so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

the interesting thing about the japanese denim industry is that a lot of times, they had absolutely no idea how the americans made certain parts of the jeans! most of the time, the japanese had to reverse engineer the way the jeans were made. many of the machines used in jean manufacturing in america did not exist in japan.

this is a very good example of this phenomenon.

for years, japanese jean factories couldn't figure out how the americans would chainstitch all the way to the end of the waistband:

DSC_0665.jpg

again, it was warehouse who figured it out. they customized a japanese chainstitcher so that it would stitch the whole length of the waistband.

kuniyoshi-san has a customized kansai special for this purpose.

kansai special was a japanese company that wanted to make machines as strong and reliable as the famous union specials--so, they mimicked the name out of respect. now, kansai specials are also revered in the sewing world.

DSC_0672.jpg

so many of my questions about old techniques are answered! although I still dont understand why you'd be needing a special chainstitch machine for the waistband attachment with chainstitching all the way..

Miz: can you ask mr. kuniyoshi why the interlock stitch is prefered over a double lapseam on the inseams? I prefer double lapseam because it is a cleaner technique.. (I used this in my own jeans as well)

so many of my questions about old techniques are answered! although I still dont understand why you'd be needing a special chainstitch machine for the waistband attachment with chainstitching all the way..

Miz: can you ask mr. kuniyoshi why the interlock stitch is prefered over a double lapseam on the inseams? I prefer double lapseam because it is a cleaner technique.. (I used this in my own jeans as well)

I am assuming the interlock stitch is to stay true to levis processes.

I'm also wondering about this. Isn't it more common with a lap seam or maybe double stitch on the inseam rather than a single stitch? And what is best to prevent a crotch blowout?