Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

Gonna try and get back into some running this weekend. Been very hard to sustain any regular training since an IT band injury and ongoing hamstring problems last October but I've renewed motivation to run now after all but giving up earlier in the year. Just going to try once or twice a week together with some gym work to address the underlying problems. Fingers crossed I'll be able to return to proper training and racing in the spring.

nice man! what sort of program are you following??

don't really have a rigid program or anything, though i am taking part in team in training, so we have organized runs/practices 2-3 times a week. i'm signed up for the big sur half marathon on the 20th of november, so i'm slowly building up to that. will be my first time running that distance or doing any kind of organized race since my cross country days.

Had one of the shittiest days of my life. Was punching walls and breaking shit on the way home. Decided I needed a run. Hadn't hit the pavement since summer, but it felt so natural tonight. This time last year I hurt myself right after running 42 miles. Never really got back on the horse in the same way. Tonight I did 20 at a better clip than I was running last year, and felt solid the whole time. How did I ever stop running?

had a horrible run last night. I posted a wordy, overly-detailed account on my blog, but basically, I got lost, chased by a dog, ran through a pit of thorns, and spent another two hours finding my way back. From now on, I think I'm going to stay away from strange neighborhoods and country roads when I go on long runs by myself. Also, it might be a good idea to pack money, a phone and a shirt if whenever I plan to go far into unknown areas.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having this problem while running at the moment. My feet are letting me down. They start getting blisters on them after only 4km and makes it impossible to go any further even though my body is capable of doing more. Anyone else experienced this or had a solution? My shoes fit perfectly so I'm not sure how I can fix it.

ive been doing a 5K every other day

great exploring your neighborhood while running

found some weird back alleys i'd never have stumbled upon otherwise

i am working on upping my pace but it is too lousy to even post right now

been reading up on chi running and i've not felt the knee pain i'd experienced in the past

total convert to midfoot/forefoot strikes

nike frees have really helped me too i think

anyone watch MARATHON BOY on HBO?

crazy documentary on this boy from Indian (red dot) slums who was running double marathons at age 4

^^ I have blister issues too. You could try some bodyglide. You just put it where you think you'll get blisters, and it reduces the friction. It works pretty well for chafing too. Also, they have specific bandaids and stuff for blisters that might work too. I've never had any luck with them, but they might help if you get blisters on the soles or sides of your feet as opposed ti your toes. Honestly, the only thing I really do is try to keep my feet dry with some foot powder on long runs and drain blisters that are getting too big and uncomfortable. Other than that, I just try to ignore them.

I heard about that marathon boy thing. Is it any good? It sounds crazy.

first half-marathon coming up on sunday. never been one to time myself at all but i listed myself at 1:45. :o

did 12 miles a couple weekends ago and felt pretty good until the last half mile or so. i'm a thin guy and have good form but it still takes a toll on your joints getting used to those distances. cardio-wise i'm fine. had a little IT band flare-up during a 6 miler this last weekend so i'm just resting this week until race day.

Edited by Rob060

big sur half-marathon in 1:43:35. happy with the time for it being my first one, but i know i can do a lot better. i had a couple nagging injuries that kept my training progress back a lot the last few months so my body is still getting used to distances over 8 miles. i was running a 7:30 mile pace at the 8 mile mark but blisters and joint pain slowed me down the last few.

awesome experience and i raised $3300 for team in training.

6380445601_a8b79cb3b9_z.jpg

Edited by Rob060

• 2 weeks later...

I raced my first half today. I was doing pretty well until I started thinking about getting gatorade at mile 9.I stopped running and it messed up my rhythm and concentration. Also, my ankles got really sore after that. I think if I can get some long runs in and figure out my race nutrition, I can run a good time for my next half in december.

• 2 months later...

Friend/colleague that owns a couple running stores in the San Jose area is letting me test out some Newtons. Been a forefoot striker for 6 years and next half marathon is in June, so they seem meant for me and I have time to get used to them if I decide to get them. New distance trainer for 2012 will be under 8oz.

just took them for a 4 mile tempo run and they felt damn good, but it'll take another couple runs for my feet to get used to splaying out over the lugs I think. I'm testing out the Isaac, which is their heaviest road model, but if I take the plunge, I'd be getting the Distance model.

