so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

can we see him attach the pocket to the front piece?

ok, spent the whole day with kuniyoshi-san and took a ton of pictures. the amount of knowledge kuniyoshi-san has surprises me and i've met a lot of jean experts. today, i got to know a little bit more about who he is and why he does this.

he says every young person in japan who is into denim wants to be a designer, but not him. he just wanted to learn the denim craft. to learn what he knows, you have to spend years in a factory in okayama getting paid a crap wage making hundreds of jeans a day. now, he says, almost all of the workers in the japanese factories are foreign laborers--no young japanese person is crazy or stupid enough to work in a denim factory.

his main teacher at the factory was a 65 years old lady (now 75 years old) who has been a professional seamstress since she was 15 years old. she has seen the evolution of the japanese denim industry from the beginning. this lady and the other old-timers took kuniyoshi-san under their wing and taught him the lessons that they learned over 50 years in the business. they treated him like a son because it was so unusual for a young japanese man to take a low-paying factory job. even to this day, he will visit his old teachers to improve his technique. he truly is one of the last old-school japanese denim artisans.

in japanese, the word for "artisan" is "shokunin." to be a shokunin, in the japanese sense of the word, you must dedicate your entire life to your craft. everyday is spent on improvement of your skills no matter how mundane and no matter how well you have mastered them. he is constantly searching for the perfect stitch. for this, i have a huge amount of respect for mr. kuniyoshi.

i can't tell you explicitly which jeans he has helped manufacture, but he has helped to sew the most coveted and expensive high-end denim brands in the world. it's crazy to me that years ago when i was lusting over certain jeans that he was in a stuffy factory in okayama making them.

anyways, i'm glad i met this guy. who would have thought that there would be someone like this living in koza city, okinawa?

yes, he has a standard 50's 501 cut.

miz how much? shrink form tag size or shrink to tag size?

i need at least a 14 15 16 oz denim with vintage-y feel back pocket arcuates like levis can this be done?

i got a little surprise from kuniyoshi-san today. he is working on a brand new batch of jean jackets and he made a couple samples. he gave me one as a gift!

he still has to put in the hardware, so it is looking kinda plain. actually, at this stage, it looks like the jacket i made a long time ago in brooklyn. :)

it fits a little big but it will shrink down to size after i soak it.

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

p.s. before i sign off tonight, i want to mention that kuniyoshi-san reminds me a lot of gordon at BiG. the reason why is that they both slaved away in a garment factory for years to learn a dying art--now, they are among the remaining experts of the craft of making clothes the old-fashioned way. they both have an incredible passion for what they do that is well past obsession. they have both worked on the most prestigious clothing brands in their respective fields. and also, they are both truly humble, down to earth cats--that are finally, reluctantly, starting to get their shine. big ups to big g in nyc. when these guys finally meet it will be epic.

i got a little surprise from kuniyoshi-san today. he is working on a brand new batch of jean jackets and he made a couple samples. he gave me one as a gift!

he still has to put in the hardware, so it is looking kinda plain. actually, at this stage, it looks like the jacket i made a long time ago in brooklyn. :)

it fits a little big but it will shrink down to size after i soak it.

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

I can see the resemblance…

backpocket stitching. kuniyoshi-san has elevated it to somewhat of an artform. he can stitch pretty much any design onto denim. he also can get ANY design or photo embroidered on denim--i will show you this in another post.

one of his customers had requested that kuniyoshi-san's brand, double volante be stitched onto one of the back pockets. here's how he does it.

first, he writes out the lettering in chalk.

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg