what to do with $300 workpants

klue

Actually of all activities people on here do that could be accurate to old-school workwear activities that's not too far off. Lots of other guys on here use them for construction or welding or biking or just wearing around, but I'm gonna go ahead and posit that none of them are working in coal mines.

Those photos are about the closest thing to coal-mining-fade-causing activities you could expect.

I suspect his pair will look pretty cool when the dust has settled.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually of all activities people on here do that could be accurate to old-school workwear activities that's not too far off. Lots of other guys on here use them for construction or welding or biking or just wearing around, but I'm gonna go ahead and posit that none of them are working in coal mines.

Those photos are about the closest thing to coal-mining-fade-causing activities you could expect.

I suspect his pair will look pretty cool when the dust has settled.

Now, I'm no expert when it comes to coal-mining, but I think there might be a little bit of a difference between deliberately sliding down a pile of rubble and....you know, working in a coal mine. Now, I understand the place they are at resembles, and might even be, a coal mine, but I'm not quite sure how that translates into support for the idea that what they are doing in the pictures is closer to coal mining (in terms of fading potential or patterns) than construction for instance. I am trying to think of an analogy that would demonstrate what a ridiculous assertion this is, but I don't think I am creative enough to come up with something nearly as ridiculous.

However, I certainly don't disagree with the idea that these will be interesting in a couple months, although I have a couple predictions about what might keep them from being grails for most people.

so to sum it up, some people here feel that if those guys didnt wear jeans, they wouldnt be doing the shit they're doing now?

Klue's signature "The jeans made me do it" is a pretty strong indicator that this is the case.

I gonna agree with tmadd entirely.

It's the whole contrived 'doing things for the fades' and trying too hard to be wacky that turns me right off this 'crew'.

Coal miners certainly didn't slide down gravel mountains to make their jeans look rad and then go and post pictures on the internet.... did they? This business is closer to pre-distressing and sanding than natural wear. If that's what they wanna do though it's up to them.

In the end though i think the best jeans are naturally well worn jeans. It's been said many times before, wear your jeans and live your life. They will fade naturally and become part of you.

get a job, gravel hugging hippies.

Are they really hippies though? I see immature city/college kids (who I'm betting didn't grow up in State College or rural PA), who's parents probably paid for those jeans, and are trying to desperetaly to be something, though they're not quite sure what.

And as others mentioned it's the trying to hard that probably irritates most people, not the actual wear.

dont misunderstand me, I didnt mean to imply that coal miners spend all their time tobogganing down huge mountains of rubble and screaming with glee as they do so.

But if we're comparing typical sufu types of activities done in jeans (posing on the runway, skateboarding at the mall, etc) what he's doing is much closer to accurate miner activities in comparison...

just because there's an incline doesn't make it any different than rubbing your ass on the street to get more fades.

it's all pre meditated.

it's just that they painted 300 dollar classic jeans to look like douchebag pants.

and come off holier than thou we breathe denim type of shit.

If you spend 300$ in a night out no one will complain. If you spend it on jeans and do the things mentioned above it's like molesting a child (instead molesting a pair of jeans). it sure is healthier to your body and your mind to spend your money on jeans... :)

What does the $300 dollars have to do with anything?

If they were wearing 501stfs the pics and commentary would get as much hate (although by now the jeans would be in tatters).

It's the fact that the whole thing reeks of attention whoring in the worst way.

But if we're comparing typical sufu types of activities done in jeans (posing on the runway, skateboarding at the mall, etc) what he's doing is much closer to accurate miner activities in comparison...

Closer in that coal mining and sliding down gravel hills both involve rocks? lol...

It's arguable that skateboarding is closer to mining than that because both skateboarding and mining are activities that people actually do for reasons other than fading their jeans.

As someone else said, I think real construction work is the closest.

so to sum it up, some people here feel that if those guys didnt wear jeans, they wouldnt be doing the shit they're doing now?

Yes, Khakis wouldn't hold up neither would predistressed American eagle jeans

I gonna agree with tmadd entirely.

It's the whole contrived 'doing things for the fades' and trying too hard to be wacky that turns me right off this 'crew'.

Coal miners certainly didn't slide down gravel mountains to make their jeans look rad and then go and post pictures on the internet.... did they? This business is closer to pre-distressing and sanding than natural wear. If that's what they wanna do though it's up to them.

In the end though i think the best jeans are naturally well worn jeans. It's been said many times before, wear your jeans and live your life. They will fade naturally and become part of you.

Sitting in a box on your wallet is what you are suggesting as natural?

Are they really hippies though? I see immature city/college kids (who I'm betting didn't grow up in State College or rural PA), who's parents probably paid for those jeans, and are trying to desperately to be something, though they're not quite sure what.

