nice, air

I posted some of my nyc photos earlier but I got annoyed by how I had cropped and edited some, so heres a few reposts and a couple of new ones uncut:

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

the first one is probably my favorite :o

a few more here: http://www.pahlo.com/nyc/index.html

by the way, anyone have good tips for gig photos? I've shot a couple of bands but I'm a total noob with the external flash, I have no idea how to use it properly and get pictures that dont look like they were taken with a cheap digicam. I have a 350D (rebel XT in ameeerica).

Mike Thats not Ian Anderson is it? Love the Brooklyn Bridge shot.

As far as shooting stage photography. I would recommend using the available stage lighting. This is where a spot meter is a great tool because the lights hitting your subject are so bright compared to the background. Most camera meters average to 18% gray. If you go by that reading with a meter thats reading the entire frame your subjects will be overexposed. If you get to the edge or on the stage before the show starts take a 18% gray card (available at most photo stores) and read the light thats going to hit you subject by holding the gray card and setting your camera at that reading. If you have a spot meter setting you can set it to that and read the face of your subject and open up one stop (if they're Caucasian) because white skin tone is usually zone 6 and 18% gray is zone 5. In other words Caucasian skin tone is one stop brighter than a gray card and your meter sees it as 18%gray so open one stop and your exposure should be real close. You'll find even shooting at 100 ISO with most spot and stage lights you'll probably be a 1/125 of a sec at f/2.8 or maybe even 4. If not go to iso 400. Does this make any sense to you. Sorry for the long post.

^^^ man... those colors look amazing

sorry about that earlier

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

my beginner attempt at creating something pretty for everyone to look at... give me some tips!

-unfortunately i dont have any program to edit hte photos with other than some minor color and lighting on my iPhoto... but let me know what you guys think.

^^^ man... those colors look amazing

THANKS

sorry about that earlier

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

my beginner attempt at creating something pretty for everyone to look at... give me some tips!

-unfortunately i dont have any program to edit hte photos with other than some minor color and lighting on my iPhoto... but let me know what you guys think.

Before you take the photo think what about what you are trying to say. Why are you taking the photograph. Then try and eliminate everything in the image thats not important to the photograph through cropping, depth of field, etc. Remember that everything in the image is either helping your visual statement or hurting it.

I like the first pic, great colors. I agree with airfro', you should have a clear point in the photo and make sure that it comes through clearly. the first three pics have a good focus on something, thats why I think they work better than the other ones if you compare them.

nice stuff anyways, keep working on it!

Mike what made you want to take this? I see a couple of interesting things going on here. Just wanted to see what you were thinking.

that was taken in miami. the setting was so typical I found it kind of funny - the car, palms etc. also, since it was cloudy I thought I could get a neat colour/light scheme out of it :P