Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

yeah actually drinking milk after doing physical exercise is really good for you as well! and chocolate milk is probably perfect. not only are you getting the milk (which encourages muscle growth and fat loss) but the chocolate is the high gi element that you should be having after exercise.

interesting... I'm not really big on chocolate milk with egg smoothies on the side. Maybe I'll do scrambled eggs with some yogurt on the side. Have any of you heard about what the optimal time is to eat after a workout? I've heard anywhere from the 20 minutes immediately after to within two hours after.

exactly jackg. choco milks got that naturally perfect carb to protein we endurance athletes neeeeeed to recover. if youre doing anything over an hour try to get something in your body within 20 mins even if its just peanut butter on a cracker or some bread or a barr w/e other than that just eat as soon as you can

whats the nike free sensor all about??

nike+ tracks how far you're running, the length/rate of time and calories burned. it keeps history of your workouts and you can upload your information online to keep track and compare with friends/other runners. i think someone started a sufu runners club on here in fact. its pretty neat.

• 2 weeks later...

got some saucony cortanas for free! not super light but really responsive. good for long runs. lots of cushion and support for forefoot striking and only 4mm heel to toe drop. much more durable sole than the kinvaras, so they'll last through a lot of training. doing a Team in Training half marathon in november. our coach owns the running revolution stores in campbell and santa cruz and hooked it up because i was having some runner's knee issues.

what was your last shoe? that would help give an idea about what type of shoe you're leaning towards. Also, those shoes cater to different needs and styles of running. The Kinvara, Minimus, and Free Run are all more on the minimal side of things, whereas the DS trainer and the Lunarelite are more for stability. For what ti's worth, I had issues with the DS Trainer and the Lunarelite 2, but I've heard good things about them both.

p.s. I always think the best way to find shoes is to go to a good running store when you have a lot of time on your hands and try things on until you find something you like.

DJ_Flame, if you like the 5.0s I would suggest checking out the free run 2. I think the price is only $90 and I've heard mostly good things about them. It's probably the best place to start, and any sales person who knows anything will be able to suggest other shoes based off of how you feel about them.

• 3 weeks later...

do any of ya'll mess with compression gear? I've been having some soreness in my hamstrings and achilles, and I thought some post-run compression on the calves and/or hamstrings might help with that. What brands of compression shorts, sleeves or socks have you guys had good experiences with?

I have never used post exercise compression...but i always run in 2XU compression. kindy pricey but i feel its worth it.

http://www.2xu.com/product/235/Mens-Elite-Compression-Tight/12/223

also i have been slowly recovering from some hamstring issues, hopefully get back into longer running later this week.

have any of you guys had dry needling?? my physio loves it and i have had heaps done the last couple of weeks. i am now converted! if your injured get around dry needling.

thanks for the quick response. +repped. I'm looking for something cheaper though since I only plan to use them after workouts. Also, I looked up that dry needling. I'm too scared of needles for that stuff, but the underlying idea behind it seems reasonable. It's kind of like a active release therapy, but with needles.

thanks for the quick response. +repped. I'm looking for something cheaper though since I only plan to use them after workouts. Also, I looked up that dry needling. I'm too scared of needles for that stuff, but the underlying idea behind it seems reasonable. It's kind of like a active release therapy, but with needles.

hahah that sounds like me! when the physio first suggested it i was like no fucking way! i hate needles. but they actually aren't that bad and you get used to it pretty quickly.

maybe look into nike pro for compression they are much more reasonably priced and good quality from what i hear.

what is the deal with compression post exercise?? is it better to use compression during and then leave them on? or put compression on after exercise?

I've just heard that compression post-exercise is good for recovery and stuff. Also, most gear that is specifically designed for post-workout has a higher level of compression.

I'm not sure how much more or less benefit you get from doing it both during and after exercise though. Personally, I just don't like running with a lot of gear on (normally, I just rock short-shorts and no shirt) so I figured post-run compression was more up my alley.

^ good for you, and yeah, don't kill it on the first day.

Also, I did some more research (skimmed a few articles and stuff) about compression gear. From what I've read, it hasn't really been proven to affect performance, but most people seem to agree that compression garments reduce muscle soreness and fatigue after workouts.

^short but it feels good man

missed that

i had surgery and haven't really gotten any exercise (doctors orders) for a few months. feels good to be back on it.

going surfing this weekend with the homies too i know thats gonna hurt O_O

Jealous man! I haven't got out on the water in months. Hockey and Uni have taken over my life.

Will have to get back out there, I miss surfing every weekend!

do any of ya'll mess with compression gear? I've been having some soreness in my hamstrings and achilles, and I thought some post-run compression on the calves and/or hamstrings might help with that. What brands of compression shorts, sleeves or socks have you guys had good experiences with?

I use the Skins tights for recovery after cycling as well as when traveling to races. I'll sleep with them on after really hard races or workouts. You can get the socks for $50 and see if they seem to make a difference.

^thanks for the info. I've been looking around online and I think I might cop a cheap pair of socks and shorts in the $25 range. Race entry fees are expensive and I need some new shoes so I don't want to spend top dollar on compression gear just yet. I've been training putting in a lot of miles lately though and I've got Ragnar Vegas in a few weeks so I'm doing what I can to stay healthy and fresh.

Honestly, you may be just as well off with cheap compression socks intended for people with diabetes. Of course, Skins, 2XU and all the other manufacturers says the properties of the fabrics they use are superior yadda yadda yadda. I do like the full tights since my quads and glutes are usually where I feel it the most after a good workout. I always use them if I'm driving a few hours the morning of a race. My legs still feel a little flat from sitting in the car for a few hours but not as bad. Give them a go. If anything the mental boost may be an advantage.