Naked & Famous Denim

terutt

A couple of catalog scans:

21oz2.jpg

21oz, heavy as fuck but felt so good...

cashmere2.jpg

Cashmere

CHINO.jpg

Selvage chino, first time I've ever seen one. + - $200 retail so not terrible...

SUIT.jpg

Gaberdine suit.

All in all, the line looks really strong moving forward into Summer. Shirts were surprisingly well done as well. I'll try to get some more images up in a bit.

do you have bigger images so we can actually read the text?? thanks :)

Anyway, just got back from Sydney's in Toronto.. got my Deep Indigo WeirdGuys in 30.. they're stiff as f$#k, which is awesome.

They also got some new stuff in...

SkinnyGuy in a deep purply-blue stretch denim, which the same colour stitching (it's very very nice)

SkinnyGuy in an Organic selvedge (i think it's organic).. same colours as the WeirdGuy in Organic.

SlimGuy (I think) in a medium grey selvedge

Not sure if they got any new WeirdGuys. There may have been more new styles. I was told a green selvedge is coming in about a month. I believe this is still an Indigo but with a green cast.

This is pretty sweet. It seems like quite a few people are going to be wearing these deep indigo's. I'm wearing mine and a few others...We gotta sick with it and not get other stuff and see how they come out. Seeing like no one has worn these out or hasn't shown anyways.

yeah, i wonder why there's been so little pics of how these have faded. i hope they'll fade well, otherwise i'll kick myself for not spending a bit more for some APCs.

how have yours been? a 29 was too tight for me (in the waist as well as overall) but a 30 is the tiniest bit loose in the waist, but i went with the 30 since they fit better throughout. i'm hoping they don't stretch out too much, but if they do i don't mind a little sag.

wonder if i should do a hot soak... see if they'll even shrink a tiny bit. but i'm really looking forward to breaking in the superstiff denim.

thoughts??

I really like mine. They fit perfect for a slimmer fit but not to tight. I think they will do pretty good. I feel like they have a ton of excess indigo because i just wear them with vans and my socks go blue in a day which is just ridiculous. But, as far as apc's vs. these i think your probably glad you went with these. I haven't ever had any but i don't like apc's if i'm going to spend some legit money on some jeans i'm going japanese (I only spent 90 on these) and i would encourage you after your done with these to not go with apc...if your going to spend the money just get real good quality with some real japanese. But yeah i'm excited to wear these.

I think there aren't many pictures because people start to wear them and then they buy some sami's or something with higher quality and quit wearing them. But i'm going to be wearing them for awhile along with my jean shops.

I really like mine. They fit perfect for a slimmer fit but not to tight. I think they will do pretty good. I feel like they have a ton of excess indigo because i just wear them with vans and my socks go blue in a day which is just ridiculous. But, as far as apc's vs. these i think your probably glad you went with these. I haven't ever had any but i don't like apc's if i'm going to spend some legit money on some jeans i'm going japanese (I only spent 90 on these) and i would encourage you after your done with these to not go with apc...if your going to spend the money just get real good quality with some real japanese. But yeah i'm excited to wear these.

I think there aren't many pictures because people start to wear them and then they buy some sami's or something with higher quality and quit wearing them. But i'm going to be wearing them for awhile along with my jean shops.

wonder if i should hot soak to try to shrink them and get rid of excess indigo before i start wearing? the thing is they'll be less stiff too which is what i'm loving about these. i haven't started wearing them yet so i'm still trying to decide.

and yes, when i tried them on indigo came off on my fingers LOL... crazy.

yeah. they will be stiff as crap still you don't need to worry about that. They might even be more stiff as long as you hang dry. If you want to soak or wash. I'm not going to. I'm going to get a few months of wear and then probably a wash. Not washing is not as big of a deal as people make it seem. You see old dudes that wash their levi's all the time and their jeans look sick. Just do what you want...having them touch water isn't a big deal like everyone makes it seem...nudies.

A couple of catalog scans:

21oz2.jpg

21oz, heavy as fuck but felt so good...

cashmere2.jpg

Cashmere

CHINO.jpg

Selvage chino, first time I've ever seen one. + - $200 retail so not terrible...

Gaberdine suit.

All in all, the line looks really strong moving forward into Summer. Shirts were surprisingly well done as well. I'll try to get some more images up in a bit.

the whole line looks amazing. i might just wait and get the selvage chino's. they look awesome

Everything is so cheap compared to other selvage brands.

If I'm not paying a premium, I assume something is wrong.

The story is that Brandon, who owns the line, has deep family ties in garment production in Canada, as well as sourcing. As I understand it, he imports all the material from Japan and assembles in Canada, which lets him skip paying duty on finished goods, then can avoid duty into the states through NAFTA. They also keep low overhead, so they can roll a better pricepoint into the market. The quality / price is unbelievable, and he really does know what he is doing. It's not about the hype with him, he's all about the denim quality and the production process. I was really impressed with what I saw.

