what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Rereading "Clockers" by Richard Price. I'm amazed by the amount of shit Price jacked out of his own novel when consulting and writing teleplays for season 3 of the wire.

as soon as your done rereading clockers, jump into lush life. i went back and reread clockers right after i finished lush life just cause i was loving prices shit way too much. i loved the film for clockers too, but i try to seperate the book and film because i think they were on different levels. the book gave rocco way more depth, but spike lee really nailed the film and snuck in alot of his own little polemic and themes.

falling_man_delillo1.jpg

I just finished this, and while I wouldn't consider it DeLillo at his best, it was still definitely worth a read. This book was a weird read for me in the sense that it was the first piece of post-9/11 literature I have read in which 9/11 itself was the central focus...and while I understand the difficulty in writing something that isn't consumed with "post-9/11 America" I think that addressing it so directly is a little ham-handed and uninspired...not to say DeLillo didn't do as good a job as could be done.

055329461X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is my second book by Gibson, the first being Pattern Recognition.

I'm about 20% in...I am pretty sure I won't be reading other fiction until I finish everything Gibson has published.

as soon as your done rereading clockers, jump into lush life. i went back and reread clockers right after i finished lush life just cause i was loving prices shit way too much. i loved the film for clockers too, but i try to seperate the book and film because i think they were on different levels. the book gave rocco way more depth, but spike lee really nailed the film and snuck in alot of his own little polemic and themes.

Funny you said this.

I was just reading back through this thread, and that's actually just what I've done. Finished Clockers 2 nights ago, and jumped right into Lush Life. I gave it a shot when it came out, but only got 50 pages in. I'm halfway through as of now, and I'm enjoying it, though it feels a little hollow to me. Like, perhaps in "inventing" Dempsy, New Jersey, Price avoided some of what i feel are the pit-falls of writing about a contemporary LES that i'm so familiar with.

I don't know. This is probably better discussed elsewhere, but I've got some issues with Price in general, though i think he's a pretty excellent writer.

Currently reading Burroughs's Naked Lunch, the second time around. I decided to give it another shot, because the first time I wasn't really dedicated to it, I guess. It was just something I read on the airplane, a time filler. But now, the second time I'm with it and I can hardly get through it! It's sickening and totally consuming.

Currently reading Burroughs's Naked Lunch, the second time around. I decided to give it another shot, because the first time I wasn't really dedicated to it, I guess. It was just something I read on the airplane, a time filler. But now, the second time I'm with it and I can hardly get through it! It's sickening and totally consuming.

If this is what it is, have you ever seen the movie?

WOW is all I can say. BTW another Chicagoan says HI