Evisu is still loved!

benzak

hey cotton i dont know if you mentioned and i missed it where are you. tokyo, osaka, hong kong. cause i remember the evisu store i hit was pretty cool, salesguy was following me quite a bit, but the fact they were out of teh pair i was looking for kinda soured me and i left with out really looking as good as i could.

also did you see this shirt. http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/threelove/img10502845718.jpeg

hella want this

The whole quality thing is ofcourse subjective, but I would much rather go with a pair of 45rpm's.

Also something to be said, however weird it sounds, I'm not here (here being Tokyo btw) looking to buy another pair of jeans, I don't need it and can hardly justify it to myself. Also my taste in jeans is currently so specific that not much I've seen here so far has excited me.

If I were ever to buy another pair of Evisu's it'd be the 2000's in No.1 denim, either blank, ecru or black, or maybe with some Kanji. And if I were to really start collecting denim it would be one of the first pairs I'd get.

There's no denying how much of an classic it is, and for me too Evisu is where all of this started, however I was disappointed by the store and by the brand as a whole, I was hoping that they would have regained a bit of their cool, and I had my hopes high from the Tateoti book, so it was sad to see that a big part of their store was filled with Bape like mulitcolour treebark camo matching jeans and jackets.

What they were doing with the Yamane brand reminded me much more of the experimental early days of Evisu, just a bit too loud for my taste now, but there was fun in it, Evisu to me seemed to still be riding on their "Hype" image, I'd personally rather see them go back to their roots, and forget about the whole "fashion" thing.

There were numerous jeans in the Tateoti book that I would have picked up in a heartbeat...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is because of that soft spot I still have, that I was disappointed...

Oh hi....wow I've been too busy to drop in much lately. Lots to read when I'm here though!

yea, it's pink selvage on the broken twill. It's too dark too early for decent pics but I'll try soon. You could "flash it" if you want, lol. It's so subtle no-one would notice. The trouble is that the 0005 cut is so damn slim at the bottom.

Speaking of which, I seem to remember that the broken twill was originally supposed to be available in a fuller cut. Cheep, were your brown box the bigger cut rather than the 0005?

I think I'll still be a fan for a long time, if only for nostalgia's sake, because Evisu really introduced me to repro denim. Like this catalog I posted last year. This brings a tear to my eye.

Yeah, I saw that thread when I was doing some reading up when I first started finding out about all this shit. Great stuff. I still (bizarrely) remember the first time I saw Evis featured in the UK in the now long-defunct Sky Magazine in 1993 (i only remember the year because I took the magazine with me when I moved to the Far East).

Evisu to me seemed to still be riding on their "Hype" image, I'd personally rather see them go back to their roots, and forget about the whole "fashion" thing.

There were numerous jeans in the Tateoti book that I would have picked up in a heartbeat...

Don't get me wrong, I think it is because of that soft spot I still have, that I was disappointed...

I can feel what you're saying and it's a shame if, as it seems, they've become bogged down in all that hype even back in Japan. I posted somewhere above about how I felt Evisu International should sell themselves on the back of the denim and not the branding so I agree totally...I'm still too much of a noob to be able to comment on the quality of the denim though, but it certainly feels to me in a different league to what I've handled so far...Never touched 45rpm denim though...

But yeah, it's expensive. I'm glad I bought my pair last year, when the yen was still weak.

And yeah! Even getting mine earlier this year was a good move... :)

As far I can tell, the quality of the denim, for both the international and Japanese line, hasn't really declined too much. Not to mention that you can get the International line for ridiculously affordable prices. I've been wearing a pair for about 6 months (had them since last year), and they barely look worn. BTW, the denim is d67.

In terms of gaudiness, Evisu can be pretty damn tacky at times. I do like some of their pieces though. For instance, if they were to sell this vintage college style cardigan-

http://international.evisu.com/collections/mens/products/ushi-zip-thru-cardigan-white

-on the main site, I might consider buying one. I also like that fireman, selvage denim jacket. But some of that shit is pretty tasteless.

Like WTF is this?

http://international.evisu.com/collections/mens/products/tukimi-special-jean

Don't want to forget about these:

http://shop.evisu.com/collections/mens/products/mens-selvedge-black-kamome-jean

http://international.evisu.com/collections/mens/products/classic-plain-pockets-slim-jeans

Too bad they don't sell the 2nd pair in the U.S. If the pair I've been wearing is any indication, d67 denim is a bitch to fade. Plus it's heavier.

Honestly, regarding ^those two posted, just man up already, save a little longer and have someone proxy you a pair of No.1's from Japan...

I agree. I think the Heritage Line is great Denim so that would mean that No.1 is fucking unbelievable. Sine my co-worker told me she was taking a trip to Japan I've been trying to convince myself that the No.1 is worth the money and hopefully when March come's and she return's I'll finally say I have a No.1 Evisu!

The whole quality thing is ofcourse subjective, but I would much rather go with a pair of 45rpm's.

Also something to be said, however weird it sounds, I'm not here (here being Tokyo btw) looking to buy another pair of jeans, I don't need it and can hardly justify it to myself. Also my taste in jeans is currently so specific that not much I've seen here so far has excited me.

If I were ever to buy another pair of Evisu's it'd be the 2000's in No.1 denim, either blank, ecru or black, or maybe with some Kanji. And if I were to really start collecting denim it would be one of the first pairs I'd get.

There's no denying how much of an classic it is, and for me too Evisu is where all of this started, however I was disappointed by the store and by the brand as a whole, I was hoping that they would have regained a bit of their cool, and I had my hopes high from the Tateoti book, so it was sad to see that a big part of their store was filled with Bape like mulitcolour treebark camo matching jeans and jackets.

What they were doing with the Yamane brand reminded me much more of the experimental early days of Evisu, just a bit too loud for my taste now, but there was fun in it, Evisu to me seemed to still be riding on their "Hype" image, I'd personally rather see them go back to their roots, and forget about the whole "fashion" thing.

Interesting- granted, I did not go into Evisu stores in Tokyo, but in Osaka the Evisu store (the one with raw jeans; there were something like 5 Evisu/Yamane stores right next to one another in and around Shinsaibashi) was really down to earth. They had tons of 2000s and 2001s in no 1, 2, and 3, and Lee repros everywhere, and the staff was cool.

I ended up buying a pair of 2000 No 2, I couldn't pull the trigger on the No 1. They were just too expensive. Did I make a mistake? I couldn't reconcile that the No. 1 denim was worth $100 more than the No. 2. I also got red painted gulls, but on reflection I should have gotten the light purple gulls that were that store's trademark color.

I also picked up the Tatoei book. Fantastic.

they sell the slim plain pocket on oki-ni .com, im not buying jeans till my birthday which is may got two pairs of deluxe so spoilt need to get off here really as it allways mkes me want to buy.. :(
Honestly, regarding ^those two posted, just man up already, save a little longer and have someone proxy you a pair of No.1's from Japan...

Juxtaposed for emphasis.

haha, yeah it's crazy that you could buy japanese #'1's for basically the same price as some heritage off the website...but hey, thats why we have ebay. scope it out long enough and you only have to pay $50-150 for the same jeans. I got some US market #1 specials for $50. not bad. I would post pics but my account won't allow it

Well, according to Evisu, the No. 2 and No. 1 are about the same quality and weight. I'm not sure though.

I don't think sot: Although both are quoted I believe to be ~14 oz, No.1 denim seems sturdier and heavier (after shrinkage) based on my experience. But who knows, maybe I'm just fell into the hype.

I can't speak much about the No.2 denim as I've never handled any well worn examples, but I have a 2000 #1 evisu and the quality is amazing. When I first got them and before the soak, they were almost...boring. Nothing about the denim really stood out, but after a soak they got super fuzzy and they keep getting more character. But compared to my friend's--who has been wearing his for over a year at least, mine look totally different. His have more character nuances...So it seems like they just get better with time?

