Your talking about the donkey head? I agree that it is a little out there, and I think that part of the problem in the jump from 'hot to weird' is that we did not have enough time to put together more of a story ( based on the fairy tale donkey skin) so it does jump... Thanks for the feedback though, and I will def tell my friend/partner.

started my first day of photography class here - literally don't think i've ever used a camera in my life up until this point

took pictures of things with colors i liked and then remembered i was shooting black and white - took a quick at negatives after i hung them up to dry and they look like they're all overexposed anyway

kromo what camera and lense did you use and what setting? and did you photoshop it? thanks

Don't worry about the camera and lens. It doesn't make a difference if I shot it with a 60 megapixel MF camera, or a point and shoot ( no really, it doesn't ). It's all about light. What are the qualities of the light? Shadows will tell you a lot. For the daytime shots, I used a Beauty Dish as a main, ambient as a fill. For the night shots, I use the BD as main, and a second light as a hair/kicker light. Photoshopping was colorbalance, slight curve adjustment to add contrast and resize/crop for web.

EDIT: As for setting, I shoot everything on manual.

Here's an oldie, all ambient:

MG_9051_59281.jpg

continue picture flood..

BRIGHT flash.. but it was kinda what i was going for. thats actually me with the monkey on my lap.

4246935125_35ec5c9a16.jpg

More harsh flash. this time on-camera

4246935399_5b19ae90b5.jpg

4246957899_7a23080ab2.jpg

4247709434_2be37d350b.jpg

4246934301_e69eb739be.jpg

non-flash was horribly underexposed.

4247709588_eea3f93b71.jpg

Your talking about the donkey head? I agree that it is a little out there, and I think that part of the problem in the jump from 'hot to weird' is that we did not have enough time to put together more of a story ( based on the fairy tale donkey skin) so it does jump... Thanks for the feedback though, and I will def tell my friend/partner.

Yea - mostly it just comes out of nowhere - there's also a real shift in color (white clothes -> black) which changes a lot of the attitude - they are great pictures its just a bit of a jarring change

Ed - Your picture isn't bad, but you've over exposed the girl's right side. Try bringing down the exposure in photoshop, or whatever program you use. Also, try not to cropt into body parts if you dont have to. By lowering your camera or backing up slightly you could have avoided cropping through the subject.

Ed - Your picture isn't bad, but you've over exposed the girl's right side. Try bringing down the exposure in photoshop, or whatever program you use. Also, try not to cropt into body parts if you dont have to. By lowering your camera or backing up slightly you could have avoided cropping through the subject.

yeah thanks man! ill put the crop into my mind! ( i didnt crop this )

hmm i dont use any programs yet.. i just convert my raw and thats it!

thanks so much buddy!