Transatlantic Jeans Project for Two

Understandable request, and indeed a shared interest, Freak. But, alas, much easier said than done. I have some problems with my digicam and can't, to my honest dismay, promise pics anytime soon. Sorry!

• 3 months later...

I know it has taken long, and almost everyone will have given up. But (I almost fear I've used this saying here before...) those who have been presumed dead do live longer.....

This is how our jeans look like today.

2gtddeb.jpg

Their story of the last few months:

They have travelled across the Atlantic again in November, have been worn, then came a very long, very cold winter and they had a temporary retirement period. With the return of warmer weather, back they went into service, with some increasingly alarming damage, as documented here, causing a rather soon new temporary retirement, as they now await repair.

And this now again takes longer then anticipated, as my mum, the trusty repair person, stubbornly refuses at the moment and keeps claiming these are beyond repair and I should stop wearing such ridiculous jeans. Which we all, naturally, know to be complete nonsense, and the jeans only begin to get really interesting, but still, as those holes will increase in size with every wear, I'd rather continue these tricky negotiations, confident that at long last I will get that repair job done.

Jeans are, incidentally, still unwashed, but spent a longish time in the freezer for olfactory reasons.

And guys, before you all boo at me: this is the very first thing I do since I got my camera working again TODAY!

yes, i was beginning to worry. if moms won't repair them, just take them to the local tailor/alterations shop. i'm sure they can do a decent repair job for a few bucks

Thanks guys. Your faithfulness to our little project is appreciated.

Repair: it's not just the money, my mum's really good at it and I feel that no one else can offer the same amount of control over the repair-what gets and what does not get repaired, exactly how is it done and so on. So please do bear with us for some time longer on this one.

I probably should say a word or two about 386, who, like the jeans, also is in some kind of temporary retirement apparently. He has to cope with a lot of things at the moment and I trust absolutely that his commitment to denim in general and to our jeans in particular will be, while shelved at the moment, endure and get back into full swing....

I miss our more frequent contact and will keep trying to re-establish it, but also don't want to get too pushy.

You can all be sure that this thread will NOT simply "fade away", there will be updates, even if it takes long, and no matter what the news are or will be!

• 8 months later...

386 hopefully will get back into some sort of activity, I'm cautiously optimistic. But further (and plenty of) patience required!

• 2 months later...

Greetings from Berlin to the few (if any) faithful that remain interested in this little project.

In the last year or so, the jeans basically were in storage with their heavy crotch damage and no one to repair it. At the same time, 386 went more and more incommunicado, with good reasons (he graduated, I hope it's okay if I give this away here) but still, very much to my regret. I believe he hasn't logged in on SuFu here for very long.

Now I can report some development at least on the repair front.

I have found a trustworthy and capable repair person. He's no pro, all self-educated, but I've seen some pretty impressive examples of his tailoring work. He's got a pro machine, too.

Here's the situation:

2e1wz2h.jpg

In the back pocket is the leather patch and his repair note on some tape. The jeans below is a Skull that also needs some repair attention.

51tusj.jpg

Detail of the damage. Pretty bad, huh?

5k4ms1.jpg

His machine.

He suggested to use leather rather than denim for the repair job, as this would be more durable (and not look half bad either). The fact that he'll have to sew over the already existing patches also played a role.

I am given the hope that he'll get to it within one or two weeks.

Hopefully then I'll be able to show you a good result here, and then do what I did not dare to do now, namely try them on again after a very long break: as you'll recall, they were really tight always, and I fear and believe I did gain some weight.

Lastly, if anyone else is in touch with 386, please do try and contact him, perhaps he can be cajoled back into some activity here. I try this naturally myself, but if some other people would join in the effort, the result just may be a bit more encouraging.

Well yes, they are. Seriously damaged. Mostly 386's work, he really rocked them hard....but I like it.

What concerns have you regarding the leather patch?

Yes, absolutely. That's also the way in which the repairs so far were done. But since it's multiple holes, partially with already existing patches (which again, have partially re-ripped), I like the idea of leather being used. It will for sure provide a stronger contrast, but my hope is that it won't look weird and more sort of interesting. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

The repair project is advancing slowly, but surely. Had a little consultation with the repair guy, who so far could'nt attend to the job.

However, he had some less than good experience with leather used on a different pair, so he changed his mind back to using denim for the work on our jeans. It just may happen next week.

No sign of life from 386. That's the not-so-good news. But where there's life there's hope, and I won't give up!

• 2 years later...

Gosh, almost three years and now I dig out these jeans again, after having lost some weight and gotten them repaired, also at least two years ago. So they are, well resuscitated probably is the word. Smell a little musky, typical second hand type of smell since they've been unused for so very long. But the feel of the denim still is great, and they are going to be given some fresh love at long last. Before anyone asks: no chance for pics for the time being, technical reasons.

386 is incommunicado for so long now that I've almost given up. But the jeans stay as a memento!