Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

i prefer the cut on 101z. lower rise and slightly slimmer i think all the way through. even though i prefer button flies, i went with z because of it.

sizing-wise, iirc, warehouse and mccoy 101zs were both very similar. however, hard to really tell until i have a chance to also hot-soak warehouse 101z. so sorry, i'm no big help here.

my mccoy 101z, like grant's 101b, stretched back after the initial hot soak. overall, they don't shrink much.

Chicken - many thanks, it's really helpful when people reply and contribute like yourself!

still there are many 101z to choose from. two from rmc and three from lee japan, plus maybe still the 1966 one. so dont worry. and the 101b from warehouse is still there too

what happend to your 34s?

Cotton thread (I presume) is coming loose and breaking on alot of places, big holes worn through the cuffs, which normally takes alot longer for me. Rather fragile construction all in all. Dont know if its a "qualtiy" or "repro" issue.

Saw the movie pollack the other day w/ Ed Harris. The guy looks like SuFu is strong! Don't exactly know all the denim he was wearing, I'd reckon a guess, 101b's? I did love that Duofold shirt. Makes me want to go out and randomly paint shit. Not for the love of painting, just to get paint on my SC 1945, closes thing i got to LEE repro. Very underrated denim IMHO. Too bad they got discontinued. Anybody else seen this movie? And, does anyone else feel weird checking out a guy in nice denim....Feels strangely liberating & unmanly at the same time especially when you with your girl. ; )

Saw the movie pollack the other day w/ Ed Harris. The guy looks like SuFu is strong! Don't exactly know all the denim he was wearing, I'd reckon a guess, 101b's? I did love that Duofold shirt. Makes me want to go out and randomly paint shit. Not for the love of painting, just to get paint on my SC 1945, closes thing i got to LEE repro. Very underrated denim IMHO. Too bad they got discontinued. Anybody else seen this movie? And, does anyone else feel weird checking out a guy in nice denim....Feels strangely liberating & unmanly at the same time especially when you with your girl. ; )

It's a good movie but make sure you check out the Hans Namuth sequence of Pollock painting on a sheet of glass.

Jackson Pollock probabl influenced the character of Stan Kowalsky in Streetcar Named Desire (Tenn. WIlliams had met, and fancied him in the late 40s). So he's possibly the most crucial figure there is in the crossover of denim to youth and art culture.

love the movie too, and ed harris is always great. we posted some pics of pollock somewhere i think in the distressed thread. he is also wearing the 101J, in the namuth sequence.

anyone here have any experiences with the Lee 101z gold label (made in Poland). They are 50% off at the local Lee-store but Cultizm was selling them even cheaper than that.

fit wise they looked pretty good, I tried on a size 28 which probably measured about 29-29.5". Legs were surprisingly slim.

anyone here have any experiences with the Lee 101z gold label (made in Poland). They are 50% off at the local Lee-store but Cultizm was selling them even cheaper than that.

fit wise they looked pretty good, I tried on a size 28 which probably measured about 29-29.5". Legs were surprisingly slim.

SLAB,

I have the 101B version, hair on hide patch, cinchback, left hand twill with black sevage. They're fairly lightweight and bright blue, a kind of blueberry shade, which has been used to describe some of the Euro-made Wrangler repros - I wonder if it's the same denim from Turkey's Orta mills?

Anyway, had them a while but not worn them yet. They seem a good summer Jean. Although they're sanforized I washed them and they shrank about an inch in the inseam but nowhere else.

Hope that's of use but let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks that renewed my sense of curiosity Paul. Is there any books, Docs, movies, or sites that I can dig into, which would give me a firm understanding of the beginnings of the denim movement. Thanks to all that replied.

Mmmmm. THat's a tough one. Check your PMs.

I was confused on the ones I got. I guess the ZED and Gold lines are different, but both made in Poland. My ZED Turnups have been great. They feel light as a garment, but feeling the denim with your fingers, it comes across heavier. It's a lefthand twill that is almost satiny smooth on the inside, but coarse on the outside. You can feel the vertical falling. They're a dark blue-black, but have a streaky,silvery sheen from the weft showing through. The selvege is gray/blue/white if that helps dis/associate it with the denim on the Gold labels. They've got a good vintagey feel, even though they appear to be a fantasy amalgam. Some of the other ZED have been a little more quirky and less appealing. I can't say on shrinkage as I've been wearing them dry. Is there any special consideration when washing or soaking jeans with the hair on hide patches?

still there are many 101z to choose from. two from rmc and three from lee japan, plus maybe still the 1966 one. so dont worry. and the 101b from warehouse is still there too

i think the mccoy lees only come out about once a year too. so if you're serious about them, you need to keep your eyes out.

i have them, one of my favourites, actually- excellent value for money. midweight lht blue selvage with a hair-on patch (and a nice one at that, too), reasonably high amount of slub, deep reinforced (and normally placed) back-pockets and a really nice looking jean- if you want a really slim fit, size down one, because they're 1 size oversized, and they won't shrink. i'd almost definitely buy them again, esp at these prices- they're extremely durable and comfortable, just don't buy them looking for high contrast fades in any kind of a hurry, because they're a very slow breaker, but to my mind the slub makes up for that. you won't regret grabbing one, even if it's not a particularly authentic reproduction.

thanks for all the feedback guys; Havent picked them up yet because I'm secretly hoping that the Lee Archives 1930 cowboy 101b will be on sale too.

btw 'furotaka' is a rakuten shop which has lots of Lee japan Archives (and Wrangler) models available (unfortunately the 101z 'james Dean' edition is sold out)

currently they are having a sale on two model I haven't seen before in Euro land (probably older collection?)

- Lee 101 1928 http://item.rakuten.co.jp/furutaka/01101-89/

- Lee 101 1942 (upside levis arcs) http://item.rakuten.co.jp/furutaka/02101-89/

the lee's from 1942 look especially tasty; maybe i'll pick up those instead of the gold label ones...

yes slab, do that, crownzip posted a pic of his, on the LVC thread, the pic of him wearing the leather jacket, and on from his hiking tour. the 1942 is a highlight. the 1928 is not really accurate, as dr heech agreed with me its strange they dont have suspender buttons, the 1930s cowboy is more accurate.

Gotta spread...

They look great, mate - I much prefer fades like that to some of the prevalent fades you see on here, where people have treated their jeans like (unwashed) royalty and spend hours fretting over how to get the best fades...much more authentic, jeans like yours...

Seconded...

Don't get me wrong, some of the contrasted denim on here is most impressive, but it's also about as natural and authentic as a nugget of phoenix turd when the wearer has been fretting constantly over:

a. what to put in which pocket

b. how to arrange their creases when they sit down

c. whether or not they can avoid washing their jeans for another four months even though the smell of them is driving the local dogs mad with desire

d. etc, ad infinitum

/rant.

Seriously though, they look superb :)

Well put CTB, including the praise for crownzip!

Sometimes I see evo pictures of jeans where the wallet is still in the pocket and I wonder if that person has another wallet that they carry in a messenger bag because they are afraid to take the one in the pocket out and ruin the perfect fade.