indigo dyed, non-denim, clothing?

superBobo

Those shirts are beautiful (even the lighter one) but 45rpm is so damn expensive. It kinda makes you wonder if the people that can afford it actually appreciate it like we would, or if it is just another thing in their closet to wear for one season and then get rid of.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nakajima Indigo Dye Works

by Brian Fichtner

Handdyedthread.jpg

Like many traditions, the art of indigo dying is fading as global brands demand high paced, volumetric production cycles. The unpredictable tastes of today’s consumer have made it difficult for artisinal producers over the years, but a recent surge in the appreciation of heritage brands is bolstering the handmade artifact.

Tsurukichi is the fourth generation in one of Japan’s last remaining indigo dye houses, the Nakajima Konya compound, which was founded over 170 years ago. The company relies on an ancient fermentation process to produce its dye from the leaves of the indigofera plant; the indigo dye pots on site, sustain a living culture that imbues the textiles with an unrivaled vibrancy.

Nakajima.jpgSFShowroom.jpg

Working in a variety of fabrics, Tsurukichi designs both in-house and through collaborative partnerships. This weekend, the company will be participating in another regrettably waning tradition, the trunk show. Taking place at Project No. 8, company founder Nakajima Sensei (who has been described as a living treasure) and designer Matt Dick will be on hand to discuss the blues.

Nakajima Trunk Show

8 March 2008, 6-8pm

Project No. 8

138 Division Street

New York, NY 10002

tel. +1 212 925 5599

Tsurukichi San Francisco Showroom

864 Post Street

San Francisco, CA 94109

tel. +1 415 292 5550

Dipdye.jpgLinengauze.jpg

Silkscarves.jpgHanddyedandprinted.jpg

This entry was originally posted on 07 March 2008

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2008/03/nakajima_indigo.php

Guest lewis@noverre

Here is some images of a Studio DArtisan sweatshirt, dyed with indigo. The actual sweat is loopwheeled, the traditional high quality method now only found in Japan producing an exceptional strong, soft and comfortable garment. The design is also "dyed" into the material too as opposed to beng painted on.

Available at superdenim.co.uk

SD_9287_FRONT_A.jpg

SD_9287_BACK_A.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hand woven, hand dyed 100% natural indigo cotton scarf:

2817064823_34f9486fd3_o.jpg

2817065197_7a8cea3657.jpg

Much darker irl and smelly as fuck!

Market lady told me it came from some African tribe, the lighter spots are part of a tie-dye pattern.

Hands turned dark blue from handling it, so I tried to fixate it in warm water with a tablespoon of salt and vinigar. Twisted the whole thing up into a knot so it wouldn't be such a straight piece, twisted it again afterwards to squeeze as much water out as possible, and then let it hang dry...

i know i fucked up now...while i was living in morocco, i used to see taureg scarves all the time( 4 dirt cheap), now im back in this shitty country, and i now know the error of my ways. they make hand-tanned leather there, too, so when i go back in a few months ima go to jaamul-fina(biggest market in the country, in my old hood), and see if i can get some indigo tanned leather swatches and i might be able to do it myself over there. ill bring some indigo dyed stuff back for some select sufu cats(duck, poop,cheep, etc). my brother gets int'l flights for like 70 bucks, so it shouldnt be long. i'll grab a bunch of taureg scarves and sell em to BIG for cheap...

• 4 months later...

I recently got this henley/tunic thing from ebay. It was real cheap. It's probably not that old, but I liked the colors. It's made in india and indigo dyed I think. The tags says "Indigo tend to rub" an washing instructions say that it may bleed. The fabric is nice soft cotton. I thought I'd post it cause It's something different.:)170_016.JPG

I picked up this piece At BIG by PBJ.

c2843972c1324b5db567caceb9a3ea88.jpg

That thing is sick. I ended up getting an SDA loopwheel from BiG, but not the indigo one. I just kept thinking it would bleed like crazy. I was also looking at the PBJ Wool scarf they had, but the same thing--blue, indigo-dyed neck--made me hold off on it.

Let me know how much, if any, it bleeds.

Levi's engineered type sweatshirt .. from the Blue line ..

This count ? it's quite badassed .. darker than pics depict really

wtf kind of weave is this though ??

dscn0089me8.th.jpg

dscn0090uh7.th.jpg

dscn0091rn8.th.jpg

dscn0094hk1.th.jpg

dscn0092pf2.th.jpg

I have new size smediums if anyone is interested .. mine is an xl and was washed once in cold with baby shampoo

No bleeding, and i'm wearing it over white shirts. Some fading is going on though in the elbows and on the edges of the cuff, collar, and bottom trim.

How long have you been wearing it Bigyen??

only a month now. and i wear it 2 -3 times a week. It's real minimal , nothing a camera could catch.

My pbj t-shirt is fading too on the trip and collar a little. Bled quite a bit in the wash...interesting to see how it develops. Looks like a similar technique of dying from that picture. My 45rpm shirt is not fading at all and I've washed it numerous times, a little dissapointed...doesn't really look all that special to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...