I think the "film mentality" ain't a bad one at all, because taking a shitty pics and editing it afterwards tring to make it look good is so... not called photography.

But i'm kinda feeling you for the d40x, every people tend to feel like they need to upgrade when they start getting really into phot. and since you're not a newbie, you deserve some finer gear.

but well... at the end, it's the photo that is important, not the gear that took it...

It was a birthday present actually haha

my parents did the research for me, and they concluded that the D40x was best bang for buck amateur hobbyist level camera, and it has not failed to impress

carl, i just got a chance to look at your site and was completely blown away. the shell family story is so amazing. All kinds of emotions run through each photo. That essay is as good if not better than anything i've seen come out of the big names in photo in the past few years.

So my digital camera which I purchased in 2004 is just about dead, and I'm looking for a new camera.

Would any of you recommend a Nikon D40 as a starter DSLR camera? From the reviews I read it doesn't seem like a bad deal, but the compatibility issues with older lenses is throwing me off (no auto-adjust?).

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer my question, thanks! ;)

So my digital camera which I purchased in 2004 is just about dead, and I'm looking for a new camera.

Would any of you recommend a Nikon D40 as a starter DSLR camera? From the reviews I read it doesn't seem like a bad deal, but the compatibility issues with older lenses is throwing me off (no auto-adjust?).

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer my question, thanks! ;)

The d40 lacks an internal autofocus motor, which some lenses require. If you buy a d40 and would like auto focus you would have to buy AF-I or AF-S lenses.

Its a great camera, my buddy uses it, its his first DSLR as well. He likes it, but wants to move on to something better already (its been less than 1/2 a year) If your an avid photographer, or may turn into one, it may not be enough camera for you.

Ask more questions about cameras here.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=19484&page=44