What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

My first post here. love this thread and inspired by what you guys do in your jeans, here's my account of today.

My wife and I decided to take our work out of the studio today so we headed out to a new coffee place we'd heard of which is located at the fringe of the central area. Since this is after all the wayjdt thread, thought I'd start with some pics of my wh660s.

IMG_5681_2.jpg

just round the corner from where we parked we found the entrance

IMG_5723.jpg

inside we were charmed with the nice courtyard. Most prewar houses (or shophouses) have this type of courtyard in the tropics for ventilation and natural light. In the day it does keep perfectly cool as well with some shady landscaping.

IMG_5687.jpg

while coffee was being prepared, i walked around for a bit. This place is filled with curios and lots of other quirky, interesting stuff.

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5698-1.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

you just weren't sure if this was a shop or someone's home. next the coffee arrived and i catch up with some history of modern architecture in LA through some mag circa feb'91, of one of Lautner's spectacular houses in which The Big Lebowski, Full Throttle and Charlies' Angels were filmed (not that I cared).

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5711.jpg

what's interesting about this place is that you pay whatever you want pending on how well you think the coffee was. We thought they are just great!

IMG_5720.jpg

Next we walked around the area a bit. Leafy and lushly landscaped streets like this are hard to come by now. We secretly wish we could find a place like this we could move our studio into.

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

Next we headed towards an art school right in the middle of the Civic district which is the administrative center of the city. Must say we had a hand in the design of this campus of six buildings some time back, before we started up our little practice. Porosity to the street was important as you can see the public is really free to wander into the campus environment to see what students are doing and the activities going on.

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5743.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

Walked around a bit and noticed what the student population generally wore. We ended up for lunch at the cafe in the background, and this was what we ate.

IMG_5731.jpg

After that we headed nearby to another art school, this time a newly completed one, which was designed to sit on a raised plinth so much so that we had to climb up this flight of stairs

IMG_5745.jpg

and for the physically challenged, this.

IMG_5760.jpg

took another fit pic

IMG_5753.jpg

before heading back into the next building where we ended picking up some cool books at a makeshift book fair.

IMG_5775.jpg

Sorry for the image heavy post and the crappy iphone pics. Hope you enjoyed it!

^^Great pic my man...but that's it? Let's get some more, and if not pics...words. after all, if I were to take the name of this thread literally your post would read, "today my jeans hung out on a tetris-esque wall" and I'm sure they did more than that! Great photo op none the less.

Actually, this page is on fire. Some great stuff here!

Thank you for having the right idea -Z-

Listen to this guy! His updates are always good.

Excellent post. I love your explanation of the buildings.

Don't forget about Lautner's appearance in James Bond, too! I love modern architecture's identification with baddies, eg Goldfinger...

Don't forget Trellick Tower's less famous but older and slightly shorter sister, Balfron Tower in Poplar where Goldfinger and his wife briefly lived. It played a starring role in 28 Days Later.

ninja07 that was such a great first post in here! I love having this little daily life around the world blog. I've learned so many things...places to check out when I'm abroad, great architecture, local food, and some stunning photos which make me feel great that something as trivial as jeans can link a bunch of people from around the world and open a lot of eyes to daily life throughout the US, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa! Just missing south america and antarctica...maybe somebody will someday?! Who knows!

Shouldn't this idea have been in the jetset thread or supertravel, even superculture well before catch thought of it? What a great job on his part getting this thing off the ground last year. Its really all of those things mixed together by a bunch of real cool dudes (and ladies) across the globe...funny that I learn much about the world from a denim page on the web...

Bored work rant done, :rolleyes: but damn I love checking this on my phone during the day!

haha i love when you boys get sentimental about this thread. no doubt it's my fav too!

anyway, continuing on with my travel pics. after japan, i flew to seoul!

my pbj slims walking down a famous street. you'll only find women and gay couples here. tons of cafes and little boutiques.

korea1.jpg

koreans love to dress up, dye their dog's hair and sometimes paint the dog's nails. i've seen pink, orange, green, blue etc. hair before. i thought this one was super cute.

korea2.jpg

desserts!

korea3.jpg

deep fried, battered everything...sausages, hot dogs, shrimp, cheese etc.

korea4.jpg

korean thanksgiving is a time to remember and respect the deceased in the family. this one's set up for my grandfather. the backdrop was hand brushed/painted by my grandmother in japanese writing.

korea5.jpg

after, we went to visit my grandfather's grave in the countryside. i can't get enough of asian mountains...so very beautiful.

korea6.jpg

that's it for korea. i usually don't take too many pictures cause i'm there so often. atlanta trip pics are next~

p.s. i just booked a flight to nyc so stalk me at big and se on halloween day!

yup kanji...i think the japanese still use it...and kana moreso. i don't know why koreans, chinese, and japanese all adopt and interlock characters but i think it's pretty interesting.

and that street is really girly and cutesy. women love cafes and shopping especially cause a lot of them spend most of their time hanging out with each other while their husbands work. generally speaking of course.

