Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

my washing machine does some brutal shit with the spin cycle; never cared for it. nowadays i'll wash my 710s with spin cycle because they've proven they can easily handle the abuse, but a virgin pair is going to get the gentle touch treatment.

See if it works for your washing machine. Set it normally as if you were going to wash your laundry. After the washing machine is filled with enough water, leave the lid open. Most washing machines won't do the spin cycle if the lid is opened, for safety reasons.

I remember back when I ordered my 710s, I didn't have them hemmed, because I figured ~36" inseam was what I needed at 6'1 with just a slight bit of stacking... nope, ridiculous stacking. Had my 0500s hemmed before they shipped to 93cm, so they should shrink to around 34"... perfect.

thats strange, i'm 5'11 and my jeans with a 36" have a very manageable amount of stacking

Seems like they are sending a msg to the U.S. customer. "you're blowing our brand up and we can't keep up production. so we are going to raise prices till you stop buying and we can return to selling out our models on a smaller scale. and keep our "underground" image. we don;t want little wayne to wear our clothes."

This is Columbian Cocaine Marketing 101. google the seventies. Flood with coke. get the hype up. take it away. then bring it back at a markup with lowered purity.

what don't you people understand about currency exchange rates? this is not rocket science.

since summer 2008, the US dollar has fallen approximately 18-19% against the yen. a $40 price jump on $285 jeans is 14%. sounds to me like Gordon is STILL making less money (4-5% less) than he was before the economic meltdown. and that's AFTER selling these jeans at a (probable) loss for the past 1.5-2 years.

also, cool story about columbian cocaine, oliver stone. that has NOTHING to do with this situation. samurai's wholesale pricing is in japanese yen, because they are a japanese company. let's say a pair of 0500s is 20,000 yen wholesale:

summer 2008 pricing (110 yen = 1 dollar): 20,000 / 110 = $181.82

january 2010 pricing (90 yen = 1 dollar): 20,000 / 90 = $222.22

HMMMMM. looks like those jeans cost $40.40 more at wholesale now than in summer 2008*. how much was that price increase again?

----

looking at it another way: i always consider cost-per-wear. if you wear a pair of samurais for 365 days, your cost-per-wear has gone from $0.78 to $0.89.

in other words: get over it.**

-----

footnotes:

* i made up the 20,000 yen wholesale price. so the price increase is not exactly $40.40, but percentage wise, it's all the same. this is perfectly sound reasoning.

** or put an extra dime in your piggy bank each day.

so, postsoak on my 0500's size 34:

waist 33.75 in

inseam: 36 in

thigh: 12.75in

leg opening: 8.5

definitely fit a little looser than id hoped they would, getting the 33, according to BIG's measurements, should yield the same waist but smaller measurements everywhere else. Will definitely need to downsize it seems, so if anyone wants these, still brand new tabs and arcs, by all means take them off my hands so i can get a new pair

BiG has to do what they have to do, and i'm not crying nor boycotting. I'm just making a random point on a forum. I do understand currency exchange. I mentioned it in an earlier post. IMO, Samurai could/should be cutting him some slack as the only US distributor. I didn't know Stone finished that movie. Sorry for posting high.

though i quoted your post, my rant was really directed at everyone whining about a 14% price increase on imported goods during one of the lowest points in the US economy's history.

the entire nation is in complete turmoil / meltdown, and people are literally complaining about the price of their premium japanese denim (a luxury good). wake up, people.

i can't believe Gordon even responded to that email. just goes to show how patient and cool he is.

my point is if you weren't complaining about a $285 price tag a few years ago, there's no way you should be complaining about $325 now.

also, i got my first "neg rep" ever from dawei69 - a real scholar. he said i'm "full of shit" because wholesale prices for samurais in japan is more like "15,000 yen"... according this doctor of economics, gordon is "making millions" :rolleyes:

Here's a hypothetical of what Gordon is looking at. I know he sells more than jeans, and #'s are approximated.

-Monthly soho retail rent $5,000 = $60,000 annual

-$15/hr x 40 hours x 2 full time employees (at least) = $62,400 annual

-salary for G and at least one partner = $50,000 (chicken feed) x 2 = $100,000

$222,400 minimum annually to stay open. Even if he's making $200 a pair, he's gotta sell 1,112 to break even.

With the weakness of USD right now, it still costs $325 to import the cheapest pair of Samurais (cheapest being 24,990Y.) Being that BiG basically specializes in unique, handmade imported goods, and keeping in mind the fact that said imports are typically priced at a premium, why is everyone getting so butthurt?

Well, do you have any idea what Gordon's net cost is on 1 pair of jeans? It's probably much lower than you think.

I work in the garment industry so I have a clue and his cost has WHAT to do with you?

Businesses are in business to make money and to make a profit not to go broke or poor to make you happy...if you want that then go into business and be broke for everyone else...

Cost of goods in any industry goes up. Most at least once a year if not more. Gas, oil, steel, aluminum, labor(inflation) and 3 of those 5 listed alone causes costs of goods to go up and 2 of those 3 don't come back down in price (I am stating oil and labor) and you can look at a comparison chart that even when gas prices go down oil prices don't...pretty interesting and then if i have to explain how oil, gas or labor is reflective of costof denim or anything for that matter then you shouldn't be on this forum and I would recommend going back to ISS or trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

Here's a hypothetical of what Gordon is looking at. I know he sells more than jeans, and #'s are approximated.

-Monthly soho retail rent $5,000 = $60,000 annual

-$15/hr x 40 hours x 2 full time employees (at least) = $62,400 annual

-salary for G and at least one partner = $50,000 (chicken feed) x 2 = $100,000

$222,400 minimum annually to stay open. Even if he's making $200 a pair, he's gotta sell 1,112 to break even.

Now that's a guy who know how to put things in perspective. Wish more people here would have the same sort of insight. People like Kiya and Gordon go into this business as a labour of love.

I work in the garment industry so I have a clue and his cost has WHAT to do with you?

Businesses are in business to make money and to make a profit not to go broke or poor to make you happy...if you want that then go into business and be broke for everyone else...

Cost of goods in any industry goes up. Most at least once a year if not more. Gas, oil, steel, aluminum, labor(inflation) and 3 of those 5 listed alone causes costs of goods to go up and 2 of those 3 don't come back down in price (I am stating oil and labor) and you can look at a comparison chart that even when gas prices go down oil prices don't...pretty interesting and then if i have to explain how oil, gas or labor is reflective of costof denim or anything for that matter then you shouldn't be on this forum and I would recommend going back to ISS or trying to fit the round peg in the square hole.

whats with the attitude, girl? you must think you're really smart huh. i just said his costs on a pair of jeans is probably lower than most people on here think. what the fuck is your beef?

so, postsoak on my 0500's size 34:

waist 34 in

inseam: 36 in

thigh: 13in

leg opening: 8.5

definitely fit a little looser than id hoped they would, getting the 33, according to BIG's measurements, should yield the same waist but smaller measurements everywhere else. Will definitely need to downsize it seems, so if anyone wants these, still brand new tabs and arcs, by all means take them off my hands so i can get a new pair

or should i have em tapered guys, what do you think? would it fuck up the fit too much?