edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Damn, that was inspiring shit! I need to have technical pencil case!

Tactical pencil case? It's just an older generation Mead Five-Star in-binder one.

3579513487_56f60f9689.jpg

You can easily find something just like it on sale at your local Target/Walmart/office supply stores since the start of school is right around the corner.

2 x Uni-ball Boxy Eraser - Black $2.50

2 x Uni-ball Shu Pencil Lead - 0.5 mm - HB $6.00

1 x Zebra 4C-0.7 Ballpoint Pen Refill - 0.7 mm - Black $1.20

1 x Zebra 4C-0.7 Ballpoint Pen Refill - 0.7 mm - Red $1.20

1 x Zebra Sharbo X Gel Ink Pen Refill Component - 0.4 mm - Black $2.40

1 x Zebra Sharbo X Gel Ink Pen Refill Component - 0.4 mm - Carmine Red $2.40

1 x Zebra Sharbo X SBX Mechanical Pencil Component - 0.5 mm $4.50

1 x Zebra Sharbo X ST3 Pen Body Component - Black $45.00

1 x Zebra Eraser Refill - Size X - Pack of 3 $1.50

1 x Pilot FriXion Biz Point 04 Erasable Gel Ink Pen - 0.4 mm - Black Body - Black Ink $30.00

1 x Platinum OLEeNu High Grade Lead Breakage Prevention Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Black Body $15.00

1 x Platinum Mechanical Pencil Eraser Refill - Size AA - Pack of 5 $1.50

1 x Pilot FriXion Biz Point 04 Erasable Gel Ink Pen Refill - 0.4 mm - Black - Pack of 3 $4.50

Decided to dish out the extra cash for shipping... THIS BETTER BE WORTH IT BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHAAAAAAAAAAAZ.

Will update once shit arrives.

Just curious -- why the sudden interest in the Sharbo? It's been discussed a long time ago and I got mine only cuz I needed 2 inks and a pencil for taking ochem notes. Do you guys really need a multipen? I'm not sure how popular writing in pencil is with people so i thought i'd ask

however do not let this discourage you, it is a great pen nonetheless, especially because it's sturdy for EDC.

^how would that light compare with say a 4sevens quark mini aa overall?

also, opinions on nitecore defender infinity? and where to cop for cheap?

The ET is a 1xAAA light, whereas the Mini AA is a 1xAA. There isn't much out yet about the ET, but based on sales and popularity alone, it will be really hard to beat the Mini AA. The ET also seems to have a twist on for low -> keep twisting for high like the NiteCore EZ series, and that turned out to be a battery-crushing, spring-fuqqing disaster. Furthermore, the ET won't be as bright as the AA, won't have as long runtime, and the modes are probably not as useful.

They are two different lights to compare, tho. A closer comparison would be the Preon vs. the Eagletac, where the Preon will probably win again.

The NDI (was) a popular AA light… It uses a different interface tho, so it might be annoying/confusing. I haven't really looked into it. It's also on the tactical side. It's an old light so it won't be the brightest and I'm not sure if anyone still carries it.

sorry for the late response, i have a lot of questions like these to go through daily :[

thanks dude. yeah i was looking at the ndi because of the 1xaa(easily replaceable batteries no matter what time or where i'm at), pocketable, all those modes including strobe, 145 lumens apparently, like that the bezel isn't flush, and the forward clicky switch to turn on real quick instead of fumbling with a twisty in the dark like other 1xaa lights. i've done some research on a few lights but probably not nearly enough, lol, that's why your expertise in lights would help.

are there other lights with these same features that are better? would be nice to have a strike bezel too.

EDC nerds!
ya fackin flashlight nuuuuuuuurd.
people like branesplode can get their geek on.

uh, fck all yall.

and @Brad: I'm working on a similar recommendation for someone else, but as it stands, 1xAA lights that are tactical, affordable, bright, etc. are very hard to find.

srsly what is the obsession with strobe and strike bezel

it has been discussed a million times that these are practically useless in a self defense situation

the obvious choice is either a supreme kermit deck or the knuckedusters in the back right pocket of your APS NS.

