japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

to be fair I havent been to bear pond in 2 years. I tried two of their single origins, I found it to be super watery, underextracted, like the 100yen coffee you get from mcdonalds but less bitter and less burnt tasting.

Saturdays serves La Colombe in Tokyo? The owner of La Colombe has a show on Travel Channel where he sneaks around drug lords and guerrillas to find rare heirloom coffees, pays the farmer in cash, and writes out a contract on napkins.

to be fair I havent been to bear pond in 2 years. I tried two of their single origins, I found it to be super watery, underextracted, like the 100yen coffee you get from mcdonalds but less bitter and less burnt tasting.

Saturdays serves La Colombe in Tokyo? The owner of La Colombe has a show on Travel Channel where he sneaks around drug lords and guerrillas to find rare heirloom coffees, pays the farmer in cash, and writes out a contract on napkins.

Saturdays serves their original blend? I don't think it's La Colombe. La Colombe's espresso machine in the SOHO location looks pretty sick. I don't know much about the coffee scene in NYC but I really liked Abraçao in East Village.

*edit* Saturday's serves ãƒ­ã‚¤ãƒ¤ãƒ«ãƒ»ã‚¯ãƒªã‚¹ã‚¿ãƒ«ã‚«ãƒ•ã‚§ã®ã‚ªãƒªã‚¸ãƒŠãƒ«ãƒ»ãƒ–レンド

Edited by herpsky

coming to Tokyo from Portland has been kind weird, coffee-wise.  Obviously the general level of quality is drastically lower, but the little "3rd wave" (if you can really call them that) shops that i've been to have generally been good.

Bear Pond was satisfying, but definitely not some revelatory experience.  The macchiato I had at On The Corner was possibly better than the Dirty I felt compelled to get at the shimokita location.

It's been getting hot so my perception may be skewed since i've been drinking iced things more than normal.  I had an iced americano from Omotesando that was excellent, and a mediocre one from Streamer. 

Idunno, it definitely makes me appreciate Stumptown but even more so: the hundreds of much smaller roasters in pdx.

Oh, the espresso I had at the monocle cafe was legit.

Not a huge fan of bear pond; they served me espresso in a paper cup the first time.

Streamers in Hara also does the espresso in paper cup thing...are you fucking kidding me? Also served way too hot, charred flavor etc etc

Never had spro at OK, those baked custard things are awesome though. 

Have yet to have 'enjoyable' spro in TKO. That said, some of the other shit I've had at Streamers is quite good, even if the coffee quality is mediocre. It really doesn't matter much in lattexwtf drinks.

It's not like my expectations are CRAZY high, it's just kind of sad that basically every coffee chain in Korea serves stuff that demolishes the 'best' stuff in japland.

Lots of places have really awesome cold drip madness, sadly, that's not my jam.

It's not like my expectations are CRAZY high, it's just kind of sad that basically every coffee chain in Korea serves stuff that demolishes the 'best' stuff in japland.

dunno about all that

How is Think over in Korea? It seems popular with koreans in NYC, but its prob the worst coffee here.

I think i've been to every 3rd wave cafe in Tokyo over the past year or two and i find that there's a big emphasis on experience and feel and less on the actual product.  Omotesando Koffee is a good example of that.  The only time i've had an espresso in Japan where i thought "ok, this is on par with the best in Portland/SF" is at Be A Good Neighbor, they're doing it right.

I need to check out Be A Good Neighbor - it's on my list but I never find the time.  I'm only here for 4 months, which should be a lot of time except I've got school, etc and it's flying by.  Definitely agree on the experience and feel > product.

Have you been to Paddlers Kiya? I'd be interested to hear what you think.

the fuck? why would you do such a thing mr. herps?

that madness is warranted.

i had like walking pneumonia

or my syphilis was acting up

Edited by herpsky

-=Based on a true story=- Sup mrip

( ^o^)< I'm doutei

( ˘⊖˘) 。o(I think I can get laid at Muse)

|Muse| ┗(☋` )┓三Gonna cop some JBZs スイ♪スイ♪

( ◠‿◠ )☛Sir, show us a proof of employment e.g. ID♪

▂▅▇█▓▒░(’ω’)░▒▓█▇▅▂ ã†ã‚ã‚ã‚ã‚ã‚ã‚ã‚

_人人人人人人_ 
>  童貞   < 
ï¿£^Y^Y^Y^Y^Yï¿£

ãã—ã¦

_人人 人人_

> çªç„¶ã®æ­» <
ï¿£Y^Y^Y^Yï¿£

Edited by herpsky

Oh right. They didn't let you in because you are unemployed.

That sucks man.

BTW, I met a friend of mine that lives in Austin TX.

He might be able to help you secure jobs in the area.

Are you living there now?

Oh right. They didn't let you in because you are unemployed.

That sucks man.

BTW, I met a friend of mine that lives in Austin TX.

He might be able to help you secure jobs in the area.

Are you living there now?

I'm in Houston but I'll move anywhere.