And as others mentioned it's the trying to hard that probably irritates most people, not the actual wear.

This is the best all around point made yet.

Klue...please stop using the argument that people want you to sit on your ass. No one wants you to sit on your ass. If you were a construction worker, or had pictures of woodworking/welding like almostnice posted, then people wouldn't say word 1. The fact that your 'crew' seems to revolve your entire lives around the jeans, and are trying too hard is what people are annoyed at. Natural fades can come from a lot of different actvities....but they are natural not contrived. Your fades look like the fades I've seen in the SuFu parents thread (or whatever it's called), but those kids don't have a choice of whether to crawl around on the ground or not.

Oh and.....Can you tell us where your next 'denim fading specific trip' is going to be?

BTW...great point stacks. The money isn't what matters. $225 or not, this is silly.

tmadd, great arguments all around, and a fantastic point about the signature.

One more thing, I can't emphasize enough how lame it is to refer to one's group of friends as a crew. I fucking cringe everytime I read that.

Sitting in a box on your wallet is what you are suggesting as natural?

"Hear ye, hear ye! The intergalactic jester proclaims this conformity factory closed!"

Really though, it's great that you're having fun, but you're not ushering in a new era of gravel-dragging denim enthusiasts. Minds have not been blown. Enjoy your pants.

If they go to whatever place to do whatever extreme thing they're going to do, because they want to see how it will affect their jeans I say, "why the fuck not?" it's gnarly and interesting to look at, let them be. As far as their whole attitude, I'm surprised people would be mad at shit like this, when there are noobies getting a ridiculous amount of verbal abuse (that's actually quite disturbing) for posting boring outfits in the waywt threads.

What irks me slightly on this is the lack of respect for their money and/or property these people have. Most people have to work damn hard to be able to afford what are pretty expensive items of clothing. To deliberately fuck them up seems plain odd.

On one level, I personally couldn't give a toss what these guys are doing to their jeans but it seems a flagrant waste of their money and it's being rubbed in our faces somewhat.

deliberate fading // dadaesque experimentation ===worddd, chill-drens play adult awareness, chaos spoken thru apokalips... skywater invokation indigo stains whiteness remains.. lovely day to smoke spiraling surface... life abstracted hyperreal simulacra level 4

deliberate fading // dadaesque experimentation ===worddd, chill-drens play adult awareness, chaos spoken thru apokalips... skywater invokation indigo stains whiteness remains.. lovely day to smoke spiraling surface... life abstracted hyperreal simulacra level 4

This is Off Topic.

man have you been smoking your fucking jeans or something?

What irks me slightly on this is the lack of respect for their money and/or property these people have. Most people have to work damn hard to be able to afford what are pretty expensive items of clothing. To deliberately fuck them up seems plain odd.

From personal acquaintance, I know these guys' actions are far from disrespectful. You should see how much time they spend admiring their jeans. Sunlight is no longer a warm feeling on your face, rather the perfect light to check your fades with.

I value the wear they are giving their jeans as the best product research available--I want a pair of Full Count.

Besides, they are just jeans; it's just money; the apocalypse is near: don't buy CitiBank stocks, gear up.

this is by far the most dumb thread on sufu

who fucking cares how these guys wear their jeans?

So.. it is stupid that we care, but it is not stupid that you care that we care?

Fail.

From personal acquaintance, I know these guys' actions are far from disrespectful. You should see how much time they spend admiring their jeans. Sunlight is no longer a warm feeling on your face, rather the perfect light to check your fades with.

I value the wear they are giving their jeans as the best product research available--I want a pair of Full Count.

Besides, they are just jeans; it's just money; the apocalypse is near: don't buy CitiBank stocks, gear up.

I enjoy masturbation. Does that make it cooler?

The whole gripe is not that they don't enjoy it. Our (my) problem is.. ah whatever. Go see my post on the body builder in this thread.

good point, but if you wish to get in good health, then you exercise. be it at the gym or playing sports, the end objective is the same. however, if you obtain muscles faster, then you can start using them sooner. (i lingered too much with this analogy.)

correct me if i'm wrong, but it seams that what is controversial is their means to the (shared) end. their respect towards an amazing craftsmanship is also in question. i believe that the time they spend attending to their jeans is a sign of respect. moreover, their means give life to an inanimate object. flagrantly horsing around spreads this life throughout the community.

also, you buy a good car to go fast on curves and not spin out. you could also drive slow, but the potential is there. you buy a car with big wheels to go mudding, or you can only drive the interstate with the fear of getting it dirty. maybe the jeans weren't made to slide down mountains or rubble, but the potential is there.