What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

dkatz is making me think, and i just wanna say that, from where this thread started, to where it is now, is pretty damn impressive. thanks to foxes first off for starting this, thanks to each poster, if its only once, or once and a while, or our regular contributors. You always add something unique and entertaining to this little online community. you make my days more interesting. its a blast to read and view all of these different cities / nations / places / and stuff we all do everyday. cheers to all of you!

sick post dkatz! here are just some of the many pics from my spring break in big sur. fellow sufu poster tylortakahisa was there along with some of my other housemates and friends:

the drive over. only ocean filled my field of vision on this turnout

1.JPG

huge steaks- man fuel

3.jpg

redwoods... everywhere

4.jpg

5.jpg

part of the trail of a 25 mile hike leading to some smelly hot springs

6.jpg

7.jpg

pfeiffer beach was a little ridiculous

8.jpg

9.jpg

only denim shot:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

this is one of the most famous spots big sur has to offer. there's a waterfall that falls right onto the sand of the beach. siiiiiick. unfortunately climbing down isn't allowed

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpgthis is the view from the 2nd level of pfeiffer falls which we had to climb to--- facing mortal danger on a quad of shrooms = super fun!

19.jpg

20.jpg

Big Sur has a special place in my heart...

And thanks for the warm comments, everyone. I wish I could make posts like that more often, but unfortunately most of my days are running around to meetings in Kampala, sitting in my office, or (as presently) being laid-up at home with a stomach bug alternately napping, survey-writing and working out logistics for data collection starting monday. Wooo....

borkborkbork- you should definitely come visit! Why did your mom leave? Are you Indian, by any chance (Idi Amin was an asshole...)?

ok after a hard day's work i went with my gal to Honfleur, in Normandy, as it is the first real warm week end of the year.

976145honfleur_2__1_.jpg

890668honfleur_4__1_.jpg

169014honfleur_5.jpg

kinda sweet houses ....

and i found the Mister freedom anchor btw.... just a bit too big to send it back to Christophe...

944208honfleur_3__1_.jpg

hey fang awesome pics. thats going to be part of my summer vacation. one of my friends did climb all the way down to the waterfall. it was a nighmare for him. beautiful pics.

4493113560_c58b1076c5.jpg

Uh Oh, alcoholicallynice, that's awfully cute. You're going to have to step up your own tyke's outfits to keep up. Do they make the Mullholland in child's sizes? Maybe less money on beer & smokes and more on high-end kinder clothing?

Speaking of which, riff, looking good. Inheritance come in?

Dkatz- I always enjoy your photos and stories. I think you're tied for "most photogenic" with this one^^.

hey fang awesome pics. thats going to be part of my summer vacation. one of my friends did climb all the way down to the waterfall. it was a nighmare for him. beautiful pics.

haha yeah i only made it to the 2nd level before the top. my friend actually grabbed a branch on the way up that snapped and slid about 5 feet (potentially to his death) before grabbing another root on the way down. i was tripping out hard at this point. no bueno! :D

Fang - great pics! Big Sur is awesome. Last year, one of my clients took me to Pebble Beach for a round, then we spent a couple of days cruising down Hwy 1, hitting all the usual spots. One of my favorite parts of the world! :cool:

Nice stuff Doc - I bummed around Normandie for a few months after school!

Roy - sold a couple of my older FGSS bikes, so I'm flush!

Gee, my jeans have had a boring week.... tonight was as exciting as it got.... Installing the terrarium for Gerbie the Shredder...

terrarium.jpg

my jeans are ripping today!....

26728_421366651872_683076872_5100505_7758716_n.jpg

i came home extremely tired and slightly tipsy last night, & i dont really remember what i did.. but I vaguely remember hearing something ripping; it sounded somewhat like canvas being torn apart...

i didnt realize the hole until i was at work today; i sat down on my chair, sort of pulled my knees up, and heard them rip..

at least now i have a mini AC vent for my left leg! haha, jk. time to repair!

Friday, we decided to light out from the city. Fron London to Brighton is a one hour train ride, a traditional retreat for londoners, who've escaped on this train line for 200 years. Brighton has always been synonymous with bohemia, louche living and dirty weekends.

