Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

I bought an old ipod off a friend for cheap and then just got the nike+ adapter for it, a cheaper alternative to a new watch or iphone or whatnot. It's an older model, small and I don't have to worry about running with it in the rain or dropping it etc...

I like that you can track your history as well as the updates while your running to keep your motivation up

From what I've heard, the nike+ stuff isn't very accurate. I've heard plenty of good things about the garmin watches though... besides the clunkiness factor.

Personally, I use neither. If I really want time, distance and pace, I just use my regular watch to time myself and then I find the distance at mapmyrun.com

My nike frees are doing pretty well. I havn't really build up to larger distances yet. I can really only run about 4k, a week from starting, but theyre not giving me as much grief as other shoes have in the past.

I dont have the nike plus thing that youre meant to put in your shoe or whatever but I have the Nike+GPS app on my iphone and I kinda like it. Tells me how far i've run and tells me If I've set a new distance record. I try and run a little bit further that my previous distance every day.

Does anyone run in compression skins? Im thinking of getting a pair. Its relatively cold as its winter here and I run at midnight. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

^I think compression shorts/tights are a good choice for cold-weather running... certainly lighter and more aerodynamic than sweatpants. I'm not sold on the performance aspect on compression technology though. It's never helped me feel better or run faster.

sounds good, but i don't think i would be comfortable running with my blackberry??

well the nike shorts i use usually have a small zippered pocket in the back middle of the waist and my 8900 fits perfectly. doesnt really fee like its in the way for me at least

^ I hate putting stuff in that pocket.

Normally just arm wallet + ipod + sennheiser earphones + house key and condo access card is enough.

No need for extra bulk or anything. I find it interferes with my running "state of mind"

Raced a 5k this morning. The humidity was a bitch, but I had fun and I'm happy with my time (not quite where I want to be, but better than I expected).

Also, I got second, but they only gave awards for male and female overall, male and female masters, and the top five for every age group. What's up with that? I'm not actually mad or anything (I'm more interested in getting faster than winning medals and crap), but I just assumed they would give awards to top 3 overall.

Anyway, it's nice to finally get a race in this summer. Hopefully I can run a few more before I go back to school. Anybody else racing this summer?

• 2 weeks later...

anyone done/trained for a marathon??

i am hoping to do the melbourne marathon in october, and have been building up km's incrementally over the last couple of weeks. doing around 40kms+ per week currently.

but i am struggling to find the spare time between uni, work, hockey and all the other shit i do.

tips/program's etc etc??

It depends if you are looking to race the marathon (run it in your fastest time) or just get round the course and complete the distance. Given that you will be running for 42kms on the day, 40km per week is not a lot. When I trained for the Rotterdam marathon last year, I was putting in 60-80 miles per week with frequent 20 mile long runs on the weekend and a half marathon paced workout (tempo run) midweek. In between, it was about getting in as much volume as possible to build aerobic ability and get used to running tired.

This template worked well for me and got me 2.44 for a first marathon. Just build up gradually and stay injury free. Good luck!

i know its far away, but i always quit running in the winter because its so cold. what are some tights yall would recommend for running in like 15-32F temperature?

anyone done/trained for a marathon??

i am hoping to do the melbourne marathon in october, and have been building up km's incrementally over the last couple of weeks. doing around 40kms+ per week currently.

but i am struggling to find the spare time between uni, work, hockey and all the other shit i do.

tips/program's etc etc??

Get up earlier. I was struggling to fit in the miles for my first ultra last year, until I started rising at 5. You gotta make the time.

Get up earlier. I was struggling to fit in the miles for my first ultra last year, until I started rising at 5. You gotta make the time.

umm i really struggle getting up early, let alone running in the mornings..but this is probably the best bet!

how many hours sleep where you getting?? i normally don't get into bed till at least after 12??

pretty similar shoes, but i never tried on the hyperspeeds. i didn't really like the idea of those vents on the bottom of the sole. i guess it depends on how much support you think you need. my last 3 shoes were asics trail attack and i was only running on really rough trails, but i have pretty good form and don't heel strike, so when i was looking for a shoe to convert over to road, i wanted something really bare bones. i just went with their lightest, fastest shoe.

only had them a couple weeks so i haven't really gotten an idea of how long they'll last.

Nah, the Piranha and Hyperspeed are very different shoes. The former is a minimal and thus very lightweight shoe whereas the HS has a more cushy built-up sole with a touch of arch support and weighs a fair bit more. It's a good choice for a 10K-HM shoe but for shorter distances but probably too heavy (relatively speaking) and unresponsive. I do highly recommend the HS though.

Any female runners on here? I'm trying to get uniforms for the ASU running club, but I'm having trouble finding a good women's singlet. I like the Brooks Men's Distance Sinlet for the guys, but the women's version got pretty crappy reviews. Also, the Eastbay MM singlet looks good, but I don't see any feedback for the women's version. Any feedback or suggestions of places to look would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
getting back on the horse again. hope to work my way back up to 20 miles a week then keep on keepin on!

Good man! i had a slight ham string tear so i haven't run in almost a week! it seriously sucks!!!!

went to the physio and had acupuncture which made it feel sooo much better!

^^I think the pocket is intended for your keys... it just happens to fit a nano ;)

I've dramatically increased my running since I've gotten back to school. I went from not running at all for a few weeks to track workout Thursday morning, about 4 miles easy Thursday evening, about 9 miles Saturday morning and 5 or 6 this morning. So far, I still feel good, but I see if I'm all sore and tired in a few days.

Also, I've got a kitchen and some free time this semester. Any ideas for good post-run meals and/or smoothies I can try to make?

whats the nike free sensor all about??

in terms of post running food, i did PE in year 12 at school and they always said you should eat high gi food straight after running. also if your making smoothies chuck some eggs in, the protein is great for both muscles recovery and growth.