Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

jcab, thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Asics GEL-1140. they feel good and fit well so far... I wanna ger some GEL Kayano 15's though if I find some at a cheap price. they felt amazing.

and I personally don't like running in the rain... it feels good if you're overheated, but clothes get heavy, your shoes get wet and smelly and its hard to see with all the rain in my eyes... just my 2 cents.

i'd much rather run in the rain than 100° heat. it's soothing listening to the rain while i run. i have trail shoes that don't mind water and my shorts and shirts are all light weight and made for running, so that never weighs me down. you're out running. you're getting wet and smelly no matter what.

i did slip when it was really muddy and twisted my ankle once though. that's wasn't cool, but it was only tender for a week or so, and it's the only time i've even come close to hurting myself in 4 years running on the same trail rain or shine.

don't know how i missed this thread but good to see other fellow runners on sufu.

i actually started running again recently. been doing about 3-4 mi, 2-3 days a week. might increase that once my body gets used to it again. i can only go 3+ mi until i need to stop and walk. hopefully, in a few weeks, i can go at least 6+ mi without stopping.

Sucks reading this thread when being injured... Had a run without my orthopaedic insoles something like two weeks ago, adding the stupid idea to do intervals and since then my ankle is angry.

After some time trying around (which, of course, didnt really make it better) I am taking a running break now....

Spend the time in the gym + swim some lanes.

Anybody thought about triathlon, though? Only thing which prevents me is the investment in a bike.

Re: weather - I literally run whatever the weather is like (except too hot). I dont even understand ppl taking a break during winter... Best thing is a long run when it's snowing.. has sth melancholical. The silence.... The loneliness.... I love it...

^ although I'm not big on running in the rain, I love running in the snow. Ice on the ground can be a little dangerous, but the feeling of snow flakes flying in your face is great and there's usually less traffic when it's blizzardy. It's kind of hard to do workouts in the snow though... in the wintertime, I mostly just run for the fun of it.

I find that cold weather running sucks really bad in the first 10 - 15 mins (numb hands, hard to breathe), then as you warm up and get going its the best run ever. Something about sweating and having it cooled off by the cold win and the smoke rising is great. But this is coming from someone who lives in Houston. So while we had a rough winter here last year (snowed TWICE!) Im sure its nothing like other climates, especially up north. I'd probably be the biggest wimp in REALLY cold weather cause Ive lived in the south my whole life.

Anyway...what kinda miles is everyone putting up a week? I do about 30 a week. Im thinking about doing a half marathon this fall so I may start to up my numbers.

Doing a 10K this Thanksgiving & a half marathon in January. Whats a good time to start specific training for both? My Nike+ system says 12 weeks. In essence Im always training cause Im always running, but I dont want to start specifically training for a long race too early for risk of hurting myself for running to long for such a long period of time.

ever since last year i haven't been able to go more than 5k or so, before my left knee starts to really hurt. like it's a cartilage thing. i like 5k though. i did the 2 mile in track and ran 5k cross country races, so i can run it at a really fast pace, it doesn't take a lot of time and training for that distance doesn't make you all frail looking. so i do that about 5 times a week up in the hills on a nice trail by the lake.

Wish I could get some hill running in, but this is Houston, theres like one hill here & its man made in a park far away from me.

I feel for you, I lived in an area for a couple years without hills, but there was a beach with deep sand. I would run uphill both directions if I could.

What kind of milage do you guys put in each week? Im usually just shy of 40mi.

I'm around 30 miles a week right now too, but i'm not doing any specific training at the moment... I'll probably pick up the mileage once fall comes.

Do any of you guys take your shirts off while you run? I've been doing that a lot lately, but I haven't found any really good ways to carry my shirt... I usually tuck it into my shorts, but it always makes me a little afraid that It's going to fall out while I'm running.

Wish I could get some hill running in, but this is Houston, theres like one hill here & its man made in a park far away from me.

This made me laugh...

Last year when I started specific training for my first marathon I used to drive 45 min to a place where I could run for 15 min straight without battling up a hill. My run home from work once per week includes 1500 feet vertical within 8 miles w/o the chance to cut down on the hills.

^lol where do u live?

I'm around 30 miles a week right now too, but i'm not doing any specific training at the moment... I'll probably pick up the mileage once fall comes.

