Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

picked up a pair of these today, nike free runs +

I didn't really know what to expect but I just came back from a really good run with them, definitely recommended. I don't have the nike + ipod thing yet but was considering it, for those of you who have it would you say it's worth it?

nikefreerun1.jpg

Hey, my username is gnewix if you wanna add me. I haven't added any friends on Nike+ before, what kind of functions do you get?

Just friend requested you. My user name is ChadJordanEsq

The friend request thing is cool because you can compete in challanges, motivate each other, trash talk, get in contests, see the other persons runs & millage they put up as well. Very cool. I currently have 3 friends added & im thinking the more the merrier.

picked up a pair of these today, nike free runs +

I didn't really know what to expect but I just came back from a really good run with them, definitely recommended. I don't have the nike + ipod thing yet but was considering it, for those of you who have it would you say it's worth it?

nikefreerun1.jpg

Its definetely worth it. Ever since I got it & can acurately see how many calories iver burned, how many miles Im doing a week, a day and month, set goals for myself, and have all these different playlists its inspired me to run further & longer & more. Plus its only about 30 bucks...well worth it. IMO. Those Nike Frees are good btw. Was considering those untill I setteled on Lunarglide2 for a little more support.

Thought I'd share my running playlist: http://cityruns.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/playlist/

Some cheesy songs on there but what the hell, they help me keep going. Interested to know what you guys have on your playlists!

This is very cool. Thanks. My playlist is constantly changing so adding new things is always a plus. Will share mine soon as well.

I just ordered a nike + for the ipod but I'm hearing good things about the adidas micoach. Anyone have any experience with it?

Let us know when you get your Nike+ set up so we can friend request.

was wondering if many of you guys used GPS watches? Been wanting to get one for a while now and finally did some research and looks like i'll be settling for a Garmin. Amazon as the the Forerunner 305 for a ridiculous price ($140) and from what i gather, the only things missing vs. the 405/405cx is the touch bezel, wireless connectivity and smaller size so i'll probably go for that, but want to make sure i'm not missing on anything important.

I'm getting back in shape after 3 years of 80h+ a week of work and I'm both a geek and love numbers / statistics so any tips/suggestions on the garmin software or web-based fitness/lifestyle applications are appreciated

^ congrats... I have two friends with Garmins and they love them. I'm sure you'll like yours too.

Does anyone here incorporate strength training with their running? I've always been pretty lazy about working out (I do a couple push ups and some crunches every once in a while), but I've been thinking about going to the weight room once or twice a week to supplement my running. Is there any sort of beginner-level strength training program that I can do that won't have any adverse effects on my running? I don't want to be the hulk or anything... I just want to stay healthy and prevent injuries.

^ I weight lift & work out as well. In fact, getting cardio on the treadmill is what got me into long distance outside running to begin with. I go to the gym 5 times a week & Im not bulky, but I am lean and muscular. Running will keep your weight in check so you wont get huge while lifting weights, also you have to take in ALOT of calories if you are talking about getting really big. So dont worry about that aspect. In fact weight lifting can only help your running as far as endurance is concerned & leg excercises stregnthen your legs and help with running big time, I speak from experience.

The best thing to do for a beginers weight lifting program is research because everyone is different. I could give you one, but its what worked for me, after trial & error of trying allot of different ones. The net is a good place to start for research but theres allot of bullshit on the net too. What I ended up doing was purchasing a book called "The Body You Want In The Time You Have" published by Mens Health. It details the workout you want to do complete with pictures & instructions & concerning the time u have. LMK how it works out.

was wondering if many of you guys used GPS watches? Been wanting to get one for a while now and finally did some research and looks like i'll be settling for a Garmin. Amazon as the the Forerunner 305 for a ridiculous price ($140) and from what i gather, the only things missing vs. the 405/405cx is the touch bezel, wireless connectivity and smaller size so i'll probably go for that, but want to make sure i'm not missing on anything important.

I'm getting back in shape after 3 years of 80h+ a week of work and I'm both a geek and love numbers / statistics so any tips/suggestions on the garmin software or web-based fitness/lifestyle applications are appreciated

I would like to know about the Garmins as well if anyone has any info. Was thinking about getting one. But they seem pricey considering I get allot of the same info from my Nike+. LMK if its worth it.

