What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Love that store, and I like the new "shopping" bags in multiple colors...I had trouble finding it cuz google maps led me about 2 blocks away from there, had to just keep going straight and hope...it was cool to see all their other clothing as well, some really sweet stuff...

and tried on the purple faces for fun...but fell in love

pbjstore5.jpg

Not trying to be a creeper, but I think gaining weight was a good move!

Also good call on the purple faces. One day I'll find me a woman who is into denim... and metal...

a guy can dream?

Today I had a business meeting with scooters, had a good lunch and a legal discussion about wanking... and i missed Johnny Depp.

A friend and I are working up a launch project... since the last time I did this I'm amazed how we're all no longer confined to an office. So we always meet in Waterloo, midway between our two houses.

P1070736.jpg

Waterloo is one of London's landmark rail stations, built in 1848. A few years ago, one official from the EU appealed to Londoners to change the name of the station - as it records Wellington's victory over Napoleon, and hence might offend the French. It never got changed.

This bar, the Scooter Café, has been here maybe a decade.

P1070742.jpg

Do you like my new office? Tonight they are showing Orson Welles' the Third Man down here in the basement, where we worked as it was quieter. It is a great place for a meet, good wifi, no disturbances. Just the odd whiff of dodgy Victorian drains every now and then.

P1070744.jpg

The whole place is done out with loads of odd bits of machinery, scooters, newspaper cuttings.It boasts one of the most attractive espresso machines in London - a Faema, I think the model is the Ventura. It's not my very favorite, the E61, which looks like an Alfa Romeo, but it makes damn good coffee.

P1070748.jpg

P1070749.jpg

Got back in time to meet lady t for lunch. WE went to the old brewery in the centre of Greenwich. Before we left, we joked with a shopowner we were going to see Johnny Depp, who's filming the Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in the complex of Georgian Buildings where the brewery recently opened. I'm always posting photos of this place; anyway, all the other ones were outdoors, this is indoors, cos it was raining. Those barreled ceilings are very distincitve - reinforced with metal beams. They're called fish belly beams. I just like that name and wish I had a fish belly beam in my house.

croppedbrewery.jpg

Then we went down to see if we could catch any of the filming. I was a bit circumspect today - because yesterday I wandered down to the film lot in the morning, snapped a couple of boring photos then was collared by a security guars who demanded to look at the photos. I refused. Then he called over some police. We had a 20 minute standoff where I explained it was my right to take the photos... in the end the cops were reasonable, altho the guard told me there'd be a lawsuit in the post. I think he was bluffing. I hope he was...

This time they were much less heavy, but I only snapped a couple.

We walked into the middle of the Wren buildings I've shown before - now they're full of students...

P1070786.jpg

20 yards away from where the students are learning, they were setting up another shoot.

P1070788.jpg

They've used the buildings pretty much as-is, but with a couple of plywood and plaster facades added to each end, and loads of mud splattered all over. Everywhere you walk you'll see a pirate or solider in 14C costume chatting on a cell phone or reading the Evening Standard. It's hilarious, altho this time i was a bit more careful... (I bumped into my old security guard, too).

To get another view of the set we went by this building, the Painted Hall. Designed by one of my fave architects, Hawksmoor, and painted by James THornhill, father-in-law of the William Hogarth, the father of Enlgish satire.

P1070795.jpg

On the way out were more pirates relaxing...

P1070796.jpg

Then I had to rush home for a detailed phone session with the libel lawyer who works for my US publishers. I had around 200 changes to my UK version of the book and the work took around four or five days. UK law on libel and privacy, like the rest of Europe, is complex and illogical. the US, bless it, encourages freedom of speech, so we got all our legal changes agreed after maybe two hours. But we did have a good laugh about one section - there was some debate about the word 'wanking' and whether Americans would understand it.

My cell phone rang a couple of time during the conversation and I got a bit annoyed that lady t was bugging me when I was busy. She'd gone to collect Curtis from school, and the two of them had gone down to the film set again. This time, a security guard called him over and said, "do you like Pirates of the Caribbean?" Baby t agreed... next thing is, he's stnading next to two teenage girls, as two stagecoahes rumble by, with Johnny Depp hanging off the side of one. Apparetnyl he was really cool, and gave the screaming kids a wave...

mrs t didn't mention whether she was one of the ones screaming. I will have to check with the nipper. What's JOhnny Depp got that I ain't? Apart from the $32m he's getting paid for this movie, that is??

