this is what i'm saving up for

5d mkII + 24-70 L

or maybe the nikon d700... i'm not really committed to ether platform. what's the equivalent nikon lens to the 24-70L?

Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8

lol, same lens but sharper! go nikon and join me with the d700.

yea, i'm still doing my homework on the nikon end. the megapixel difference does bug me, though. i've made the most of a 6mp sensor, but being able to have something with medium format enlargement capability, it's really tempting. i'm just thinking from a commercial and marketing perspective, doing this professionally. bigger and bigger prints are becoming the norm and having that extra resolution, better high iso image quality and/or cropping leeway would be nice and the 5d mkII has even better image quality than the 1ds mkIII.

took some photoz of the car today since i need it sold this week :(

also just bought flickr pro just cause i didn't want my 200 photos limit

328 or 330? Regardless...GLWS, I had to sell my ride pictured a bit ago before i came up here to norcal.

kk. per phototog thread, here's some pics I snapped.

Before I sold her,

3847444029_66fa877aa5.jpg

And here's some for a photog assignment I had at my school..

4413439650_249f5704f0.jpg

4412672075_8dee6762e4.jpg

4413440200_f8752ef9c6.jpg

and here's an old pic I snapped while at a car show I was competing at...but I miss "home", so yeah

3848753773_dca0dd035e.jpg

yea, i'm still doing my homework on the nikon end. the megapixel difference does bug me, though. i've made the most of a 6mp sensor, but being able to have something with medium format enlargement capability, it's really tempting. i'm just thinking from a commercial and marketing perspective, doing this professionally. bigger and bigger prints are becoming the norm and having that extra resolution, better high iso image quality and/or cropping leeway would be nice and the 5d mkII has even better image quality than the 1ds mkIII.

More megapixels isn't necessarily better, especially if high ISO noise is a concern. The 5Dmk2 has a more agressive anti aliasing filter in order to help reduce noise due to so many pixels crammed on such a small sensor, therefore, from what I've read details are somewhat 'smudged' requiring more agressive sharpening. In terms of image quality, you will never be able to beat Digital MF with 35mm, due to the bigger sensor, AND the lenses (mainly primes).Also, as a late reply to yourpost about 5D/24-70 combo, if image quality is your biggest factor, stay away from zooms. My 85 is WAY sharper, more contrasty then my 24-70. The 24 1.4 was insanely sharp and contrasty as well... The only reason I haven't traded mine in for a wide prime is because of the price difference...

Basically prime>zoom, MF>35mm

Waking up in Paris:

MG_8117.jpg

For an assignment, we were assigned to do "surreal" photos. I did mine, but a friend was too lazy to do his. So he let me borrow his Minolta XK-1 to do the assignment for him.

here's a few with some a touch of photoshop (Sign originally said "Deaf Child Near")

4419354644_84fe9119ac.jpg

4418592425_9553fa21ee.jpg

4419357004_5b20eabccd.jpg

More megapixels isn't necessarily better, especially if high ISO noise is a concern. The 5Dmk2 has a more agressive anti aliasing filter in order to help reduce noise due to so many pixels crammed on such a small sensor, therefore, from what I've read details are somewhat 'smudged' requiring more agressive sharpening. In terms of image quality, you will never be able to beat Digital MF with 35mm, due to the bigger sensor, AND the lenses (mainly primes).Also, as a late reply to yourpost about 5D/24-70 combo, if image quality is your biggest factor, stay away from zooms. My 85 is WAY sharper, more contrasty then my 24-70. The 24 1.4 was insanely sharp and contrasty as well... The only reason I haven't traded mine in for a wide prime is because of the price difference...

Basically prime>zoom, MF>35mm

Waking up in Paris:

i read the dpreview article on the d700 and it looked like images from that camera needed a little extra sharpening too. i'm well aware of the impact the sensor size and megapixel density has on image quality, as well as the advantage of prime lenses. i was just talking about the ability to enlarge with 22mp is about the same as film medium format. and i'm getting the 24-70 first because i'm a documentary photographer primarily and that's pretty much the standard lens.

Rob - Hope I didn't sound like an ass, I was just sharing my experience with the 24-70. There is supposedly a new one coming out with IS as well as improved optics, which also means prices will drop on old ones, which works out well either way if you're in the market for this lens. I also heard Pentax is coming out with MF body with 39 Mp, compatible with their film lenses. Body is said to be priced aboud 6500... Might be something to consider?

i read the dpreview article on the d700 and it looked like images from that camera needed a little extra sharpening too. i'm well aware of the impact the sensor size and megapixel density has on image quality, as well as the advantage of prime lenses. i was just talking about the ability to enlarge with 22mp is about the same as film medium format. and i'm getting the 24-70 first because i'm a documentary photographer primarily and that's pretty much the standard lens.

I'd say if you're FF get a 35L if your a crop 24L instead. I'm not a big fan of the 24-70.