Oxford Shirts

superbeveridge

how far should an oxford drop relative to the waist if you're wearing it untucked? right at the waist or an inch or two below?

An oxford should not be worn untucked. Don't let Inventory Magazine convince you otherwise.

I beg to differ. The oxford shirt can be worn untucked no problem. It just depends on what you are looking to do. If you are working tuck it in, if you are not and are going for a relaxed look untuck. Just be careful not to get a shirt with longs tails if you are going to untuck.

nah agree w superbev, untucked is fine if the cut is right

also this is another peasant status/styleforum rec, but i didnt see any mention of ll bean in this thread

my old man wore nothing but brooks for years, but recently felt the quality had declined and made the switch to bean, which he now swears by

ive borrowed a couple of his - the fabric is pretty nice (pima blend), as is the construction; buttons are w/e but its a $35 shirt

the trim fit will prob still be too big for most people on here, but it works well on me; also it's only avail in wrinkle free fabric

again, though, its $35; nice beater shirt for the price if you like the fit

fack. shouldve posted that yesterday LOL

did a quick run to brooks brothers yesterday since i needed a shirt for vegas this weekend. copped one of the boy's pinpoint jawns in a size 18 for 50 a pop. the shoulders(came out to 15.5in when i measured em @ home) started to bother me as i wore em so ima return em and get a boy's size 20. sucks cause i dig the sleeve/body length. collar fits good too :/ i'm 5'9

tumblr_lig83xyWol1qa4rpfo1_500.jpg

• 1 month later...

my favorite shirt's an arrow dover, too -- one of the first OCBDs I ever bought way back in the day before I knew anything about fashunz, got it from a goodwill for 5 bucks, I still wear it today even though theres a nasty rip in the back hem. Fabric isn't anything special or anything, but there's just something so perfect about it.

The tags on mine are gone, and I wouldn't hold a blacklight over the shirt, but it drapes really nicely. It's a bit oversized on me too, but it looks perfect. Made me second guess whether or not I wanted a fitted Thom Browne just because I love the slouchy look (i always wear my button downs tucked, just for reference).

BB XSF oxfords don't fit me in small. they are pretty slim imo at the waist. i've had my bad luck w/ them so kind of a turn off, in terms of CS. material felt thick and substantial though.

personally i really like the rugby uni. oxfords currently. after a wash the collar rolls nicely. sizing, i think it may not meet the standards here. small fits me great without any pulling, still slim. looking for other labels with similar cut.

may try BB slim fit in small next time tho... just my 2 cents

Agreed, great fabric but could be slimmer. The 14.5 fits similar to my TB1 in the shoulders and neck but is kinda billowy in the back.

Yeah my experience with them has been pretty much the same. Fits great in the neck and chest and fits good enough in the sleeves... but billows out at the bottom.

I've owned/ now own Thom Browne, Mark McNairy, Gitman Vintage, and Uniqlo oxfords.

Uniqlo's fit is decent, especially through the arms, though the quality is noticeably worse than the others that I've mentioned. I once owned a pretty decent quality one though that I purchased from the UK a couple years back. Unfortunately that was tagged M and it fit like an XL. Go figure.

Gitman Vintage Fabric is substantial, albeit rough? Not as smooth as Thom Browne or McNairy. Fit is slim for the most part (not skinny like BoO). The back blooms like a motherfucker though due to the box pleat. I'd say if you could get em for $100 they're alright. Definitely can't tuck though.

Mark McNairy Cloth is real nice, though I have an issue with the button placement on the placket. Seems like the space between the top button and the second to the top button are set pretty far apart. So it'd work if you button up all the way. Also you definitely need to tuck in as the tails are long as fuck.

Thom Browne Probably the nicest fabric/weight I've got. Really beefy feeling yet smooth?(idk) Fit is the best too, nice and slim everywhere, except it does have hip flare, which is noticeable if you raise your arms/cross your arms. Though I don't think it's noticeable if your arms are at your sides. I'll probably tuck in when I'm wearing trousers for work.

so I STILL haven't found the perfect fit OTR oxford shirt yet, but fuck it, I may just tailor them, or just end the search here and move on to something else.

Doesn't Gitman make McNairy? I know they make BoO and a few other brands shirts. I swear by the Gitman Vintage shirt. I love the way they are made. The only thing I don't like is that fact that their fits are hit and miss. For instance my standard blue oxford fits a full size larger than my white one... even though they are tagged the same. Pretty common for their shirts. That's why I always try them on and never order online.

Doesn't Gitman make McNairy? I know they make BoO and a few other brands shirts. I swear by the Gitman Vintage shirt. I love the way they are made. The only thing I don't like is that fact that their fits are hit and miss. For instance my standard blue oxford fits a full size larger than my white one... even though they are tagged the same. Pretty common for their shirts. That's why I always try them on and never order online.

Idk, really. I sold my Gitman Vintage oxford, so I was just writing based on what I remember ... I do own a Gitman Black Chambray still but I can't compare that to oxfords. But from what I remember of Gitman's fabric, my TB shirt feels a lot smoother. Nevertheless, even if they are all made in the same factory, fit between BoO, Gitman, McNairy, TB are all definitely different.

No.

The RN# on my McNairy shirt is 93986

That number corresponds to the Retail Brand Alliance name, which is the same company that owns Brooks Brothers.