not to mention the 5d mk2 is probably the best valued piece of equipment to ever be produced by a camera manufacturer. it replaces 10's of thousands of dollars worth of video equipment with a couple lenses and a fairly priced body

Well, let's wait until it's in the hands of real users and not Canon endorsed people...

The Canon 5d II is an absolute genuis technological advance that combines the video and photo industries together and will quite literally cause a photojournalist revolution. Think of how quickly anybody can upload video to an online feed - its really amazing for the news and film industry. Nikon created amazing high iso smoothness with a full frame sensor and canon came back with something entirely revolutionary and apparent high iso smoothness that I haven't tried out, but according to reviews seems just as good if not better than Nikon's.

(http://www.prophotonut.com/2008/09/20/canon-5d-mk2-high-iso-pictures/)

Here's one from one of my favorite spots in Albuquerque, an abandoned railroad warehouse (check it out in the new Terminator movie!). I admit that I am always scared when I go in there, and I rarely get any good pictures as a result. This shot was at the end of a cheap roll of film, I got more in B&W that I have to wait for the photo lab to develop.

l_1ee6d79b59bb4344b903b7a82cf959d2.jpg

It's grainy, but I really like it. :)

2805091442_715666e63d.jpg

That's a cute pic.

3028150346_e2b841b1b4.jpg

3028150512_d153d70eea.jpg

I really like them, especially these two.

DSC_0038.jpg

Cool pic.

xian by night, china

xian.jpg

Very nice.

DSCF3083.jpg

I like this one, not a huge fan of the other ones though.

While the 5D Mark II might be a great deal, it's way out of my price range.

You can probably find D80s/D70s cheap given that the D90 just came out, but I'd agree with Boston, good glass is key, it will help you in lowlight situations a ton

Would a used D80 or D70 make more sense than a new (or used for that matter) D40 for a beginner? My only hesitation about the D40 is the lack of the lens internal drive motor. Is that even something to be concerned about? I'm a complete beginner and looking to get into photography as a hobby.

The Canon 450D also looks great.

Thank you,

Jacob

Unfortunately, the recent digital camera news does not provide a sufficient erection for me.

I'm motioning back toward shooting 35 and 120.

i dont even read reviews and i guess should, film's pretty much all i shoot unless it's for a design project and i need it quick or to post online.

i still want a used 5d tho, full frame sounds fun.

While the 5D Mark II might be a great deal, it's way out of my price range.

Would a used D80 or D70 make more sense than a new (or used for that matter) D40 for a beginner? My only hesitation about the D40 is the lack of the lens internal drive motor. Is that even something to be concerned about? I'm a complete beginner and looking to get into photography as a hobby.

The Canon 450D also looks great.

Thank you,

Jacob

canon 20d. done.

i dont even read reviews and i guess should, film's pretty much all i shoot unless it's for a design project and i need it quick or to post online.

i still want a used 5d tho, full frame sounds fun.

5D is a treat to shoot with. Coupled with prime L glass, you're pretty much in heaven.

canon 20d. done.

I'll second this.

the 20d was a pivotal point for canon digital range that they're still working off of. the d30 and d60 (which i shot with for a couple years) were nice too, but as far as sensor performance and overall modern dslr design goes (low light, grain, color, etc), the 20d will get you into prosumer build quality for half the price of a 40d. most of the upgrades they do on that line are things you can live without anyways, unless you really think you need a small tv for a viewscreen on the back.

then, as sid said, you can spend cash on some nice lenses.