what to do with $300 workpants

klue

it seems that this discussion polluted the fullcount contest thread, so i thought id start a thread to continue the disscussion without filling the fc thread. I feel that pants that are this durable need hard experience, others feel that pants with this much craftsmanship should be treated like glass. What is the most respectful way to wear them? wear em hard because they were designed that way? or treat them gently for longest possible lifespan?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems that this discussion polluted the fullcount contest thread, so i thought id start a thread to continue the disscussion without filling the fc thread. I feel that pants that are this durable need hard experience, others feel that pants with this much craftsmanship should be treated like glass. What is the most respectful way to wear them? wear em hard because they were designed that way? or treat them gently for longest possible lifespan?

i think it would be a disrespect to the quality and craftsmanship that goes into making them to not wear the shit out of them until they were falling apart around your feet.

The only clothes that I spend serious money on are the couple of pieces that I wear everyday. I have 2 jackets that I spent quite a lot on and they get worn for everything. My jeans get worn everyday for whatever i'm doing and hopefully they'll show this later on in their life. This is 'WORKWEAR' after all.

Very expensive vintage pieces on the other hand are a different story, of course i can understand people keeping them in best possible condition. But if your going to spend serious money on *new* jeans/workpants - wear them to death!

EDIT. hmmm.... I hadn't read the fullcount thread before posting this, so my post may have been taken out of context. As I said, i'm all for wearing the shit out of your jeans, but I also think that what makes them unique is their NATURAL progression and wear and tear. I personally wouldn't paint my jeans gold but I think it's cool that people experiment and try shit out. Each to their own I say, it only makes things more interesting!

i think it would be a disrespect to the quality and craftsmanship that goes into making them to not wear the shit out of them until they were falling apart around your feet.

The only clothes that I spend serious money on are the couple of pieces that I wear everyday. I have 2 jackets that I spent quite a lot on and they get worn for everything. My jeans get worn everyday for whatever i'm doing and hopefully they'll show this later on in their life. This is 'WORKWEAR' after all.

Very expensive vintage pieces on the other hand are a different story, of course i can understand people keeping them in best possible condition. But if your going to spend serious money on *new* jeans/workpants - wear them to death!

EDIT. hmmm.... I hadn't read the fullcount thread before posting this, so my post may have been taken out of context. As I said, i'm all for wearing the shit out of your jeans, but I also think that what makes them unique is their NATURAL progression and wear and tear. I personally wouldn't paint my jeans gold but I think it's cool that people experiment and try shit out. Each to their own I say, it only makes things more interesting!

Hard wear != spraypainting your pants.

Preferring jeans without glitter != treating your pants like glass.

edit: my point is, I don't think anyone on this forum is against hard wear. For myself, at least half of the allure comes from the color of indigo and the changes in that color as the jeans get beat up- so painting over it with acrylics is basically sacrilegious.

edit: my point is, I don't think anyone on this forum is against hard wear. For myself, at least half of the allure comes from the color of indigo and the changes in that color as the jeans get beat up- so painting over it with acrylics is basically sacrilegious.

What I find most interesting about this whole "controversy" is the level of vitriol that the whole "painting" thing has raised in the community.

I understand why someone like Stacks might raise an eyebrow about the concept of adding a foreign pigment/chemical to fine denim (not that it will last very long on their anyway [oil paint would be another story])

What I don't understand is the way that people have taken the actions of (insert crew name here) as personal insults, and have responded with real nastyness and hate. Maybe it has to do with the fact that its part of a competition, but it feels like pre-reformation Europe. I'm just waiting for someone to accuse Klue and co. of witchcraft.

What I find most interesting about this whole "controversy" is the level of vitriol that the whole "painting" thing has raised in the community.

I understand why someone like Stacks might raise an eyebrow about the concept of adding a foreign pigment/chemical to fine denim (not that it will last very long on their anyway [oil paint would be another story])

What I don't understand is the way that people have taken the actions of (insert crew name here) as personal insults, and have responded with real nastyness and hate. Maybe it has to do with the fact that its part of a competition, but it feels like pre-reformation Europe. I'm just waiting for someone to accuse Klue and co. of witchcraft.

Id wear the heck out of them. jeans that cost that much better be worn everyday. I think that if its built tough, it should be worn hard.

Id wear the heck out of them. jeans that cost that much better be worn everyday. I think that if its built tough, it should be worn hard.

First off, I don't know klue and crew. At all. Any impressions are based on things they have posted on an internet forum. But based on that evidence, I can't help but feel their whole ethos is PAINFULLY contrived. I too, remember when I got my first pair of skate shoes in elementary school and went around doing intentionally obnoxious things in them like grinding them on my grip tape so I would look more "legit." The photos of those guys sliding down hills and "longboarding" on gravel remind me of that time in a young man's life when he is trying real hard for cred.

I am all for wearing jeans. But I think it is stupid to go out of the way to get wear on your jeans doing stupid shit. Like I said, I don't know these guys, I don't pretend to. But based on posts and pictures, I think this isn't legit wear, and legit wear IS what I think you should do with $300 workpants.

First off, I don't know klue and crew. At all. Any impressions are based on things they have posted on an internet forum. But based on that evidence, I can't help but feel their whole ethos is PAINFULLY contrived. I too, remember when I got my first pair of skate shoes in elementary school and went around doing intentionally obnoxious things in them like grinding them on my grip tape so I would look more "legit." The photos of those guys sliding down hills and "longboarding" on gravel remind me of that time in a young man's life when he is trying real hard for cred.

