Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

From what I've heard/read, frees and other minimalist-type shoes can work for people with flat feet, but it takes some transition time used to orthotics and supportive shoes (you're engaging more/new muscles in your feet and legs). I would suggest wearing the shoes for walking around so you can get used to them before you seriously run in them. Also, you should probably only use them for speedwork, strides and shorter runs until you're really comfortable with them.

On a related note, are any sufu peeps on the minimalist bandwagon? Recently, I've been wanting shoes with less cushioning and heel-height, but most of the options are pretty ugly (I wouldn't be caught dead in VFF's). So far, the only shoes in that category that I like design-wise are the frees and various nike racing flats. Any opinions on the matter?

edit: just realized Harry Hood basically said the same thing on the last page, but I'd like to revive this thread if I can

I am intrigued by "barefoot" running but not enough to switch over.

I mainly trail run and have been through many trail runners (I think I posted about this before?) - all extremely ugly. I don't care at all what they look like - they just need to work.

I had always stayed away from Nike runners because the road runners I had tried were too wide for my foot. The last time I went to my running guy he sold me on the Nike Pegasus Trails which are a crossover and can do trails but also have cushioning for road running as well. The tread on these have saved me a number of times - almost like having suction cups on my feet.

2011-05-23-8.jpg

yeah, the barefoot thing is cool in theory, but I've heard that the best way to do it is to go completely barefoot and "re-learn" how to run starting with very low mileage. I'm way too impatient for that and I don't want to sacrifice my training and level of fitness. Instead, I decided I'd just go with lighter, lower-heeled shoes.

Nike's recent output in the last 2-3 years has really appealed to me design-wise, but I've been disappointed when I tried them on. Recently, I checked out the lunar eclipse and the lunar racer. the eclipse was too soft and the racer was uncomfortable. I want to try out the zoom streak though. they look cool and have good reviews.

I just started doing a lot of trails this year. It's all been rocky, dry stuff in Arizona so no real mud or moisture issues. I've been using the saucony fastwitch 5 for all of my needs lately. It's marketed as a road shoe, but it's worked well on the AZ trails too.

here's a pic before they got dirty:

saturday%252520004.JPG

sorry for the long-winded post, but I get carried away when I talk about running

i run in college now (D3) and a number of guys on the team run in flats and support the minimalist approach to running. it has been pretty big in the running world for a while and now it is pretty much accepted to be the best way to train seriously. some guys just don't want to mess with success, though, if they have had no issues running in heavy trainers for years. i made the transition when i got out of high school and even ran in VFFs for a few months. now i run in flats exclusively for all of my mileage and try to incorporate some barefoot running into each week's schedule but only on soft surface (strides on the infield or grass somewhere), as do most of the distance guys.

as long as you're on your forefeet and not you're heels then you're on the right path

i currently rotate between saucony grid type A4, NB minimus road, brooks t6, and nike streak XC for speed work

interested in adidas flats as well as asics piranhas and hyperspeeds

edit: yes, should google everything before asking.

btw, I purchased some Nike 3.0's and they're really great. Even after a running hiatus, the weight of the shoe, or lack thereof, really made me feel like I wasn't wearing much, if anything at all. Not sure if it was directly a result of the shoe or just a placebo effect of sorts, but now I feel as if I'm able to run greater distances and for longer periods of time while maintaining a smooth rhythm.

If the 993's work for you, I wouldn't sweat it too much. But, like Harry just said, I would try to run more on your midfoot instead of the heel (if this post is a little ambiguous, look it up on google. There's a wealth of quality information about the subject). I've been kind of taking this approach and gradually changing shoes whenever my current pair feels too bulky, unnecessary and cumbersome.

Harry, how do you like the streaks? They look promising, but I'm worried that they might be too soft. I prefer something with firm ride and a flexible, but snug upper.

I love the streaks but they are quite soft with a lot of ground feel - which I prefer. They are some of the most minimal shoes you can get. You may want to try the Adizero Rocket, they are pretty stiff but with minimal heel to toe drop and provide a firm ride with a flexible upper.

