question... has anyone attempted the dreaded cleaning of the senor? I recently got a spot that I luckily blew off with a droplet blower, and over time I'm sure I will have to have this done due to the fact that I swap out lenses a lot and dust will be inevitable. I know that its real easy to fuck your camera up if you do this wrong, but is it really that difficult? steps on how you have done this would be appreciated. I've read a lot on different photo forums but was just curious about the sufu communities take on this sub..

Just brought it to my local camera shop and had 'em do it for $50. Expensive, I know, but I just got back from a nice desert and had sand up my hoo-haa and more.

^^I kinda figured that this was gonna be what I was going to do also, because I don't have the steadiest hands and don't want to risk screwing it up. I was just curious if anybody was daring enough to try it.

^^I kinda figured that this was gonna be what I was going to do also, because I don't have the steadiest hands and don't want to risk screwing it up. I was just curious if anybody was daring enough to try it.

i thought about it, but the spot i have is only visible at like f22. i won't take any risks now. but i read lots of feedback from people doing it, you just have to follow the instruction strictly and be very careful and ... you save $50 !!

wait, so the word "bump" superimposed over the picture? like in big block letters or something?

naw, it was a little more then that it basically started in the supermarket he was trying to sell some shoes or something. and then he used one of those pictures with the word bump on it.

some other member neg rep him 27 points about it saying that tats degrading photo journalist.

he goes on to bitch about it in a superculture thread entitled 1000 words or 27 reps

and goes on to bitch for a couple paragraphs about how he was furious that he got red. and that his gf told him that your lame and that he was over reacting and some other bull shit. i said that bitching belongs in supertrash. he got all butt hurt lots of other members joined in and he kept defending a useless thread. it got moved to supertrash and BAM! flame war. thread got locked and that explains his super red bar.

he goes on to continue his "bump concept" in here carl deletes his post.

that explains it i think.

link to og thread

i thought about it, but the spot i have is only visible at like f22. i won't take any risks now. but i read lots of feedback from people doing it, you just have to follow the instruction strictly and be very careful and ... you save $50 !!
yeah but in the end the damn sensor swabs cost 35 bucks so...

go fig...

Speaking of camera cleaning... I recently purcahsed a Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 off ebay, and the glass looks all fine, from what I see. But the front end of the lense. No scratches or anything, but when you have a certain light hit it, I can see two dots on it, which I am not able to clean off. Should I worry?

ko, nice shots. did you modify the sharpness on your picture ? because it looks damn sharp !

rom1, i read some stuff lately, comparisons between diy cleaning and feedbacks, and it seems that lots of them aren't that efficient. some people use vacuum cleaners, other use cotton-bud with lens cleaning lotion... i wouldn't risk my dslr with those so called solutions.

I read something very interesting about a homemade ioniser, riskfree, but it's in french, seems doable:

http://blog.aube-nature.com/?2006/10/13/72-nettoyer-son-capteur

When time comes for me to clean my sensor, i think i'll go to a little photography shop, were they'll do it quick and for a few bucks. But i'll check the result when they give it back to me.

^been asked many times. and yes, most of us, at least those shooting digital, do at least a little work in ps or something similar before posting them up here.

sidney said something that he said someone else said a while back that about sums it up. something like the digital first shot being the same as a film negative, and ps being not unlike a digital dark room. both usually get/require a little editing, but its totally up to the photog. and how he wants his final piece

just out of curiosity, do you guys in any way use photoshop with your pics before posting them on this thread?

well when you shoot in raw. usually pictures are unsharpened, low contrast, and not that vivid. its a digital negative. basically, like any negative you need to do some post processing, in this case photoshop or any other program that reads RAW. files.

post processing is almost necessary for anything digital raw file.

what kind of camera do you use?

These were all shot with a Contax G2 with 28mm lens and sometimes the T200 flash. If you have seen any of my other shots on here, a lot of them were shot with a Yashica T4 or Canon 1N. I Like the Contax a lot because you can create a look similar to the Yashica, but the lens is a bit sharper and it has manual controls.