Guest on-display

I love my nike frees and I love my adidas micoach. Its nice having someone tell you to speed up/slow down, plus the website / running plans are all too good. Ive head good things about the Garmin 305, will cop in the future.

Subculture, thanks for the help. I ordered that book the other day and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Sunday, I ended up running six miles and then going to the gym where I did a few sets of leg machines, curls with the free weights and pull-ups. It felt good to work out, but the pull-ups made my arms pretty sore.

I've been running for around 3 months now. When I started I couldn't run a mile and now I'm doing 5-10 a day with a once a week long run of around 15. Training for a marathon. I need a 405. Ugh, it's just so expensive.

Looking for people to run with around DC. Running in the city or I guess trail running outside of DC? Ionooo? I've just moved to DC so I don't know the area well.

sup subculture

so I just copped a nike+ sensor and I'm waiting on a lace pouch to come in the mail and I'm going to start running. Let's get some sufu Nike+ shit poppin. I fucking hate the all-Flash site, but add me on there: majorwaves.

sup subculture

so I just copped a nike+ sensor and I'm waiting on a lace pouch to come in the mail and I'm going to start running. Let's get some sufu Nike+ shit poppin. I fucking hate the all-Flash site, but add me on there: majorwaves.

i just found out that i got admitted back into university (sorta). that means i can use their indoor tracks.

GET AT ME BRO (in two weeks), same name on Nike+.

Subculture, thanks for the help. I ordered that book the other day and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Sunday, I ended up running six miles and then going to the gym where I did a few sets of leg machines, curls with the free weights and pull-ups. It felt good to work out, but the pull-ups made my arms pretty sore.

Glad I could help. That book is great, got me muscular & lean in about 7 months of use. When I weight train I usually lift in the mornings & then wait to the afternoons to run so I dont tire myself out on one or the other though.

I've been running for around 3 months now. When I started I couldn't run a mile and now I'm doing 5-10 a day with a once a week long run of around 15. Training for a marathon. I need a 405. Ugh, it's just so expensive.

Looking for people to run with around DC. Running in the city or I guess trail running outside of DC? Ionooo? I've just moved to DC so I don't know the area well.

GL on that marathon man. Im doing a half in January & Im feeling like I shoulda just went for the full marathon cause Im doing 12 miles on my long runs pretty comfortably. Next time.

sup subculture

Listen to this man. SuFu running club....lets do it.

I did a mile time trial this morning. It felt good to run something fast for time again, but I felt like death for the next hour or so afterward. It's all good now though, I'm about to do some easy miles with friends tonight. How's everyone else's running going?

Great. Upping my miles to about 45 miles a week with my long runs being aout 12 miles. Cant wait till this weather breaks though. It will be hot as hell in Houston at least untill Mid October. So I have to run at night so I dont die from heat stroke...Im talking like starting out at 8:30 PM and ending at 10pm or later.

I'm a former hs cross country runner but stopped in the winter and didn't start up again until now. I really underestimated how out of shape I am. Ran a little over a mile two days ago and felt like death but that was really just stupidity for not drinking enough and running cold without stretching.

Just did 1.5 miles now and feeling good, gonna work up slowly from here to avoid shin splints/overuse injuries

I've been running 20 miles a week for the past 5 weeks and feel great. entertaining the idea of training for a marathon but that's a ways away. would like to complete a half-marathon in the meantime though!

i can't stand all the clutter of sunglasses, watches, ipod, headphones, nike whateverthefuck. only thing i take with me is my car key and i hold it in my hand so it doesn't bounce around. i run 5k 5 times a week and all i know is i do it in less than 20 minutes.

the nike whateverthefuck is a very small sensor attached to your shoe at all times and takes no effort or thought at all.

well, in the case of that thing, i just don't care about stats at all. same reason i don't use a watch. most people use those things to measure progress or keep motivated. i'm already where i want to be, fitness wise and i just run because i enjoy it and want to be out there.