so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

DSC_0399.jpg

woah woah woah. sorry to get too far off topic, but the address on that is a block or two from where I used to work. When I worked at my old firm I frequented the Weatherly building as they were the most easily walkable place to find a DHL dropbox. The building is really very beautiful:

weatherly_photo1.jpg

weatherly_photo2.jpg

photos9.jpg

sorry to run off topic. I just like the idea of that old medkit making its way from The Weatherly all the way to Okinawa and into the hands of kuniyoshi-san.

it's so cool to finally know how hidden rivets are placed the right way... i'm pretty sure everybody reading this thread learns some new stuff. btw miz, did you tell kuniyoshi-san about all the positive replies on your thread?

it's so cool to finally know how hidden rivets are placed the right way... i'm pretty sure everybody reading this thread learns some new stuff. btw miz, did you tell kuniyoshi-san about all the positive replies on your thread?

yeah, i showed him all the feedback and he is very flattered and happy.

time to sew the pockets onto the back.

kuniyoshi-san has a foot fetish. well, only for sewing machine feet. he has a nice collection of different feet. each one does a different job.

DSC_0419.jpg

for this job, he will use the one on the right. it is smaller so it can rest easily onto the edge of the pocket. however, the disadvantage is that it has less traction, so using this foot requires more pushing pressure from the seamster.

DSC_0422.jpg

changes are made with a screwdriver.

DSC_0423.jpg

now, for the inner seam. vintage jeans and places like warehouse like to keep the inner seam as close to the outer seam as possible. this means that both seams hug the tag for the hidden pocket rivets.

DSC_0439.jpg

however, kuniyoshi-san prefers to make the inner seam start a little bit wider and swoop inwards. he likes the aesthetic of the curve.

his inner seam starts a little wider:

DSC_0441.jpg

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

now, let's examine the anatomy of the back pocket seams. notice how the inner seam curves slightly inwards giving the pocket more of a contoured look.

DSC_0455.jpg

this part of the pocket requires heavier thread.

DSC_0456.jpg

you can use lighter thread here. a lighter thread also contributes to the 3D look that kuniyoshi-san is always looking for.

DSC_0457.jpg

maximum puckering happens at a distance of 6 millimeters between the inside and outside seams. you can go to 5 millimeters if necessary, but 7 millimeters is a little too much for kuniyoshi-san's taste. he's been doing this so long that he can tell the difference between millimeters using only his eye.

DSC_0450.jpg

I'm sure by the time Miz got his pair done he would be able to publish a book on jeans crafting....call it a guidebook for SUFU'ers or something. Well, at least I'm pretty sure I can use this thread to convince the lady next time I'm buying a $200+ piece of garment.

ok, continuing with our story.

we took a little coffee break. in japan, they sell these tiny canned coffees which are like crack in a can. anyways, the latest canned coffee craze is starbuck's double shot. i am not sure if they have this in the states, or if even it has the same taste, as the ones in japan are made in cooperation with suntory company.

DSC_0470.jpg