I was not wowed at first glance, but with the 2000 #1 I've grown to appreciate the quality of the denim and the timeless cut over time....so at this my point they're my go to jeans.

Also save up--granted they're more expensive, but if you're already dropping 250-300 for a pair of evis, how much more is 50-80? The dollar to yen sucks right now though, so might want to wait...

.So it seems like they just get better with time?

Let's hope so!

I was not wowed at first glance, but with the 2000 #1 I've grown to appreciate the quality of the denim and the timeless cut over time....so at this my point they're my go to jeans.

Yeah, I agree....The denim seems superlative.

Also save up--granted they're more expensive, but if you're already dropping 250-300 for a pair of evis, how much more is 50-80? The dollar to yen sucks right now though, so might want to wait...

I've been getting them for $100-$170. :P But yeah, I'm definitely going to get a pair at some point. I wish Blue in Green would restock.

Let's hope so!

Haha well I guess I didn't explain it well...I didn't mean better as in sick fadez (although those are certainly there) every decent raw pair should look better with time. What I meant was that I was surprised by the increase in character over time....With okinawas for example I was immediately wowed by character--the random slubs, the hairiness, the slightly sweet smell...(maybe just my imagination.)

But with these they developed these characteristics over time which is what I was saying. san the sweet smell, they actually start smelling like ass if you wear it long enough I suppose

I got some US market #1 specials for $50. not bad. I would post pics but my account won't allow it

Anyone know the story on those? Salaami posted a link to some nicely priced ones a while back. I've looked around sufu and google a bit for more info. I've only managed to learn that there was a bronzed model that used Chinese-made denim, and that they were all assembled in Macau. I'm especially wondering if the non-bronzed offerings used the normal Japanese-made denim.

I don't think sot: Although both are quoted I believe to be ~14 oz, No.1 denim seems sturdier and heavier (after shrinkage) based on my experience. But who knows, maybe I'm just fell into the hype.

I can't speak much about the No.2 denim as I've never handled any well worn examples, but I have a 2000 #1 evisu and the quality is amazing. When I first got them and before the soak, they were almost...boring. Nothing about the denim really stood out, but after a soak they got super fuzzy and they keep getting more character. But compared to my friend's--who has been wearing his for over a year at least, mine look totally different. His have more character nuances...So it seems like they just get better with time?

The main thing here at work is that denim weighs differently pre- and post- soak... surprise! when you have two jeans exactly the same size cut from 14 oz denim, with the difference being one sanforized and one unsanforized, obviously the unsanforized jean is going to shrink when you hot soak it. But it doesn't lose denim in the soak, no no! the denim just compresses so it takes up a smaller space. So by volume the unsanforized jean is going to weigh more after a soak.

Anyone know the story on those? Salaami posted a link to some nicely priced ones a while back. I've looked around sufu and google a bit for more info. I've only managed to learn that there was a bronzed model that used Chinese-made denim, and that they were all assembled in Macau. I'm especially wondering if the non-bronzed offerings used the normal Japanese-made denim.

I think all the denim was actually Japanese made, but sewn together in Macau.

Supposedly, that was a special batch of No. 1 denim that was hand dipped in different types of organic indigo or whatever.

The No. 1 denim jackets that were apart of that batch looked tasty.

Ah, here's a pair of the denim:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evisu-Genes-Jeans-No-1-Special-Emb-Brushstroke-D80-s-34_W0QQitemZ370116796971QQihZ024QQcategoryZ11483QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, the #1 specials I got were from like the year or two before the ones you posted the link for, but whatevers, the denim doesn't change as much as the designs, and thats just for sales sakes. There were a couple pair of those bronze persimmon dyed pairs on the bay a few week back....sold for under a hundo too...although only size 32. but If i could find a pair of brown in my size, dang. those are tight. real slubby and nice.

Thanks, heflys and marvelous. Those seem like a great buy, especially if that is the guy's starting price on them. I've got a line on one of the jackets in my size, heflys. It has audacious dragon kamomes however :o