what are you reading today?

almondcrush

• 2 weeks later...
finished georges bataille - story of the eye earlier today and plan on starting one day in the life of ivan denisovich by alexsandr solzhenitsyn

Ivan Denisovich is amazing - really gets under your skin, ive recently tried Cancer Ward but its left less of an impression on me - could be the translation though. Im going to start story of the eye soon - Have you seen the film "Ma Mere"?

just finished The Road.

Liked it a lot, bleakest book ive read in a while.

Great book - although some may regard it as a rather uncouthly - even simplistic metaphor for post 'you know what' I thought the prose was compelling and the execution perfect.... fantastic, engrossing book.

HamOnRye.jpg

just got into bukowski

Yeah - Bukowski is great too, ive never read so much about so little and enjoyed so much - personally I feel after half a dozen books it becomes a little bit of a guilty pleasure and the rule of diminishing returns applies.... unless you havent read 'Women' yet.

on liberty

john stuart mill

just started

probably the thinnest volume in that whole jurisprudence shelf. but what a read. sharp and well thought out.

JSM is so important - he was an interesting guy - had a crush on a married lady almost all his life - then when her husband died he still backed off for years until it would be respectable for her to find someone else. What a guy.

found an old copy of "American Psycho" at a book fair (only $1 for hardcover!), so i just started that.

Really love BBE, his stuff really becomes more vital as time goes by - the nihilism through alienation amongst voracious consumerism/capitalism - great stuff - so many themes - wont go on.

Im currently on Conrad - Heart of darkness. - I relish every line, awesome writing, and incredible, grotesquely dark and sinister imagery. Shits is dope.

yeah junot diaz is fun to read.

can anyone vouch for malcom gladwell? there's hype around the books and I'm sort of interested in seeing what Outliers is about but I'm not sure.

I'll be able to tell you in early January...Outliers is the first book on my January reading list.

• 2 weeks later...

i ran through the road in 2 sittings, its alright. halifamous says i need to read blood meridian so thats next on my list. im gonna read mr delivery man this week cause i want to test it against less than zero. im slowly finishing oblivion, too.

what else is good?

also, which amis novel after money is the the best? i liked money but it didnt shake me much.

and junot diaz is exceptional but you have to like character who speak from a marginalized voice. despite his praise, i dont think mainstream readers will get much out of him, since he relys heavily on racially esoteric presumptions. i dig it though.

finished Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being yesterday, incredible book. Saw the movie as a kid, didn't get it then but the book hits a nerve with me at this stage...

also read the plays Streetcar Named Desire and Arthur Miller's View from the Bridge today. both dope but bleak and depressing as hell

Just finished Dr Bloodmoney by Philip K Dick. Not one of his best...

Currently reading Drown (Junot Diaz) and The Dispossessed (Ursula Le Guin). Diaz has a cool style and I can't recommend The Dispossessed highly enough. Yes, it is technically "sci-fi" (I read little if any "sci-fi" and no fantasy), but it is really a novel about political theory. Really well thought-out stuff...

took a break between novels to check out something shorter - just read Georges Bataille's Story of the Eye....i can see something like this shaking things up at the time it was written, but other than that I don't think I really get what this novella is trying to do or say.

It did get me thinking though, between reading this and The Sexual Life of Catherine M - are the French really THIS open when it comes to random sex?