motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

i turn into stone in the winter. i always say i will do bike projects during this season but its too damn cold and i become lazy when its cold. the weather usually gets warm then i haul ass to put things back together so i can ride in time.

Screw oldbikebarn. I have been waiting for 3 weeks on clutch/throttle cables, brakepads, and an oil filter. I even emailed back and forth with pretty quick response time before I ordered. And now I just received an email saying they shipped it out.

I'm trying to decide between a fulmer v2 and a bell 500. I remember somebody having a bell, how is it?

I have a Bell 500.

It's good... DOT and not all huge like. Ear pads could be a bit more snug, but that's my only gripe.

Never fucked with a Fulmer, so I can't compare. That NovDot helmet looks like a good option tho.

Wonder why Bell doesn't reissue the Moto 3. The price people pay for crusty old ones is kind of insane.

spring = bike fever. would love to get some type of a bobber or similar. maybe this summer.

speaking of which, I've been looking at some classifieds and came across a '52 Triumph Speed twin, turned into somwhat of a bobber and engine refurbished a year ago, seemed to be in great shape. any general thoughts on such a bike?

last year I was considering buying an early 90's Sportster, which is not ruled out either

unrelated random inspirational picture:

bobbernortonatlas.jpg

A refurbed 52 speed twin is going to cost you an arm and a leg. An early 90s sporty will cost you nigh on nothing comparatively. How good of a mechanic are you?

Also, what are you hoping to do with the bike? The sporty is going to be much, much more powerful and able to handle highways the way a modern bike does.

If your goal is to ride, get the sport. If you're goal is to look good and barhop and you either have a ton of money for someone to look after your bike or you're a great wrench, get the tri.

I'm not a very good mechanic, my experience is limited to cars and particularly assembly, bodywork etc rather than actual engine tech. so if the upkeep is demanding, I suppose it might be too much for me.

the price range is around the same as an early 90's good condition sportster, probably because visually the triumph wasn't mint by any means, though the engine was apparently in excellent condition.

The thing with having an old bike is, you'll want another bike that you can actually ride and not just look at while it seeps oil all over your garage.

Good lord is this ever quoted for fucking truth. And again for good measure

The thing with having an old bike is, you'll want another bike that you can actually ride and not just look at while it seeps oil all over your garage.

Truth.

Take it from someone with an old triumph nonrunning project.

I'm not a very good mechanic, my experience is limited to cars and particularly assembly, bodywork etc rather than actual engine tech. so if the upkeep is demanding, I suppose it might be too much for me.

the price range is around the same as an early 90's good condition sportster, probably because visually the triumph wasn't mint by any means, though the engine was apparently in excellent condition.

I find it very hard to believe that you found a 52 Trump in great condition in the same price range as an early 90's sporty. 50's triumphs in good shape can fetch upwards of $10k depending on what's been done to them while my friend's 92 sportster evo in basically factory fresh shape cost $2300 with a little searching and patience.

I find it very hard to believe that you found a 52 Trump in great condition in the same price range as an early 90's sporty. 50's triumphs in good shape can fetch upwards of $10k depending on what's been done to them while my friend's 92 sportster evo in basically factory fresh shape cost $2300 with a little searching and patience.

Doesn't really matter what you believe, but firstly, being in europe has a pretty big impact on the pricing as harleys are notably more expensive and british bikes probably a bit cheaper. Plus, like I said, while the engine on the triumph was apparently refurbed, the rest of it wasn't. Either way, its a pointless comparison any way.

Doesn't really matter what you believe, but firstly, being in europe has a pretty big impact on the pricing as harleys are notably more expensive and british bikes probably a bit cheaper. Plus, like I said, while the engine on the triumph was apparently refurbed, the rest of it wasn't. Either way, its a pointless comparison any way.

Easy there touchy, you never mentioned that you were in Europe and I was just going off of this:

"speaking of which, I've been looking at some classifieds and came across a '52 Triumph Speed twin, turned into somwhat of a bobber and engine refurbished a year ago, seemed to be in great shape. any general thoughts on such a bike? "

You asked for general thoughts, I gave you what I thought. Long and short, I'd got with the 90s harley over the 52 triumph if you don't want to do constant work on it.

the comments are appreciated, I was just responding to the pricing concern as I knew very well what the prices were, and both were within my range.

anyway, sounds like the sportster would definitely suit my needs better icon14.gif

I've been considering selling my 73 T140v for a slightly smaller framed japanese bike, something I could chop up and not feel bad about, I'm also kind of a smaller dude so I think I'd be a little more comfortable on something smaller . Any idea of what I could let her go for/some suggestions for 60's/70's bikes that fit the criteria I'm looking for? Mid-70's Honda?