Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

for running shirts, most sports companies make some sort of athletic or technical shirt. Anything that's dri-fit or polyester or not-cotton. If you're not too picky, you can probably find something for cheap at Ross or Marshalls. Personally, I like to run in the Brooks Distance Singlet because it's light, cheap and slim without being baggy.

haven't ran in the past two days (except really really short distances for a few minutes). today was aweful. drinking beer, earlier, sure didnt helped.

need to run more !

need to swim more !

and i already want another pair of nike free's. they're amazing. been wearing them almost everyday since i got them

haven't ran in the past two days (except really really short distances for a few minutes). today was aweful. drinking beer, earlier, sure didnt helped.

need to run more !

need to swim more !

and i already want another pair of nike free's. they're amazing. been wearing them almost everyday since i got them

yeah the nike free's are spot on! i have been playing hockey in them for the last couple of months.

i find with exercise i am always at one end of spectrum, i am either exercising nearly every day or doing practically nothing.

but i quit smoking last week and now am trying to run every second day, once you get back into an exercising rhythm I find it super easy to find time to run.

I would like to hear some feedback from people with flat feet who have used Nike Free models or anything else related.

A little late, but hopefully it can help. I have the flattest feet in the world. Actually, i have mildly flat feet but have crooked ankles (really wish i could remember the exact medical term) and duck feet so when standing straight, my feet are completely flat. I've always like running, but had to cut back every time i tried to do it seriously due to knee pain.

Long story short, since reading Born to Run, changing the way i run and buying some Frees, i've seen unbelievable improvements and the knee pain is mostly gone. I've always ran with my orthodics, but was getting huge blisters so i went to see my podiatrist to get some new ones about a month ago and had a really long discussion with her on barefoot running and flat feet.

Running barefoot generally improve foot strength and depending on the cause of your fleet feet, it can actually dramatically improve / cure your condition. However, people with some conditions (such as mine) should NEVER do long term physical activity barefoot as the flat feet cause biometrics to be completely off and it can cause other issues (mostly knee and back) so it's really important to consult a professional before dropping your orthodics. It had only been ~2 years since i did my last orthodics, but the technology seems that have evolved quite a bit and the new insole are so comfortable and light with limited (but noticeable) loss of ground feel.

I discussed the benefit of barefoot running with my podiatrist and it's her opinion that it can have some concrete benefit for runners IF DONE RIGHT. I know there's been a million warnings about this, but it's really important to take it slowly when starting. having lived in shoe all our life, our metatarsal are just not used to get pounded so my podiatrist is seeing an explosion of plantar fasciitis caused by people how have made too aggressive switches, and these can take A LONG TIME to heal. So in summary, no problems running in minimal shoes with flat feet as long as you do it right.

woke up and went outside to run 15 minutes after.

i'm not sure ifiI ran four laps instead of five or if i did five (i just run around a block near)

but it's not really important because i really feel good.

now i really want to start getting up at 7 and running (started to wake up at 8) AND running at 9 -10pm

sup all.. Im a super noob when it comes to running. thread has been inspiring to read though.

For the last 3 weeks my wife and I have been doing a pretty consistent 3 miles 3 days a week. we want to eventually up it to around 10k / 6 miles but were not sure as to how to work up to that..like add a mile to the run every day or week?

oh and if you live near a nike factory outlet they always have running stuff on sale, ive been finding drifit shirts shorts consistently for under 15 bucks

currently using lunar mariahs

sup all.. Im a super noob when it comes to running. thread has been inspiring to read though.

For the last 3 weeks my wife and I have been doing a pretty consistent 3 miles 3 days a week. we want to eventually up it to around 10k / 6 miles but were not sure as to how to work up to that..like add a mile to the run every day or week?

oh and if you live near a nike factory outlet they always have running stuff on sale, ive been finding drifit shirts shorts consistently for under 15 bucks

currently using lunar mariahs

use the 10% rule pal, only ever increase your weekly milage or km's by 10% per week.

i don't claim to be an expert but i wouldn't do those sorts of distances in nike frees.

first and foremost you have to build up in the free's, just buying them and using them for all your running straight away is super bad for you. the guys at the shop told me to start by walking in them a couple of times a week and then slowly build up to your normal kms.

currently i have a pair of free's and a pair of new balances, anything up to 6-7kms i use the nike frees anything above that i use the new balances.

I go for 10 k runs in nike frees and it works for me. 8.5 k of that is on a dirt/barkmulch trail and the rest is road, so I don't know if that plays a factor or not.

I know it has been asked before, but do any of you use nike+ ? It has really helped me out with motivation and setting/achieving goals

I really want to take up running, but I think my ankles and shins are fucked from skateboarding for 10 years. I find that after about half a mile my ankles are getting pretty creaky and the constant smashing on the pavement makes me shins feel like they're splintering.

Has anyone else run into this, and is there a way to build up muscles to cope with it or something?

I really want to take up running, but I think my ankles and shins are fucked from skateboarding for 10 years. I find that after about half a mile my ankles are getting pretty creaky and the constant smashing on the pavement makes me shins feel like they're splintering.

Has anyone else run into this, and is there a way to build up muscles to cope with it or something?

i've dealt with shin splints throughout my life, i'd suggest stretching before running and icing after. maybe try a brace for your ankle too

yeah i use nike+ gps.

definitely helps you work harder, or smarter at the least, whilst running. i don't know how accurate it is, i get the feeling it may be a little off. i've never calibrated it though.

clopek - i'd suggest looking into the type of shoe most suited to you (potentially seeing a podiatrist & getting orthotics made), buying a pair with lots of cushioning, running on grass, and starting at lower km's & gradually working your way up.

I have a Garmin watch and although it annoyingly take time to connect to the satellites at first (too many tall building around my place, need to walk ~5 min and wait in a park), it's awesome as a motivating tool. Plus i'm a numbers nerd ( work in finance concept) so i love to be able to track all my runs, see them in google earth, etc. The UI and the garmin software are pretty crap though, anyone has bought the new Nike watch? Watch looks 10x slicker than the garmin and i'd bet the software much better. The only drawback is that i generally become very focused and have a look at the watch every 2 min to check my pace, heartbeat, etc.

never tried the whole nike+ business, but i would definitely be interested in trying it. i generally just write down distance and how long i ran for anyway??

clopek, st__ is on point. i had shin splints for a while, and in my case it was caused by going from doing nothing to running 5 times a week on concrete. best bet is to rest up try and massage the area, then slowly build up your running. also if possible try running on grass or something other than concrete, and look into cushioned shoes!

for blackberry users you can try runtastic . its pretty cool. uses gps to track distance and speed and uploads to its website which also has a community feature if you wanna compare yourself to other runners, friends etc. itll show average speed etc, and display in different types of graphs and will also show your route via google maps.

for blackberry users you can try runtastic . its pretty cool. uses gps to track distance and speed and uploads to its website which also has a community feature if you wanna compare yourself to other runners, friends etc. itll show average speed etc, and display in different types of graphs and will also show your route via google maps.

sounds good, but i don't think i would be comfortable running with my blackberry??

i run with my blackberry curve all the time.

i use it to listen to my music. it is also light to run with.

Ryan, i'll have to check that out. Thanks!

& personaly, i have been running for 2+ years in my Vibram Five Finger Shoes.. the KSO model. I also do everything else outdoors in them, they have done wonders for my body.