Debating the merits of two (or three) moves:

After some sell-off (I hate carrying the 24-70G, don't need my old Canon gear), I'm getting down to one dSLR and a 35mm lens. It's my favorite focal length and I was working best back in the day when I limited myself to only a 50.

Right now I own:

D700/24-70G/etc.

5D Mk I/35L/etc.

Could go D700/35G - I get the superior high ISO performance of the D700 and a lens that is presumably the equal of my 35L

Could sell the D700 and go 5D II/35L - give up some noise in exchange for cropping/enlarging room and video

Sell the D700 and Nikon stuff, finally get the 5D cleaned (I wound up getting the D700 after my 5D developed a nasty dust-collection ability with rapidity - work bought part of it, tax write-offs covered the rest) and go 5D/35L until the next iteration of the 5D II comes out.

I am fucking torn. None of these appears to be a head and shoulders 'best option.'

that's a tough spot. but from where you're at, wouldn't you miss the metering system and AF system in your Nikon?? Canon can't really touch it there...and if that new 35mm is anything worth the hype, i'm sure it will be as good on the d700 as the 35L is on the 5D mkII. you lose megapixels and the video, but the only move to canon that would make sense for me in your position would be to wait for the 5D mkIII and then make the switch for good. You'd be making a step forward there rather than sideways.

oh, and if you ever do decide to dump all of your Canon gear, shoot me a PM and I'll be looking to make you an offer for that 35L.

Don't the D700 and the 5D MkII have the same sensor size?

I think it comes down to which one you like shooting with more - that'll be what makes you happiest in the long run, if the nikon is just an interim camera then it'll almost always be an interim camera.

That being said - let me know what you are doing with your nikon gear - i'm intrigued as well

maybe it would be nice to note the setup (cam/lense) on every post,so that others may can take advantage of it...

what progs and sizes you guys are using btw for resizing your pics so they won't loose too much of quality?

last pages were great.keep em coming

and thx in advance guys

maybe it would be nice to note the setup (cam/lense) on every post,so that others may can take advantage of it...

what progs and sizes you guys are using btw for resizing your pics so they won't loose too much of quality?

if you're talking about hosting sites, it seems like most are using flickr? i know for me it's the best i've found for not losing quality when posting here.

last pages were great.keep em coming

and thx in advance guys

I think he wants info like ISO, lens, apeture, camera, etc.

I could maybe start doing that, but for people (like me) that use flickr you can go to the photo and (if people have exif data viewable) you can go to Actions then click 'View Exif Info' and see all that info there