so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

more sewing. kuniyoshi-san says he purposely makes the stitching a little uneven, so people can tell that it's hand-stitched.

we discussed how ironic it is that back in the day, people went to great lengths to do away with all the human errors in the process, but now, the "errors" are the only way you can tell if there was any humanity involved in the process at all. there is a scene in the will smith movie seven pounds where they talk about this.

DSC_0326.jpg

done.

DSC_0337.jpg

i have decided to have him draw a treble clef and staff with some notes. not sure which melody to have him put on there. two i am thinking of are "blue in green" by miles davis (wasn't thinking of BiG, but ironically, it's one of my favorite miles davis songs) and "naima" by john coltrane. i'm open for suggestions...

time to talk bartacking. bartacking requires another machine. we moved to where this machine was. in the room were some of his favorite vintage t-shirts:

DSC_0340.jpg

in the corner was a mic and a recording machine. i asked kuniyoshi-san what it was used for and he said his mom volunteers for an organization for visually impaired people. she records herself reading books and burns the audio onto cd. this way, people who are visually impaired can enjoy books and magazines that haven't been published in braille or audio. thought that was pretty cool of her.

DSC_0339.jpg

anyways, here is the actual bartacking machine:

DSC_0338.jpg

first off, he always uses a dark thread for bartacking the pockets. if he uses a light colored thread it doesn't look good.

DSC_0342.jpg

first he adjusts the size for the particular area. the bottom one is the size he's gonna go with.

DSC_0347.jpg

time to do the damn thing:

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

and voila, we have a nice bartack.

DSC_0355.jpg

he believes they are from the early 60's. these jeans are unique because they show the period when levi's jeans were in transition.

these jeans have hidden rivets, so they are before 1966 when they stopped putting in hidden rivets.

DSC_0373.jpg

however, the patch is paper, which means it's post 1954 when they did away with the leather patch. also, the "every garment guaranteed" is still visible which was removed sometime in the early 60's.

these are a pair of 501 ZXX's with the old school steel "gripper zipper."

DSC_0377.jpg

the big E is holding on for dear life:

DSC_0371.jpg

when you flip it over the pocket over, you can see that if he had used a light colored thread, it would have looked bad.

DSC_0357.jpg

I always wondered how a bartack like that on the backpockets was made.. I always thought it was a different kind of bartack! now I get it, thank you miz!