I hate you Paul,or better your interesting life,or-even more better-my boring life.you see Johnny Depp and have to explain to my daughter what the two shagging dogs in front of our local supermarket are on about.

"they are practising a little feat for the dog-circus,like a human pyramid,you know?"

late pass but my monday and tuesday were spent flying in and out of salt lake city.

just aerial shots since i was in boring meetings for 14 of the 24hrs i was there...

approaching salt lake city:

5042553638_c1b14c2ecc.jpg

5042556106_36bbd49250.jpg

approaching san diego:

5042556598_3bba12bd21.jpg

5041933363_27993d72e9.jpg

5042558006_c8374f457e.jpg

5041934433_db18bea633.jpg

shot with samsung vibrant phone - 1st 2 had some LR work and last 4 were fx camera program.

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!

icon12.gif

This bar, the Scooter Café, has been here maybe a decade.

P1070742.jpg

Do you like my new office? Tonight they are showing Orson Welles' the Third Man down here in the basement, where we worked as it was quieter. It is a great place for a meet, good wifi, no disturbances. Just the odd whiff of dodgy Victorian drains every now and then.

P1070744.jpg

The whole place is done out with loads of odd bits of machinery, scooters, newspaper cuttings.It boasts one of the most attractive espresso machines in London - a Faema, I think the model is the Ventura. It's not my very favorite, the E61, which looks like an Alfa Romeo, but it makes damn good coffee.

P1070748.jpg

P1070749.jpg

Was Craig the owner there? I've known him for as long as as I've ridden scooters, and drunk his coffee.

Scooterworks is one of the great bars of london and that basement used to be full of scooter parts and all sorts of junk including an old German Zundapp moped that spent some time in my shed too.

My Jeans and I came home from holiday yesterday and picked up this little girl from the breeder today.

5042875192_b52b4e0ae7.jpg

Annabelle - they look great! I never did find the PBJ store in Harajuku - thinking of getting the purple faces for my wife...

Lowrider - your cell phone pics put us DSLR users to shame ;)

Fresco - she looks lke a real sweet pup - congrats! But beware... some dodgy folks around here...

not an expert about dogs(more experienced with shagging),but they looked similar to riff's mungy curs.......

d289198b.jpg

;)

gonna have a post from tonight here when flickr is done uploading my shots, for now...continuing on the farhad, lowrider phone steez. i present last weekend, from Z.

what my jeans were doing early friday morning...hanging by the belt loop while I played a damn fine round on the most beautiful day of the year!

5042468918_063d857ea4_z.jpg

and the rest of these are just shots from the drive home...what a great fucking day.

5042492060_922d1e1836_z.jpg

5042503124_eec4176bd9_z.jpg

5041859613_f8e9b0b2d8_z.jpg

alright, got off work a bit early tonight so that i'd have more time to head into downtown St. Paul and shoot a bit. I haven't really been out much recently so I wanted to get a decent couple hours walk in, and I haven't really cased this city that much (stuck more to Minneapolis).

anyway. it was good weather with a pretty good sunset, but the angles are all goofed up in downtown because it's built into the bluffs on the Mississippi river, so the light is blocked most of the time because the streets aren't in a grid, but I say whatever. i've never been technical with this shit anyway. just compose and shoot whatever looks good in my head.

I'll try to let the pictures speak for themselves (like usual) and take you on the walk with me but i'll speak to a few places as well.

one more thing, not sure why, but i've been back into a groove with monochrome lately, so let me know what you think. i've been doing color for almost the entire year prior.

Snapped this reflection of the District Cooling / Heating Center, which supplies all of the hot and cold water for the businesses and such in this part of downtown. The glass is the facade of the Science Museum, great spot to spend a rainy day.

5043452140_bb1da7846e_z.jpg

the last picture was at the bottom of this staircase, which brings you all the way out from the bottom of the bluff to the top, and into downtown. The river and South St. Paul in the distance. ****during the 4th of July, they do fireworks just to the left of this pic, these stairs fill up completely with people****

5042828649_5652750efc_z.jpg

There's a pretty big observation deck up here which looks out over the river valley.

5043454620_d7c9fd5834_z.jpg

huge water (i assume) tank nestled snugly against the exposed rock at the edge of downtown. I always worry that if we did have an earthquake in the Twin Cities, St. Paul would be proper fucked and collapse off the edge into the river.

5043456182_337882ebfa_z.jpg

there are quite a few old warehouses in this side of downtown (though the vast majority of them make up "Lowertown" which is revitalized into an urban community) somebody is setting up an art gallery in this one here on the cliff, the building actually is built on the same level as the river, but the main entrance is 120 feet up at street level. I need to come back when they're done.

5043458952_e879953e78_z.jpg

if you venture further into downtown along the edge, you can get out beyond the buildings and capture this shot.

5042837131_376907d78c_z.jpg

this guy looked very lonely, but i'm sure he was having a fucking blast out on the water tonight.

5042838383_599265909d_z.jpg

a little bit of skyline for ya...the ornate building wedged in the middle there is the St. Paul Hotel, spent my wedding night there...................................................................................................

5043467610_74e1ec3b89_z.jpg

As I was on my way out of town, there was theater beginning at the Ordway Center, which is a fantastic night on the town, some real old world class, you'll always see the high society of the cities out in their best.

5043474082_e204964aa0_z.jpg

This ramp takes me out of downtown, down 120 ft. through an adjacent parking garage, and out onto a road built underground into the cliff, my favorite (never crowded) way out of this part of town.

5043474504_e472f35af0_z.jpg

on to the next post......

this is the road, actually i'm not entirely sure its safe down here if it gets much later at night, if its not gang activity then there are large groups of homeless that live down here, found tons of rubbish and remnants.

5043475720_33f17c6290_z.jpg

and now for some random shots I took while on my walk...

5042844861_40b0186625_z.jpg

5042842453_a4104898fb_z.jpg

5043473216_8effe4e13c_z.jpg

smelled this guy's stogie from across the park, mmmmmmm.

5043472650_d86d39cc16_z.jpg

5043470112_1962a394b5_z.jpg

5042838499_446bd1c585_z.jpg

5042834099_b38f60b1ff_z.jpg

5043470724_fd4ba9803d_z.jpg

5043464920_f9e8ea5f06_z.jpg

Took a while for me to convince my kid to go to the park... WHAT??? Really? Yeah... It took a while for her to go.

There were a bunch of older kids horsing around on the playground, so we stayed by the swings till they left.

Going down 5 at a time and swinging around backpacks isn't exactly play safe for a 2 year old.

But as soon as they left, she was game.

62294637.jpg

Forget going down the slide, go under it!

But, the fun didn't start right away. Because as soon as the bigger kids left, there was a younger grandad playing with his two granddaughters. Which is fine, but... They started to use the entiiiire playground as an obstacle course.

At first I was like, whatever go ahead. But they just kept doing it! And there were times were my kid was starting to climb up the playground and then one of the girls were trying to go through as it was apart of their "course," and they pretty much forced my kid off the playground, since she didn't move out of the way. My little two year old had to move out of the way. And as she did, she said "sorry." That part pissed me off, because it is a little kids playground, as opposed to the completely different big kids playground.

Then the grandad had to get his fun in! And he did a little round of the course. And he too, blocked my kid from getting onto the playground.

At one point, my kid saw them going up the slide, so she wanted to try it out as well. And then one of the girls wanted to do the course and was standing in front of the slide waiting for us to move. I just looked at her, and then continued to watch my kid play.

They were on the whole thing for about 30+ minutes. And I was tempted to just say let's go, but she wanted to play. So I just had to stand up for my kid.

I looked at the guy and told him "You know this is a playground, right?" I mean, if he realized this AS my kid was trying to play, fine... But it took me saying something for him to actually get it.

Sorry for the long rant, but some people are really disrespectful towards little kids. Especially when the little kid wants to play! How can you stop a little kid from playing!

Anyways...

8e8fe1ac.jpg

I would've been satisfied if he fell off of the slide, which he almost did...

As soon as they left, the fun began and we tore this playground up! She was going down the slide by herself like yeaaaaaah... I was climbing all over this shit like I was a kid. As long as she was happy, everything was alright.

But at the end of the night, a nice cold beer was much needed.

The only place I could stomach going to, for a single beer, was BJs... Hey, at least they got Chimay!

ba74a41c.jpg

Tried Chimay white for the first time, and I have to say... I prefer it to blue, but not sure if it is/isn't better than red.

SO LONG FOLKS!

Last weekend my jeans went to Masaka (a couple hundred km Southwest of Kampala) to visit a friend.