Deep Indigo Weird Guys, 3 months, no wash

IMG_2001small1.JPGIMG_2004small1.JPGIMG_2005small2.JPG

IMG_2003small1.JPGIMG_2006small.JPG

These things were overdyed big time. They bled indigo for the first 3 weeks onto everything they touched. Finally starting to lose some if it. If I didn't work a desk job I'd probably have higher contrast fades everywhere else like the wallet fade. The denim is alright but I'm not crazy about the fit on these. Not bad for a "gateway" pair of jeans though.

I went to the Naked and famous one year party at dutil yesterday, met brandon and he walked me through the line and stuff.

there was some REALLY nice stuff coming out. including a heathered underweave, a greencast with a blue underweave (fades blue not green), cashmere denims, and heavy weight (10 oz) chambray.

His favorite was the low tension 16 ounze (i think 16 oz) with completely random and irregular tension rattle signs in the fabric.

a lot more selvage, definetly worth the buy in, the custom ones were sick, and he's a nice guy. definitely a huge denim head, not caught up in the hype of raw denim.

i personally picked up a custom pair with the greencast denim, dyed natural thread, and an off white patch. looking forward to how though come out.

Guest DCDenim
The story is that Brandon, who owns the line, has deep family ties in garment production in Canada, as well as sourcing. As I understand it, he imports all the material from Japan and assembles in Canada, which lets him skip paying duty on finished goods, then can avoid duty into the states through NAFTA. They also keep low overhead, so they can roll a better pricepoint into the market. The quality / price is unbelievable, and he really does know what he is doing. It's not about the hype with him, he's all about the denim quality and the production process. I was really impressed with what I saw.

That's cool, a lot of these new labels start out cheap and if they are successful you can expect price hikes and lower quality construction as production expands.

This brand is ALL about hype, take one look at the website and you could see that.. Models you can undress, tacky leather patch, 'weird guy' (sounds like someone stole a few pages from nudie)

That's cool, a lot of these new labels start out cheap and if they are successful you can expect price hikes and lower quality construction as production expands.

This brand is ALL about hype, take one look at the website and you could see that.. Models you can undress, tacky leather patch, 'weird guy' (sounds like someone stole a few pages from nudie)

do you even understand the high level concept of the company?

Eh, I think you're wrong in this case. The materials are quality, the construction is sound. A brand has to position itself in a way to appeal to their target market, and for guys who want less branding and identity, there are numerous other lines that will appeal to them. N&F may increase their pricepoints over time, but until you have talked to them face to face, which I don't think you have, I think it's unwarranted to dub them as just a "hype" brand. People are creating the hype for them.

nice, post pics when you get them.

will do, looking forward for them coming, i really have no clue how long it will be.

Eh, I think you're wrong in this case. The materials are quality, the construction is sound. A brand has to position itself in a way to appeal to their target market, and for guys who want less branding and identity, there are numerous other lines that will appeal to them. N&F may increase their pricepoints over time, but until you have talked to them face to face, which I don't think you have, I think it's unwarranted to dub them as just a "hype" brand. People are creating the hype for them.

I agree with this entirely. DCDenim, you need to check your facts, maybe get out there and see the denim and meet some people. After talking with brandon for at the least, 5 minutes, my own perception that it was just another denim brand vanished. He's really, really, REALLY into denim.

Guest devil.beside.you

I live in vancouver, and dutil and fab have a lot of naked n famous so I've had the chance to examine it a lot. I bought a pair of the slub from tehe first run, and I wasnt really impressed with the workmanship. The threads became undone at about 5 months, and I had to rework some stitching along the inseam and the cuff - however, I still regard it as a reasonable price. I also have a pair of the 21oz selvedge, which was released recently with the 2nd run I believe - I still see issues with the sewing ..if you look closely there are parts of the stitching that are iffy. That being said, for 21oz its remarkably soft and I like the unique silvery tint to it - also there is a nice clean shean..and red stitching!! Also, a very very reasonable price for 21 oz

Basically, Naked n famous isn't top quality denim, thats for sure. The quality is decent, and if i had to compare it to any brand, it would be nudies, because there is evidence of an attempt to offer a variety of cuts, and also because of its glam approach. It is not a brand designed to make leepros.. AT ALL. Brandon is obviously trying to get into a more commercial mainstream niche...I bet you'll start to see this jean at stores like boysco in vancouver..or nordstrom or holt renfrew. Defenitely following in nudie's footsteps.

Update: I couldn't stand the looseness and hip flare in the top block so I hot soaked these to just above the knees (so I wouldn't have to reset my honeycombs). Somewhere I got the impression that these were sanforized, but since the denim felt loose I knew I could get some shrinkage.

Basically, after soaking the top block on my 31's ended up like a pair of 30's, the size I should have bought in the first place.

Pre-soak measurements

Waist: 34"

Thigh (at crotch): 12"

Thigh (1" below crotch): 11.5"

Post Soak measurements

Waist: 33"

Thigh (at crotch): 11.8"

Thigh (1" below crotch): 11.3"

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

Much happier with the fit now, although there is still some hip flare. Still wish that I had gone with 30's from the start since these stretch a lot in the waist. The only difference between the 30 and 31 is the top block, according to the BiG measurements. There was some indigo loss from the soak and the sheen on the denim is gone. It'll be interesting to see if the top block fades faster than the legs now.