They're so fugly, it's amazing.

default.jpg

3136220777_62797609c4.jpg

Even if I get 20% off the Newtons, I'm still not totally sold on them yet. My main concern is the longevity at that price. As long as the lugs are worn down evenly, they're supposed to last a long time. I did wear down the forefoot of my [free] Saucony Cortanas pretty evenly, but I do hit a little on the lateral side of the foot on impact and wore that part of the tread on my Asics Piranahs out in a few runs. I'll take the Newtons on a lighter paced 6 miler tomorrow and see what the wear patterns look like.

If I don't get the Newtons, I'm getting the Brooks PureConnect. Tested them out in the parking lot and they felt amazing for looking so minimal. A lot more cushion than my flats, without feeling spongy. I'm looking for something in the 7-8oz range, for forefoot striking, with as little heel padding as possible and an anatomical last that can go on longer distance runs. I think Brooks really hit the right balance with this one. and they're only $90, compared to $160 for newtons.

bpconm1-1.jpg

Edited by Rob060

Friend/colleague that owns a couple running stores in the San Jose area is letting me test out some Newtons. Been a forefoot striker for 6 years and next half marathon is in June, so they seem meant for me and I have time to get used to them if I decide to get them. New distance trainer for 2012 will be under 8oz.

just took them for a 4 mile tempo run and they felt damn good, but it'll take another couple runs for my feet to get used to splaying out over the lugs I think. I'm testing out the Isaac, which is their heaviest road model, but if I take the plunge, I'd be getting the Distance model.

They're so fugly, it's amazing.

default.jpg

3136220777_62797609c4.jpg

Even if I get 20% off the Newtons, I'm still not totally sold on them yet. My main concern is the longevity at that price. As long as the lugs are worn down evenly, they're supposed to last a long time. I did wear down the forefoot of my [free] Saucony Cortanas pretty evenly, but I do hit a little on the lateral side of the foot on impact and wore that part of the tread on my Asics Piranahs out in a few runs. I'll take the Newtons on a lighter paced 6 miler tomorrow and see what the wear patterns look like.

If I don't get the Newtons, I'm getting the Brooks PureConnect. Tested them out in the parking lot and they felt amazing for looking so minimal. A lot more cushion than my flats, without feeling spongy. I'm looking for something in the 7-8oz range, for forefoot striking, with as little heel padding as possible and an anatomical last that can go on longer distance runs. I think Brooks really hit the right balance with this one. and they're only $90, compared to $160 for newtons.

bpconm1-1.jpg

Just a warning on the Pureconnects...for some reason Brooks designed these so that the top of the heel cup comes up to a rounded point rather than a little recessed. Basically the area at the top of the heel where the grey inner liner meets the green exterior. In any case, what happened to me was that this pointed area kept putting pressure on my achilles tendon. After about a week the pain was so bad that I couldn't even walk in these shoes. I can't figure out why Brooks wouldn't have designed these with more of a recessed heel collar like 99% of the running shoes on the market.

yea, i've noticed that after i got them. had run 4 miles in them the first day, then took them for a run the next day in some socks that ended up dropping below the padding on the left side and got a little blister there. never noticed it while running. only afterward. i don't run without socks and i have plenty that don't drop that low, so hopefully it won't turn into much of a problem. if anything, i'll mash down that point or just cut it out if i have too. i like everything else about these shoes too much.

Edited by Rob060

never really considered myself a runner when i was younger, but now i am a bit older and wiser. running is definitely a great release. preparing for the 2012 LA marathon in march. currently living in jersey city but looking forward to flying back home and knocking out 26.2

that gray pseudo carbon fiber strap on the pureconnect that wraps around the heel is what was jamming into my achilles. the one on the left shoe was at a slanted angle toward the tendon, moreso than the shoe in that picture, and bit right into the skin, mainly when i'd walk or drive. the one on the right side is more or less parallel with the tendon and has given me no problems. waiting for a new shipment to come in to exchange them. hopefully i can find two shoes that work because other than that issue, they felt like the perfect mix of weight/responsiveness and cushion.

Edited by Rob060

just ran 8.5 miles in the snow/rain. wanted to run 6, but lost my keys down a storm drain and had to run all the way through the city to my wife's work to get keys (mattapan to cambridge for my boston people). been running more, but also been playing soccer more. soccer has been helping me get a little speed back.

any of you guys true believers in this compression business? seems a bit faddish to me but i'm open to being persuaded...