My jeans were firmly planted in the front-center seat of the "coaster" (mini-bus) when I sensed something wrong, looked up from emailing and noticed a matatu (minivan-taxi) crossing the road into a petrol station in front of us, and that it was too close and moving too slowly. I had just enough time think "We're going to T-bone that matatu..." and bear-hug my backpack and other paraphernalia and... BAM.

Fortunately no one was hurt, but everyone yelled real good.

My view, immediately post-collision:

IMG_2284.jpg

I decided not to stick around for the inevitable shit-show, so snapped a quick pic of the victim, hopped in another taxi and hit the road.

IMG_2285.jpg

Pretty uneventful weekend, but exactly what I needed: good company, some good food (a couple shockingly good restaurants in Masaka!) and good relaxing (and just a bit of work...)

Saturday morning, while homegirl was at meetings, I did some work at a cafe as a fantastically discordant local secondary school marching band paraded by

IMG_2287.jpg

(as you can see, I was working reeeeeally hard...)

On Sunday, my jeans stayed crumpled on the floor while we went to Lake Naguvabu. Beautiful.

IMG_2289.jpg

Hugo Boss sunglasses

Limits swim-trunks (from waaaay back in my Rio de Janeiro-days)

And Sunday afternoon/evening, posted up at Cafe Frikadelle (which has BOMB burgers!) to do some work

IMG_2295.jpg

And had some pretty company

IMG_2293.jpg

Ended up the night with a refreshing shower... the way you do when the water's out: jerry-can, bucket, electric kettle, mug. Nothing like a bucket shower to make you feel "clean"

IMG_2302.jpg

And in the matatu on the way back, snagged one of my favorite snacks: "gonja" - roasted banana

IMG_2304.jpg

Today my jeans are about to go do some second-hand clothes shopping in Owino Market, and then some fabric shopping at the nearby fabric shops. More kitenge shirts, here I come!

Ah the playground wars - know them well! Always a few who muck it up for the rest.:rolleyes:

Dkatz - back in action! :D Looking forward to seeing your market haul!

So yesterday, I took a break in the middle of the day, to check something out…

The pups were pretty curious to see where we were going

4128269c.jpg

We drove down to the site of what used to be the old Don Valley Brickworks. This 120 year old company - abandoned long ago - made much of the brick with which Toronto was built.

-Z-, you would have loved shooting here when it was still "abandoned"! Tons of great photo ops!

Now it is under-going restoration, becoming the "Evergreen Brickworks", a large facility dedicated to environmentalism, learning & recreation.

Some first views…

b0f6f2e8.jpg

3452a890.jpg

43247c47.jpg

To the extent possible, the old building are being restored, and for the newer ones, the old bricks are being recycled into the structure.

Old & new

04829296.jpg

71528fd1.jpg

The old brickwork is beautiful…

8e9260dc.jpg

62ae42f0.jpg

continued….

42a96387.jpg

5e5d03ba.jpg

It's pretty much open to the public, and a farmer's market has been established - open every saturday morning.

12b0e3bf.jpg

The facilities are extensive - spacious restrooms, and lots of parking, for both cars & bicycles!

aed0963c.jpg

14a0db47.jpg

6fa49ffa.jpg

A view of the planned area:

0975bddd.jpg

Flowers everywhere - large to small!

4f6cf508.jpg

79f810db.jpg

A great place to wander around & take in the sights and colors!

love the pics riff. looks like a great place to explore! so its semi-open to the public right now?? judging by the map there is sure going to be a lot to see, and a climbing facility?! way cool, love to climb.

redder golden retriever + white mask + playing in the water + even has a red collar.........dang, beatle, bringing back so many memories of my childhood companion............would rep if i could
beatle is the best:) got me missing my pup:(

Same, same. I grew up with 2 labs. Still miss them. Great pic, beatle.

wow- some great pix the last few pages. Quinn wants to thank you for all the rep. apparently, if it was not for him, Sarah or Izzy, I'd prob have. . . none. all the better. . . and there is nothing wrong with my hair elmonice! Vin cut a long time ago and i do nothing cept add some aquanet and tease it out wit a pik. k?

today we went to a kids carnival. it was packed. hard to believe that two days ago the city was almost underwater from all the rain.

show.jpg

there were many kids crying despite all the festive activities

IMG_6348.jpg

Quinn was not one of them cause he was cold chillin w a bag of goldfish!

IMG_6380.jpg

and because his Daddy bought him a cool hickory shirt from Gap

IMG_6343.jpg

we endured the long lines, annoyed parents and whiney kids

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

was it worth it? ask Quinn.

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg