what are you reading today?

almondcrush

feather i love that calvino book----the best thing i have read by him----great cover on your edition

and duder, i did not last 150 pages into Foucault's Pendulum-----Eco is no pseudo-intellectual----the fault for my failure to finish that one is not in Eco but in myself that i am an underling

^^

That's possible my case too. But I'm reading it after finishing some extremely hard book (the hardest one I've read) on art by Erwin Panofsky, and the previous one was certainly on the higher level than Eco's (of course, it was not fiction book, but still...). I find it unnecessary to mention almost everything in what appears to be a detective story, but as I am now beginning to understand it was the author's aim (or one of his aims).

Just started reading Gulliver's Travels. Seems to be a good book so far..

woohoo, tell all the lilliputians and hmphnumpnas (or whatever) that I said hello.

Today I read this 10 page article from the New Yorker about Robert Mugabe. I was sick of reading about him everyday over the past year or so, but not really knowing his background story (which subsequently doubles as the history of Zimbabwe itself).

Great journalism, read this!

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10/27/081027fa_fact_anderson

Just finished this:

51C64D1ET3L.jpg

About a third of the way through this:

4099_book-neuromancer1.jpg

I remember reading that a lot of The Matrix was based on/inspired by Neuromancer, but the extent to which this is true, blows my mind. It makes me sad that whenever Neuromancer finally makes it to the big-screen it will be widely considered a Matrix rip-off.

Just finished this:

51C64D1ET3L.jpg

About a third of the way through this:

4099_book-neuromancer1.jpg

I remember reading that a lot of The Matrix was based on/inspired by Neuromancer, but the extent to which this is true, blows my mind. It makes me sad that whenever Neuromancer finally makes it to the big-screen it will be widely considered a Matrix rip-off.

What did you think of this??

As a disclaimer, I am almost universally underwhelmed by short stories...it's not that I don't appreciate their merit, but for whatever reason, short stories generally just don't resonate with me in the same way that novels do. Also, I read it on the train on my way too and from work, so I would sometimes have hours or days in the middle of one of the stories, but then finish a clump of 2 or 3 stories in one sitting...not the best circumstances for reading a collection of short stories by any means.

I read Burning Chrome because it was recommended on the FAQ on Gibson's site as the first to read if you were going to read them all...I have already read Pattern Recognition and The Difference Engine, so I read Burning Chrome with different expectations that someone brand new to Gibson, and developed the opinion that Burning Chrome itself would best be left to after reading all of his other novels (or at least maybe after the Sprawl Trilogy...I'll know more once I have finished all his novels of course). However, the individual stories are cool, and I do think that it would be good to read Johnny Mnemonic, New Rose Hotel, and Burning Chrome before reading the Sprawl Trilogy for instance.

To sum it up, I guess I would say that I liked it, but would only recommend reading it cover to cover if you have read a lot of other Gibson and are just looking for a variety of interesting flavors of what he is capable of.

^^ Finished Pattern Recognition over Christmas break.

I giggled to myself when he mentioned APC as part of the protagonist's clothing.

Edit: Currently trying to work through Salman Rushdie's - Midnight's Children, but simultaneously reading this too. 51UPLtYbwkL._SS500_.jpg

Working my way through Jose Saramago: Blindness. Once you get over his paragraphs that go on for pages, incessant commas, run on's galore, and lack of quotation marks or new paragraphs for dialogue, it's pretty fantastic writing.

Also been reading Tobias Wolff: The Night In Question

are you reading it in spanish? because if you aren't then there's really no excuse to complain about syntax or punctuation, not even with the best translation.

are you reading it in spanish? because if you aren't then there's really no excuse to complain about syntax or punctuation, not even with the best translation.

Nah. I'm not,

Still not sure what your comment has to do with that though. I am reasonably proficient in the Spanish language, but none-the-less, I see the way he writes as more of a deliberate stylistic choice than a function of translation.

Have you read it, and if so, in what language?

Nah. I'm not,

Still not sure what your comment has to do with that though. I am reasonably proficient in the Spanish language, but none-the-less, I see the way he writes as more of a deliberate stylistic choice than a function of translation.

Have you read it, and if so, in what language?

I have read it in spanish, my first language.

in hindsight i realize i could've phrased myself better, i don't mean to be pompous. i just think the rhythm is a lot refined in its original tongue.

just check it out, you'll know what i mean.