Dirty, worn down denim in a bucket with paint remainings filled with tea and more..

keska

So, as a thanks to the forum and a celebration of my 1000th post I’ve decided to do something crazy with one of my most worn down jeans.

I got these julian red california no wash back in early 06, I think, and love them for the fit and price/quality. They’ve been worn on and off at times(summer periods) and very intensively at times.

If it wouldn’t be for this forum I would not have bought these. That is why I’ve decided to involve some of you somewhere in this process.

image042jy7.jpg

image043sv9.jpg

image044ey1.jpg

image045rj8.jpg

image049na4.jpg

Visitor from the future

image048ml2.jpg

This is what I've done;

Tea line-up; as you can see I've used 3 tea bags and some strong black tea.

image038sz0.jpg

I hope to give the jeans a good scent or at least something that doesn't smell like what they do now when they get a little moist from the rain.

image039ti1.jpg

This is the bucket they're going to be soaking in till this is over. As you can see its not really clean. I found an old bucket in the garden that we used to soak some paint brushes in. I cleaned most of the paint off but purposely left some of it for effect. I don't know what effect, maybe the jeans will evaporate, I am curious to find out.

image040ij4.jpg

She's so nervous!

image041vx2.jpg

First things first, I added water to the dirty bucket

image047rx3.jpg

Then the tea bags and 2 hand fulls of dark tea.

image050se8.jpg

Looked at it for a while... And figured I need more water.

image051gv4.jpg

So I add water.

image052rc5.jpg

Stirred a little.. and figured tea needs sugar!

image055sd9.jpg

So I add this many sugars..

image056jy5.jpg

Stirred a little more..

image057qq5.jpg

I did let the tea cool off for a good 30 minutes. And then, in went the jeenz

image058ut9.jpg

Drowned the jeans..

image059nw9.jpg

All the way..

image060yn3.jpg

Somehow figured I need more water..

So I add more water..

image061of5.jpg

After that I've put some weight on it to keep it in the tea.

image062na6.jpg

The bucket is now sitting in the tool shed as we speak for over 6 hours. Somewhere along the way I'll take on some ideas posted in this thread ie: add something to the tea or do something with the jeans. As of now I'm planning to let, whatever fluids are in the bucket, completely evaporate. To put you in the right spot for any good ideas;

I don't want:

Bad smelling jeans

Bleached or lighter colored jeans than they are

cant really think of anything else I don't want, so fire away.

if you're objective is having jeans that don't smell bad, I'm not sure this the way to do it, especially if you're planning on letting the fluids evaporate. but interesting they might be.

Ya well that's what I hope to fight against with the scented tea's but I wouldn't be really surprised if the tea would grow some fungus along the way. Maybe in a later stage this way I'll get to have a conversation with my jeans, won't have to do all my own walking, get my balls scratched. Maybe.

And here's another update. its been 24/25 hours since the jeans were soaked in the dirty bucket full of tea and sugar.

If you compare this picture to the last one I made, you can see that the water level has already dropped about 1 inch. I think this is because the jeans got to soak up the maximum amount of tea that they can overnight. And/Or maybe pushed the brick up a little because the jeans expanded when they soaked the tea in. I guess we'll find out next time.

image063ah4.jpg

How she looked when I first got her out of the water, she was so cold! It was about 11 degrees Celsius last night. I reckon the tool shed would not be much higher, maybe a couple of degrees.

image064lf9.jpg

First impressions on the teas influence. You can already see some paint that has attached itself to the fabric.

image065cp3.jpg

The color looks a little darker, but that might be because the jeans are wet and stuff seems darker when wet (has something to do with light I figured). I guess we wont find out what the actual color will be towards the end.

image067rd7.jpg

Back pocket details, some more paint and dark tea

image069bo4.jpg

I like how this has turned out to be, this is the left honeycomb. I think that this crease effect occurred when I pushed the jeans all the way down.

image070hj8.jpg

Last pic of the color impression before they go in

image071ru2.jpg

I like the 'swapping the brick for soap' idea, but I'd like more info on what it might do and if the soap will effect the whole jeans or just the area that it sits on. (I prefer the last one). I might throw or splatter some whiskey on the jeans after the tea has evaporated, but once again this depends on what effect I get. Do keep in mind that I do intend to keep the jeans and wear them for at least another 6 months or so.

its been 49/50 hours now.

This is how they looked untouched, the water level is pretty much the same. Its very cold too, the tool shed is a lot colder than it is outside

image081tf5.jpg

First impression of the jeans, they appear darker

image084bg4.jpg

As you can see a lot of the loose white threads have now become a light brown. I'm hoping that by the end of this everything that was what or a light blue will be brown or a brown blue.

image091tx8.jpg

Details and color changing

image090yy9.jpg

More details and color changing

image086ph0.jpg

I went for the soap idea and this is the soap I got. Its a natural and scented olive oil soap. Its not made to preserve fabric, its made to kill bacteria so this might effect the outcome of the jeans.

image080rx0.jpg

This is how I left the bucket.

image092lc7.jpg