I was asked to shoot promo shots for my friends' new hardcore band last night. Shot these at around 10:30pm, so late haha. Ended up having to use a really ghetto lighting setup: two halogen lamps. Really surprised with how well they worked though.

your first shot is great for a promo. 2nd and 3rd seems like you clipped a wall or something, just watch out for shadows. the 3rd is still really nice tho, i'm sure for a start up band they'll be super happy with your photos.

boston.- 2nd and 4th shot look super over exposed and contrasty to the point where detail is completely lost. this might work for posters and self-advertising, but for a magazine or album cover, i dunno. 1st and 3rd are kinda blown out and the white balance is off.

still, nice concept, i think you just need to reprocess.

I've used a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a 50mm prime for shows before... Id say stick with a zoom, and f/2.8 should be good enough, if you time it right

It was so hard to shoot with a prime at a show, as its hard to move around at em

Just shoot a lot, try and time the lights... and you should come out with a satifactory amount of shots...

I used a 70-200 2.8 for Canon, if you can find a Nikon equivalent you'd be pretty set.

The Nikon 70-200 2.8VR is pretty damn expensive, $1500+, so that's not really gonna cut it if you are on a budget. The 80-200 2.8 is more affordable at around $900, which is about the same price as the 80 1.8. Of course these prices are for new lenses, but either new or used, still fairly expensive.

If you have a crop camera, the 50 1.4 or 1.8 has the same width of field as a 75mm on 35mm film or FX so that might be something to consider.

boston.- 2nd and 4th shot look super over exposed and contrasty to the point where detail is completely lost. this might work for posters and self-advertising, but for a magazine or album cover, i dunno. 1st and 3rd are kinda blown out and the white balance is off. .

That was kinda the point, but hey, thanks anyways.

These are from a wedding I did - apologies for the weird black borders - its just cause these were printed on full pages for a book and I was too lazy to reexport.

im17ui3.jpg

im20am1.jpg

im21pu6.jpg

Does anybody in here do concert photography? What sort of lens do you use? Ive done it in the past with a Nikon 85mm 1.4 but am looking for something that I can use for low light concerts and portraiture on a budget. Any suggestions?

To answer your rep (thanks): yeah the 70-200 2.8 is fine for portraits albeit very dramatic…

Zoom helps during events because sometimes you don't have the luxury of smashing through a crowd for the perfect frame. YMMV though depending on the circumstances.

I've been loving my Sigma 30mm 1.4, got it at the same with with my Canon 10-22mm but have been using the Sigma way more... perfect versatile lens I think, great for low-light concert settings if you can get somewhat close.

example:

2721295053_73dc025807.jpg

sidney: which Canon do you have? I have a 40D and I've always wondered if there was a better way to set the focus for doing self-portrait/waywt type stuff with a tripod, kinda like the Nikons that auto focus right before the timer goes off.

5D.

Is it weird that I'm a lazy motherfucker…I haven't bothered doing research for any sort of remote. I just plain ol' prefocus then autotime.

Though, I haven't bothered because I stopped doing waywts seriously.

2092376243_6d8b3f86d0.jpg

Don't mind the watermarks, their at least tasteful. But was this photo taken on a lightbox? There's really good colors and reflections for each different level of light - its a great experiment with full and back lighting it looks like - was there a specific assignment for your class?

Don't mind the watermarks, their at least tasteful. But was this photo taken on a lightbox? There's really good colors and reflections for each different level of light - its a great experiment with full and back lighting it looks like - was there a specific assignment for your class?

It was actually taken on one of those flat boxes that you use for viewing film slides. There was no specific assignment, I just decided to try a product shot. It was lit with a single small softbox.