Do any of you guys take your shirts off while you run? I've been doing that a lot lately, but I haven't found any really good ways to carry my shirt... I usually tuck it into my shorts, but it always makes me a little afraid that It's going to fall out while I'm running.

I had the same problem when taking off my shirt mid run so I juyst started leaving my shirt in the car and go bare chested the whole time. I did this once & I almost never wear a shirt when running, unless of course its cold out. But once the temp hits about 60 and above the shirt comes off. No chafing, no heavy shirts dripping with sweat, get to feel the wind and sun on my skin, Just no down side to running shirtless IMO.

haha running topless is fantastic! But running all year round i think is great, its currently winter in melbourne so its thermal top, tshirt, skins and running shorts, but that being said running in the rain is sooo nice, totally rejuvenating!

subculture, i don't claim to be an expert but as long as you gradually increase your weekly km, i don't see an issue in you starting training really early.

I am currently doing around 50km weeks, but i have just gone back to uni so its really hard to find the time to run that much.

Thanks for the advice jackg. Turns out that the half marathon is going to be closer then I thought though. I cant run the one in January of next year so the next xlosest thing I could find in my area is this October. I really want to run it but Im wonder if its enough training time?

I think you should be fine if you start training now. You just need some experience doing longer training runs and more focused training for the half marathon distance. Also, if you're worried about injuries, you don't need to do ridiculous amounts of mileage every week. It's more important to get quality mileage within workouts than it is to have long, slow training runs.

Yeah thats what I suspected. Right now I do about 30 miles a week and my longest run in a week is usually 7 to 8 miles. So I figure if I just gradually start running longer I will be ok. Also I have to work on my pacing, I always tell myself to keep a slower pace but it seems my body unconciously pushes harder without me even knowing. By the end of a 8 mile run Im usually dying because for the last 2 or 3 miles Im damn near sprinting. i dont know if its adreniline or if Im trying to get it down but that last kick is always a beast. If I can get myself under control I think I will be ok.

haven't read through whole thread but anyone run with ankle weights or even just holding weights as your running? thinking about putting some load into my runs, just to change it up a bit.

I don't, and personally i would be a little weary of running with weights, a quick google search turned up this

http://weighttraining.about.com/b/2009/02/01/walking-or-running-with-weights.htm

but i would do some thorough investigation before going ahead

Bumping to see if anyone has gotten thier Nike+

I need to add more friends.

still haven't subculture! sorry i have been slack, back at uni and i have hardly had any time to run at all!

haven't read through whole thread but anyone run with ankle weights or even just holding weights as your running? thinking about putting some load into my runs, just to change it up a bit.

yeah, I would be a little wary of running with ankle weights. Lately, I've been running with two full water bottles... That's sort of like running with weights. I haven't really had any difficulty with it either aside from sore arms

I don't, and personally i would be a little weary of running with weights, a quick google search turned up this

http://weighttraining.about.com/b/2009/02/01/walking-or-running-with-weights.htm

but i would do some thorough investigation before going ahead

still haven't subculture! sorry i have been slack, back at uni and i have hardly had any time to run at all!

No problem man. Just LMK when u guys get on board.

Im up to 40 miles a week now tho...getting there!

I may be selling a pretty new pair of Nike LunarGlide+ in a size 12.

Ugly colorway (red, black, and neon green), but who really cares for running shoes, right?

Probably just shy of 50 miles on them, so tons of life. Very little outsole wear.

Would love to keep them but I just don't think they work with my body.

Figured I would check here before I ask other places.

PM me if you want pictures/or details....basically just an interest check at this point.

On a more on-topic and more depressing note, I'm suffering from an IT Band issue, so my running has basically halted completely. It sucks bad.

I may be selling a pretty new pair of Nike LunarGlide+ in a size 12.

Ugly colorway (red, black, and neon green), but who really cares for running shoes, right?

Probably just shy of 50 miles on them, so tons of life. Very little outsole wear.

Would love to keep them but I just don't think they work with my body.

Figured I would check here before I ask other places.

PM me if you want pictures/or details....basically just an interest check at this point.

On a more on-topic and more depressing note, I'm suffering from an IT Band issue, so my running has basically halted completely. It sucks bad.

Gonna bump this for u. I implore anyone whos looking for new running shoes to cop these. Great running shoes. I have the same in a different colorway in the same size. Shit, if I had the $ right now I would take them off your hands just to have a 2nd pair. Plus, the colorway is good cause I like my running shoe sto be a little loud.