^ Ah, I see - don't think we have anything similar in Australia.

P.S.

The reason why?

The Koreans and Japanese, in older times, exclusively used Chinese characters for formal occasions - most noticeable in the higher castes/ranks of society.

E.g. Before the Korean alphabet was invented, the royal historian used Chinese characters to write Korean history.

You're very correct, the Koreans and Japanese still use it now (for example, friend of mine who I'm having afternoon tea with today, he is Korean but has his name formally written in Chinese).

This was because China, in it's glory days of old was Korea and Japan's largest trading partner and biggest military force in the neighbourhood (well, still is I guess) - Chinese culture especially in the Tang dynasty, if I'm not mistaken, has huge influences on the language, clothing, etc of Korean and Japanese cultures.

It's a very beautiful writing, 5000 years in the making, too bad the Commies had to bugger it up...

Some recent phone pics taken while the Eternals were driving into, out of, and around town.....

and today's fit while driving all over town...

5098766190_b264755094_z.jpg

large refinery located just south of the twin cities...

5098099445_8372a0ff72_z.jpg

walking around near the Purina plant...

5098099267_b56ff7e0da_z.jpg

almost all of the fields here in minnesota and down in iowa are done being harvested or baled. the farmers have had a wonderful October for it...

5098699892_32ee90fe35_z.jpg

5098100537_bc068d8bf6_z.jpg

This one was taken this noon meeting up with some people at theUniversity of Minnesota campus...

5098100709_f41580ba48_z.jpg

and this morning while I was driving to work there was a very very very good sunrise. got a couple from the car window...

5098622678_512cf9fa73_b.jpg

This was on the river bluffs by the MSP airport, plane coming in for an early morning landing...

5098022331_b32f4ffe55_b.jpg

thanks -Z-. Your posts, and many others here are one of the reasons for me to share here as well. Agree with you on the blog thing that this thread has really become. Its like a travel journal offering so much diversity all from a local's point of view. Best thing for me still is seeing how each person's jeans and fit fall into their daily life. can never get enough of that.

ninja's boldness inspired me to make my first WAYJDT post... Sunday my jeans went to Fright Fest at Six Flags!

Our first view of the park as it comes over the horizon:

201010171.jpg

Arrived at the park. LVC fit pic/parking lot action shot:

201010172.jpg

This trolley is full of dancing zombies, but it seems to be a better picture of the crowd:

201010174.jpg

Jeans in flight:

201010174.jpg

Brought our lunches to avoid overpriced park food:

2010101765.jpg

Jacket by Pointer, apple by Affy Tapple:

201010175.jpg

The colors!

201010177.jpg

The sun going down behind some rides:

201010178.jpg

These were not made for 6-footers. I hope my real coffin fits better than this. See you later!

201010179.jpg

Guest I LOVE LFC
York, Manchester, London, hopefully Paris in March.

Manchester seems an odd place to go whilst in England? Unless you have family there I suppose or are intrigued by the biggest ton of dick heads you will ever meet?

Manchester seems an odd place to go whilst in England? Unless you have family there I suppose or are intrigued by the biggest ton of dick heads you will ever meet?

haha the scouse and manc rivalry. to be fair, i do agree with the man :D

As an Englishman and a football (soccer) fan, I still find it odd that their are regional hatreds over a trivial sport, just enjoy it for what it is and forget the negativity surely?

Unless the rivalry is still stemming from a 200 year old argument over a canal?

Guest I LOVE LFC

I honestly don't know what to say to this. I can tell you're not a real football fan just from calling it 'soccer' when you're english!

Another thing is, you're from Notts, you have Forest to support, european cup winners, or the oldest club in the world to support, who are the up and coming club at the moment as well as QPR.

I could go in to more, but I can't be arsed, it would obviously go straight over your head anyway.