I am all for wearing jeans. But I think it is stupid to go out of the way to get wear on your jeans doing stupid shit. Like I said, I don't know these guys, I don't pretend to. But based on posts and pictures, I think this isn't legit wear, and legit wear IS what I think you should do with $300 workpants.

define "legit wear"

define "legit wear"

I would say not doing things simply because it'll fade your jeans faster, thats what seems a bit contrived about it. As one of you mentioned, you all seem to live 'crazy' lives so maybe its just a bit alien to me. But it does smell a bit of try-hard.

That said, I stick by what I said earlier, try shit out, send some of your pics to fullcount they might send you some free jeans for product testing

I would say not doing things simply because it'll fade your jeans faster, thats what seems a bit contrived about it. As one of you mentioned, you all seem to live 'crazy' lives so maybe its just a bit alien to me. But it does smell a bit of try-hard.

That said, I stick by what I said earlier, try shit out, send some of your pics to fullcount they might send you some free jeans for product testing

doing things simply because it'll fade your jeans faster, thats what seems a bit contrived

you're absolutely right man, lets not treat our jeans any differently than any other article of clothing, just wear and wash them normally

and then, when— surprise surprise, our jeans (which we've worn six days a week for eight months with two hand washes and three hot soaks (plus one initial soak)) have such combs that we gotta keep swatting bees away, and our hems look like real ropes, and our lap fades are so crisp that all the ladies around start subconsciously rubbing their thighs together like a bunch of crickets when they see our crotch. (nothing turns a women on more than high contrast lap fades)

yeah! now we've got a beautiful pair of naturally faded denim

you're absolutely right man, lets not treat our jeans any differently than any other article of clothing, just wear and wash them normally

and then, when— surprise surprise, our jeans (which we've worn six days a week for eight months with two hand washes and three hot soaks (plus one initial soak)) have such combs that we gotta keep swatting bees away, and our hems look like real ropes, and our lap fades are so crisp that all the ladies around start rubbing their thighs together unconsciously like a bunch of crickets when they see our crotch. (nothing turns a women on more than high contrast lap fades)

yeah! now we've got a beautiful pair of naturally faded denim

yeah great, thanks for the insight genius. You obviously hold in contempt what a lot of people on superdenim enjoy so why dont you pack up and fuck off to some tree climbing, rolling around in the street forum so you can mingle with pretentious pricks just like you.

yeah great, thanks for the insight genius. You obviously hold in contempt what a lot of people on superdenim enjoy so why dont you pack up and fuck off to some tree climbing, rolling around in the street forum so you can mingle with pretentious pricks just like you.

I thought this was the tree climbing, rolling around in the street forum, dralfonzo.

You're making it into a haterz forum.

Stop, please.

I have nothing against and do not meant to belittle denimheads, I just can't stand this attitude which some people have that their way of wearing jeans is better

I think almost everyone on this forum agrees that it is "the journey, not the destination" of the jeans which is important, myself included

but I believe it is nonsense that so many people also believe that the authenticity of the journey is the most important thing.

The most authentic way to wear your jeans is to wear them sixty years ago, without caring about how they looked, and while working as a cowboy or miner or something.

I disagree with the people who look at this and then try to model their jeans on this platonic ideal by wearing them as hard as possible all the while wearing them as if they didn't actually care about how they were going to turn out and weren't trying to wear them especially hard (lest they cause inauthentic wear)

obviously we all care about how our jeans turn out this thread is testament to that, and the way we wear our jeans is going to reflect this.

I described a very particular way of wearing your jeans not to belittle people who have worn their jeans that way (that would be self-depreciating) but because it is just as ridiculous and "inauthentic" as painting them gold.

shark jacobs, sorry to say but it seems like many care about the end result more than the journey. It seems as though people do many extra things in their jeans JUST to fade them more. for instance, running miles in your jeans regularly is NOT normal.

wear jeans regularly: that means wearing them hard, washing them when they get dirty, and not doing stupid stuff for the sake of fades.

Wow, that ain't my personal favorite look, but more power to them. I could care less how someone wears their jeans, just as long as somebody wears their jeans, rather than hoarding jeans for the millenium, like some hypebeast. For me I like everyday type wear, but if someone wants to paint jeans... then cool have at it.

They are just jeans and I don't see why people would get all bent out of shape over some dudes painting their jeans.

Hey, they are right in treating them as they want to, but Hendodo has a good point.

It seems like they do all their treeclimbing, bodybowling, lavadiving etc. just to get the fades. Like the guy in the gymn that does all the workout in front of the mirror, checking himself every 5 sec.

Then again, if they just do it to have fun, then whatever. I just doesn't go with the whole "wabi sabi, "show your true side", and "relax, take it easy and chill" spirit that gets a lot of praise (it should. I agree) in here.

They are just jeans and I don't see why people would get all bent out of shape over some dudes painting their jeans.

If "bent out of shape" means laughing at and/or calling people out on some bullshit, then I guess I am bent out of shape about it.

P1010529.jpg

BEGAN MARCH 2

THREE RICE STARCHES

MUSHROOMS

TWO PORK GREEZIN'

SIX HOUR BOIL

REPTAILIAN CRAWL (KUNG FU DRUNK)

MUSHROOOMS CHOCOLATES

PENNSYLVANIA PURPLE

JOHNNY APPLE SEED

SEE IF YOU CAN FIND THE KAWAWAKA FISH???

COME SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT

I DO MAKE HOUSE CALLS

WORLD WIDE

I LOVE NORIKO

You can't post shit like this and not expect to get called an idiot.

Sorry, but this is the internet we're talking about.

ps: ride your fucking skateboard/freelines the authentic/legit way - one at a time, by standing on them.