Transatlantic Jeans Project for Two

My friend, 501cult, and I had been searching for a pair of jeans to share and send across the Atlantic ocean every month or three. We plan to share these and give them all we've got and we'd like to keep it updated here.

The search was tedious for a pair of jeans that fit both of our descriptions: a size 30 tight fitting 501-like (as far as details are concerned) indigo-dyed pair of dungarees that were special, but not flashy. After many things being shot down by one of us and a couple of failed attempt to find another pair we agreed upon, we went with the Studio D'Artisan D1336. It's a lower-rise, slim 16oz. left-hand twill jean with very subtle branding including a "branded" suede leather patch. The only information I could find about these jeans anywhere was when Blue in Green was selling them (now mostly sold out): http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=5103&category_id=&manufacturer_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

We got them from another superfuture member rather slightly used at a discount. These jeans have a predetermined life set our for them living in Germany and the united States and travelling across the Atlantic Ocean many times. The first chapter is in the United States.

This is them upon arrival yesterday in their unshrunken state:

6928377_13ca26a689.jpg

6928375_c45ed1e124.jpg

6928374_b306debdae.jpg

6928373_2ae8c3a879.jpg

6928372_14097cc4a8.jpg

6928371_f9400943ef.jpg

6928369_b5d5b8011a.jpg

6928368_d9fa108c5e.jpg

6928367_e53df081d3.jpg

6928366_cd2094c1ea.jpg

Measurements in their unshrunken state: (BiG style but metric)

Waist across: 40.5cm

Inseam: 88.5cm

Thigh: 22.5cm

Front Rise: 25cm

Rear Rise: 37cm

Hem: 19cm

They fit pretty nice and snug in their unshrunken state. We'll see how they fit after the bathtub ritual sometime soon.

6928365_6cd10b8df9.jpg

6928364_95b23994ea.jpg

6928363_7cb352ad34.jpg

I almost forgot: crotch selvedge!

6928362_ed9bde5464.jpg

So I gave them the soaking that they deserve. This was the soaking method (I know I got that chub. Please don't remind me!) There's not much better than sitting in a tub with some sweet denim on drinking a cold one, right?

6947719_dd1a2be92b.jpg

6947721_660831df7c.jpg

Measurements in their shrunken state: (BiG style but metric)

Waist across: 39cm

Inseam: 83.2cm

Thigh: 21.3cm

Front Rise: 23.5cm

Rear Rise: 36cm

Hem: 18.5cm

They got tight!

6947710_f4ef21be65.jpg

6947713_ce71bdaab8.jpg

6947714_3d67885f92.jpg

My secret to breaking in jeans: teach Children in your jeans. It's really all I've got.

6947723_fd2221b3bc.jpg

And here's a tag that was missing.

6947716_fb78c48683.jpg

I've been giving em' hell, but I'll try to find some more.

Hello from the other participant in this project! I very much look forward to receiving these, although I do hope that 386 will rock them hard until they will travel for the first time across the big pond. I like heavily destroyed jeans a lot, but even 386, I think, won't quite manage that in the course of 2 months or so.

What I have to say is that I'm very glad about these babies that we found after a longish period of search and deliberation. I think both from the viewpoint of denim-quality and details, but also from the fit, we hardly could have done better. 386 and I have very similar measurements (well, obviously, otherwise our project would make little sense...), and the fact that these are a rather special pair of jeans (not the standard fare of Studio's, although this brand by itself, of course, is already rather special) we also both like a lot.

So I hope 386 really enjoys these, while I have to suffice with the joy of anticipation for the time being.

good luck guys! so who gets to keep it in the end?

This question has not surfaced between us. We want to regard them as our mutual property, a "vehicle" to show our very strong appreciation of denim, a kind of indigo-canvas that we will each of us fade with our bodies and activities in them, and also a physical bond for our long-distance friendship. So the idea is to keep 'em in rotation between the two of us. With great opportunities for hard decisions to deliberate about, i.e. when/if to wash them, by what method and whatnot.

I've been hanging out and going to university and doing a lot of sitting. I have been sitting with friends, as shown here. One of my friends was wearing a decently faded pair of APC New Standards and the almost not-pictured pair is a pair of Levi's 501 Shrink-to-Fit. I didn't realize my friends had such excellent denim!

6984602_01f3d25a17.jpg

And sometimes you have to lift electric pianos into trucks with friends.

6984603_9e0451cc2c.jpg

when it's time to retire the jeans, i say you should cut em in half so you can tack em on a wall.

No way, both 386 and I are great believers in going on wearing heavy used jeans long after many would say it's time to retire them. They're gonna be worn ripped and torn, but anyway that's music of the far far ahead future.

I run sound sometimes at this all-ages "underground" music club downtown. It's pretty fun. I like teaching other people how to do the sound so I don't have to be there so many nights a week. You feel me? But anyways, last night was an alright hardcore show.

6992678_16c0d76dd4.jpg

6992679_2685adc863.jpg

6992681_2d6423b705.jpg

I've been thinking of this idea of going into some office wearing a Texas tuxedo (all left-hand twill!) with a dress shirt and tie on. I was just trying this on and thought it was pretty funny. Cat Magic showed up and rubbed his magic on me and now I am falli.z.zz.z

6992682_c35a037573.jpg

The transatlantic friend is faced here with a serious case of having to lower expectations. I won't be able to offer the same kind of standard that 386 offers here---alone for the simple reason that I don't ride a bike---and if I would, I would not attempt such a ramp stunt.

So, for the time being, let's all enjoy the high standard of 386....and suffice with more modest offers later -as of May, very probably- , when it will be my turn.......

So I headed south on Thursday afternoon and ended up in Jacksonville, FL, at the night time and picked up my ladyfriend. We went to the Jacksonville Zoo and got the crap out of town. There was this pretty cool area where one could pet stingrays. I was excited, because I had never done that before!

7039876_c4a3705508.jpg

We headed southeast toward the shore to this three-day music festival, called the Harvest of Hope Fest, put on to raise money and awareness of help for migrant workers. It was pretty sweet, but at one point we had to leave our tent to head east to the beach of St. Augustine and the jeans were blessed with the salty water of the Atlantic Ocean breiefly.

7039918_d79348d4f8.jpg

In downtownish St. Augistine, there was the oldest Spanish mission in the United States, Nombre de Dios, and there was all kinds of cool statues and things around the area. We wandered around quite a bit.

7039903_26752645fb.jpg?r=90

There was some other neat looking things in downtownish St. Augstine like these masks that were donated from the Spanish sister city from Spain to St. Augustine that were to commemorate some masks that were given hundreds of years ago.

7039914_f348c45606.jpg

The lady and I are heading eastward to the gulf beach and I'm currently sitting in downtownish Gainesville, FL, in the United States stealing wireless internet from Mother's Pub and Grill. Hit them up sometime if you're around. They hooked me up with free internet access. I think I might even change my shirt if we can find a place to get a decent shower sometime soon. You won't have to put up with that nastier-becoming yellow shirt much longer!