The engineering of the station is still impressive today. Check out those soaring cast-iron arches.

p1030446b.jpg

The shops here are beautiful, a bit like london in the 60s, you have trendy shopfronts at gournd level, look up and you will see elegant, distressed buildings, showing their age.

brightonshops.jpg

Brighton was well known for its fights between mods and rockers on the beach back in the 60s. As if in tribute, there are still several mod-based shops. THis is Jump The Gun. Pretty decent suits, Loake brogues and a great, military style waterproof top in the window.

jumpthegun.jpg

Just across the road is another excellent vintage shop - called Dirty Harry's, I really liked this faded carhartt cotton duck jacket. Lots of decent vintage, Big E jackets at reasonable prices, a terrifi kitsch 70s Levi's hotpants and dungarees.

dirtyharryjacket.jpg

And there's one of my favourite guitar shops here too. Fender Japan Jazzmaster and Jag repros. Not happy that they now produce a Jag with humbuckers, I guess that progress.

guitarsy.jpg

After lunch (not bad sushi, at a place called Moshi Moshi) it was down to the pier. Traditional place for traditional Brit goodtimes, ever since they invented the train.

piue2.jpg

People watching. We saw three hen parties, I guess the chicks in pink were enjoying one. Lots of people here wear pink. I like the way you get trendy students and people in pink intermixed. Or even trendy students dressed in pink.

people1q.jpg

people2l.jpg

people3d.jpg

people4i.jpg

MOre traditional seaside sights.

seagulls.jpg

ROck. I was pleased to see you can still get rock in the shape of a Enlgihs breakfast (eggs & bacon) & of course rock to celebrate your fave soccer team, or your marital status etc.

rockjustmarried.jpg

We spent several hours on a brilliant waterride, attempting to grab various soft toys in one of those machines with a hanging claw, and then one of my favourites, where you get to bash small animals. I messed up, on this game you have to hit the mice and leave the cats alone. I battered the cats and lost vital points. Damn.

bashamole.jpg

ON our way, slowly back.

thevictory.jpg

THis old pub, The Victory, is excellent. Unlike almostnice, I am not an alcoholic. I sampled the beers on offer strictly for research purposes. I tried a pintt of the Dark Star Saison. Very nice. THen I had a pint of Sussex Pale ale. THen my research went awry. I drank some more pints but the details are vague for some reason.

This hound was cool. NOt as big as Lendo's dogs, but he matched the decor and was deep and philosophical. We bonded, I think.

insidethevictory.jpg

We came back to the train station via Brighton Pavilion. THis was built byt eh Prince Regent, the future George IV, I guess around 1805. He did the whole thing in a oriental/gothic mix, spending huge amounts on art and interior decoration. His subjects hated him. This place is very surreal, when evening descends and you're slightly confused.

dome1.jpg

dome2.jpg

Just up the road is one of may faourite shops, Dockerills. It sells lots of hardware - dustbins, locks, brass door handles. I can spend hours in here, in a kind of hypnotic state. Sadly, being with the nipper and g'f I could only stare in the windows for 5 minutes. Admittedly, we had spent half an hour in there early in the day. Bought some very nice brass hooks.

dockerills.jpg

We made just about the last train home. Dr Who magazine for the journey. Fell asleep on the way back, I always have great dreams when I'm travelling...

drwho.jpg

my man decided it was time i got over my rational fear of flying and took me up in his plane, i took my yamanes with me

harde.jpg

i can see my house from here

worky.jpg

approaching the bay of islands

cruizing.jpg

withp.jpg

23996106.jpg

back down the coast to oakura to see where my old beach house is being rebuilt

spokie.jpg

down to whangarei heads to circle mt manaia

dokies.jpg

happily.jpg

then i was feeling not to good so we headed home where me and my jeans picked guavas and made guava sauce with dark chocolate and chili in it

everj.jpg

served up on venison sausages with beer battered wedges and some veges

afterk.jpg

tg, that is one beautiful country. great way to capture it too from the air.

anyways, figured a food post would be fun. the wife and I got some breathing room from the little one today (thanks to grandma) and got dim sum for lunch. loved every minute of eating a meal without chasing a child / picking up spilled food, milk, what have you. (actually she's very well mannered, but still, you get the picture)

pbj's on the way to the restaurant.

2010-04-10141900-Version2.jpg?t=1270963232

the crab claws were really, really good.

2010-04-10125513.jpg?t=1270963454

so were the pork dumplings and duck. crispy skin was a perfect texture.

2010-04-10125553.jpg?t=1270963489

shrimp and cilantro steamed dumplings and barbecue pork buns

2010-04-10130150.jpg?t=1270963529

there was much more, but i was too busy eating to take any more pictures with the droid...enjoy sufu.

oh, and the loft is officially official! (pending some really bizarre disaster in the next 2 days) so may 7th look to this thread for move in pictures of the new place!

After looking at everyone's amazing posts with amazing pics, I'm so tempted to buy myself a camera just so I can post on this thread.

props and reps to everyone here!

on the side note (with no pictures)

I hit up the dog park with a group of my friends and their dogs.

My RJBs got all furred and slobbered up.