improve are most welcome and appreciated. Haven't photoshopped anything yet.

These had an SF-esque theme....

Had to squat in the middle of a street for this dodging cars, hence the somewhat off centre tilt.

December72006008.jpg

December72006009.jpg

tweedles, very geometric, mathematic. I like those pictures a lot.

thanks w_w,

but i have to ask, what do you mean by geometric, mathematic?

i've no background in photog so my terminology whether technical or composition etc are all over the place.

i hate point-and-shoot cameras...nikons seem to be particularly bad at doing their job.

Hey guys, 'not too sure where to put this, but I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on shooting portraiture...i just want to get that real clean, crisp look..what do you guys usually shoot on? Any flashes or lenses recommended for a nikon dslr?

-Medium or large format Camera: Larger neg's = enhanced "crispyness"

-shoot with a fixed lense, not a zoom

-Fuji NPS 160 Film: A nice cool tone film that gives you a decent latitude

-natural reflected light, window light, or sometimes the flat look of a nice partly cloudy day ("nature's softbox) is the typr of lighting I prefer. But I perfer a natural Clean crisp look. Buy a basic guide to using strobe on location if you want to build on that. But an understanding of the aforementioned natural light goes a long way towards your use of flash in the future.

-Avoid on camera direct flash at all costs. (unless what you mean by crisp is overexposed, blasted, or flattened)

-Work on your composition. Minimize distraction within the frame. Don't have light posts, beams, or other environmental features coming out of peoples heads.

-Use you're depth of field (aperture) to control what aspects of the portrait you want the viewer to focus on.

-Keep in mind that Light of any kind has a "color temperature". Learn to look at a given situation and understand what it will look like on the Films emulsion. Study the basics of color theory, and begin to undrstand how Color temp and choice dictates mood.

-Use a tripod. Even if there is enough light, a tripod will slow you down and help you learn to compose more skillfully.

I looked at your question again and realized you were asking about DSLR specifically. Most of the above still applies, but don't rely on the godamnned white balance too much...understanding of the psychology of color is very helpful regardless of wether you shoot film or digital.

Enjoy.