but heres some perspective -- i bought an EagleTac P10C2 NW. tons of tactical features -- 2 cell for better runtime, brightness impact range + grip, forward clicky for silent, momentary activation, XR-E for extra throw/blinding power… i even bought a crenelated bezel for $9 extra and not once have I ever broken glass or skin with that light. it was too big to pocket carry and i would never be out long enough at night to need 2 cells of runtime. i gifted it to my dad to replace the house's maglight and he doesn't even think of it as something tactical, he just thinks it's simple and easy to use. an old maglight would make a better weapon, imo

i only mention this cuz i get a lot of recommendation requests asking for these things but idk man...

another thing is batteries. People are reluctant to try CR123s because they see they're either expensive or "weird," but for something you use as infrequently as a flashlight, CR123s have much longer shelf life and provide more voltage for more lumens in a smaller package. and because they have higher energy density, you get longer runtimes too.

these are even ideal if you use your lights often. if you buy in bulk they're a worthwhile investment. plus if u think an easy to source alkaline is ur best bet, wait til it leaks acid all over your battery tube and ruins your light -- then you wish you would've went with batteries that were the standard in high end flashlights. (surefire only now is releasing an AA light.)

this isn't to say, however, that there aren't any good AA lights.. it's just I used to have the view that AAA lights are more common, smaller, etc.. the performance/size ratio of the CR123as were not hard to get used to at all ;). as far as price goes, because i standardized my lights to accept 123s I decided to buy rechargable ones, giving me even more voltage, more lumens.. albeit i lose runtime, i think it's fine since i don't use my lights for long periods of time.. infrquently enough for me to swap/recharge batteries/rotate lights.

lastly, if you're still really used to AA lights, you might as well get AA lights now and use some eneloop NiMH batteries -- then if you feel the itch for more brightness and your light supports it, upgrade to 14500, which have roughly the same energy properties as CR123as but in the AA form factor.

btw i love when ppl talk about flashlights ^_~

Any light that uses a single battery will not be a good force compliance weapon, it is just too small. The benefit of having a small light like that is you should have it IN YOUR HAND with thumb on activation and be ready to quick burst and blind them. If it is in your pocket or clipped to your belt by the time you realize what's going on in a bad situation, unless you have trained extensively and are very good at it (in which case a light probably isn't your primary weapon) you will not be able to get it in the fight.

I carry keys clipped to back loop of pants, tucked into back right pocket. I have my Kershaw Chive and my EX10 on there. When I'm walking to my car or somewhere at night (or even a parking garage), I have a firm grip on my light as well as my index finger through the ring. The chive is pinched with index finger so i could deploy it FAST because it is assisted opening. The BIGGEST part of self defense is to not get into a situation where it would be needed. I sort of do a Jason Bourne survey of my area I'm in, I've grown accustomed to doing this while on scene as a paramedic and brought it into my every day life.

I'll also add that I've been EDCing lights, knives, and multitools for the better part of 10 years, and have become very comfortable with what works for me, and I change it if I feel I am lacking in some area. I change it up depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and what my limitations are. I have a very well rounded background in training and experience that allows me to think differently than some on here, but as always, I welcome any questions, critiques, or input from you guys (or gals).

I've been working like crazy and been super busy. I'll be hopefully putting up some EDC defense, opinions on knife carry and carry positions, and practical flashlight defense.

I once again will strongly suggest anyone interested in this sort of stuff to do extensive research and reading on this matter as tactics are always being updated, and to take at least a basic self defense class.

I am not a professional and all of the above statements are my opinions, so don't sue me.

Oh yeah I'm in Chicago til saturday so if any sufu EDCers want to meetup and geek over gear and my chicago illegal 4" blade getatme.

^^^...really?

Just the fact that people consider flashlights 'self-defense' weapons is making me laugh. :\

Granted, shining a very bright light in somebody's eyes might momentarily blind them, but will probably enrage them so that instead of just mugging you, they mug you and kick your ass.

Shine yourself with a 150+ lumen light during the day and at night and you'll see how effective it can be. At night it'll give you a solid 5-10 second head start and probably deter someone from chasing after you.

This is a secondary or tertiary reason I carry a flashlight as I mainly use it for many other things, but I know I have that option.

^^^...really?

Just the fact that people consider flashlights 'self-defense' weapons is making me laugh. :\

Granted, shining a very bright light in somebody's eyes might momentarily blind them, but will probably enrage them so that instead of just mugging you, they mug you and kick your ass.

I never knew there was so much information and such a variety of writing utensils. I've always thought a flashlight could be a good defensive weapon, but never by strobing them. Just a simple bop over the head.

^^^...really?

screenshot20100812at104.png

ain't no laughing matter, dude