Also, some of you may find this TED talk by Chris McDougall pretty interesting. It highlights most of the major points found in his book, and he is a very engaging speaker.

http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run.html

im a 5k runner (i know its not "long distance", but i also do 10k and half marathon races)

i was wondering how i could get my time down from early 16's to 15's, its completely excruciating running so much and so hard without getting noticeable results,

i was wondering if somebody knew a schedule they have used or from other known 5k runners to increase speed

if anyone is in the OC/Socal area looking for running shoes go to Road Runner Sports in Costa Mesa, sign up for VIP membership and ask for tests to see which running shoes would be best for you. I got some Footbalance custom insoles and started using them, i could definitely feel the difference.

if anyone is in the OC/Socal area looking for running shoes go to Road Runner Sports in Costa Mesa, sign up for VIP membership and ask for tests to see which running shoes would be best for you. I got some Footbalance custom insoles and started using them, i could definitely feel the difference.

im a 5k runner (i know its not "long distance", but i also do 10k and half marathon races)

i was wondering how i could get my time down from early 16's to 15's, its completely excruciating running so much and so hard without getting noticeable results,

i was wondering if somebody knew a schedule they have used or from other known 5k runners to increase speed

run faster and eat more.

run faster and eat more.

^ lol no. try V02 fartleks and 15x400s at rep pace w/ full recovery. threshold miles are great for building that speed as are v02 miles to get fast improvement. start with some fartleks though. throw in some 200s at the end of workouts and shorter runs. ya know. if you need more specifics i can ive you exact paces and such for real workouts we do.

Whats good to wear for running in the cooler months? I'm not a long distance runner by any means but thought you guys could point me in the direction for something good. I'm in Sydney so the cooler months aren't as cool as for some of you I am sure. I was thinking about some form of zip jacket?... thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

^^something from the nike gyakusou line, maybe?

was feeling really shitty today and got really shocked after hearing some news, so i decided to go outside and run.

first time since the beginning of the winter, i think.

it feels really good.

legs are prolly going to hate me tomorrow, but i want to run at least 5 times per week from now on.

Thinking about starting to run and have been kinda skimming over the last several pages. I want to get into trail and road running but since ive done neither im looking for a shoe that will allow me to do both until im able to pinpoint exactly where im headed with this.

I saw Ordos post about the Nike Pegasus. What do you guys think about Free 3.0's? Im a pretty big guy 6'2 pretty slim but im 206 pounds. Would that even be a factor when considering a shoe? Im a total noob.

I don't know how serious the trails are you'll be running, but 3.0s could be alright. Also check NB Minimus and other flats (Saucony, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike). If the trails are pretty hairy and whatnot, you might consider a trail shoe that could go on roads versus a road shoe that could handle some trails, but running a trail shoe on harder surfaces will wear the grip and traction down real fast. Take it slow for a few weeks. That's the best advice for injury prevention. Real slow, seriously. Especially if you aren't accustomed to training in flats.

In terms of trail shoes, as long as you're not running on super technical or wet trails, I feel like most relatively low-profile shoes would do the trick. The main things I would focus on are traction, durability and height/stability (I think a shoe with a thick sole/cushioning would put you at greater risk for a twisted ankle.

just got some nike frees

most comfortable sneakers tried on

but i regret not copping those black rejuven8's.

i'll run in them, but mostly walk all day with those on

just wondering if i can black out the swoosh and the outer layer or if it will look like shit?

Thanks for the help Harry, I wound up getting a pair of NB Minimus Trail. Theyre pretty damn comfortable and the grip feels great. Not to mention they dont weigh anything. Jus t came back from trying them out and getting used to them and I love them so far.

just got some nike frees

most comfortable sneakers tried on

but i regret not copping those black rejuven8's.

i'll run in them, but mostly walk all day with those on

just wondering if i can black out the swoosh and the outer layer or if it will look like shit?

not sure which ones you have will, but mine the nike swoosh is kinda fabric that cant be ripped off! but try blacking it out or fabric dyeing the whole shoes?

just finished exams so i have finally got back onto the track, did 6kms friday and 8 today. i had forgotten how good running feels.

in need of some new running gear, contemplating saving up some cash and getting some of the nike gyakusou stuff.

can anyone recommend some sizing? around a 30-32 waist normally, and wear like 46/48 on the top half.

listen up douchebags, i've got question and you need to answer them. please

ok - i'm a really fat man. i made good progress last year,then circumstances changed.

now i'm getting back on that galloping horse an ting. i've copped sick shoes and shorts. now. when i usually run i run in my stussy/old/whatever i can get my hands on tees, ok? but that's really shit and they get heavy with gallons of sweat — Bang for buck, what're some of the best tees I can get? I was looking at Nike Dri-fit stuff online. Uniqlo's dry/heat tech stuff seems economical, but all sold out online so i'm gonna have to go down there. What else is there?

+

does anyone run at night? there aren't any adverse physical effects of doing so, right? like running, come back, shower, go to sleep?

running at night has no adverse effects. if you're trying to lose weight i suggest running first thing in the morning which provides a metabolic and mental boost for the rest of your day :)