motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

man i love this thread.

all you guys are seriously showcasing some mad skillz/knowledge.

(except ed but what's new)

edit: also, evilcrayon mentioned 'garage life' a JP only mag. anybody know where i can grab it stateside or order it online?

Ed, we do know you. You're a dude with way too much money that obviously doesn't understand the value of it so you keep blowing it on what will make you look cool to who ever you're trying to impress.

Also, stop asking questions about you're own bike. Every motorcycle ever made comes with a manual. Spend a little of your "hard" earned dollars and buy one. It will save you the trouble of asking us and you clearly haven't figured out the internet yet because you never search for a fucking thing. It's always "where to cop them oil quarts?"

5724050836_9e7b6263f2_o.jpg

5723495239_701ec1db23_o.jpg

:eek::eek:

I agree w/ keeping that tank, goes well w/ the bike! Nice and beefy! And I actually like the look w/o the rear fender,

I am curious of what kind of exhaust you have on that though. My fav on the sportsters have got to be the vince and hines short shots.

EDIT: my bike should be good to go by next week!!

the previous owner installed some setup on it, I'm not even sure what it is but its too loud for my liking, so I need to change it

I like the V&H shorty as well, any idea what the sound is like?

I was thinking about getting these mooneyes tips as a cheap alternative, I like the oldschool look but I have no idea what they'd sound like either.

Short shots are pretty loud. There isn't very much pipe/muffler there so you're getting straight engine noise. I'm sure they have baffles in them so that quiets the engine yet gives it enough back pressure to make the short shots performance savvy.

Best thing, which may be hard, is to find someone locally with them installed. Not sure if you're close to a HD dealer but I'm sure if you hung out long enough you'd meet someone with them.

Another alternative is to get some stainless steel tubing from a place like accel tube and make some pipes. If you have a buddy with a tig welder then you could spend the day/weekend building a set. That's what I plan on doing when I get back.

is it possible to lengthen the baffle in a silencer? take for example this one, the baffle looks to be about 4-5" (roughly), is there any problem in cutting it off and welding an 8" baffle in its place? would it alter the sound or performance notably? a total noob question, I know.

I'm not sure if 3-4" of more baffle will make much of a difference. Plus, I'm not sure how V&Hs secures the baffle to the pipe. You could always add another one in front of the existing baffle but I don't know what difference it will make for sound or performance.

You're most quiet pipes will be the stock ones. After market pipes will always be louder and more geared towards performance because it's one tube from header to exhaust tip.

For best performance you could go with a thunderheader. They might look like a dog weiner but they do wonders for your bike. Or so I here. A lot of the club bikes run thunderheaders.

About the turnout silencer, you're better off getting some stainless tube with a turn out and buying the baffles separately and either welding them in or securing it with a bolt through the tubing. Most of them come that way for installation.

Your exhaust end will also change the sound slightly. The fishtails I had on my deluxe made the bike sound really bassy.

Are you saying that your baffles caused too much back pressure? If that's the case, leave it to people who know what they're doing and buy theirs.

your saying i said it wrong? you think its the other way?

Indeed a 550. You can always spot a 550 by the spacer between head and carbs and how almost always the pod filters are squished becausse there is so little room. (carb spacing doesn't match head port spacing and requires a spacer).

I consider it a cafe already! Clip on handles and rear sets and fiberglass seat?

I do have more plans for it. I wanna hide the electronics and clear out the "triangle"

Indeed a 550. You can always spot a 550 by the spacer between head and carbs and how almost always the pod filters are squished becausse there is so little room. (carb spacing doesn't match head port spacing and requires a spacer).

I consider it a cafe already! Clip on handles and rear sets and fiberglass seat?

I do have more plans for it. I wanna hide the electronics and clear out the "triangle"

May always seems to be the time when I see people buying "cafe racers" for 4k+. I'm mildly sick of all the chopped up hondas with rattle canned tanks, fucked up seats, and incredibly uncomfortable bars. Living in San Francisco, I constantly get questions on my "cafe racer" CB550K even though it is completely stock with the exception of superbike handlebars.

Then again, I love the RSC and HRC race machine's of the 60s and 70s. I will probably end up turning my 550 into something like this.

Print010.jpg

I'll keep the Corbin seat and the tank but I'll probably fuck around with my exhaust and get a fairing. Just don't really know what colour I want the fairing as I want a bare metal look...

Also, anybody know of a fork brace for the 550? or even an 82 750F dohc... I'm about to take apart my swingarm and install bronze bushings

Ordered new inline fuel filters, tygon fuel line, and grips.

Going to be a busy weekend (weather pending) - tank flush, fuel line and filter replacement, carb clean and refurb, timing reset, oil change, and grip installation.