japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

would wear

Hmmm. Do you have long arms and/or broad shoulders?

It's hard to find inexpensive clothes for tall and skinny guys. Hard to find clothes that have an european cut i.e. long sleeves, wide shoulder, skinny torso

havent had much luck either.

isetan is a safe bet. attachment works for tall people

Housing advice...

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Tokyo at the end of this month for school. We'll be there from end of March through the end of July and are looking for places to live. (yes, last minute...) The university offered us dorms, but they were super restrictive in terms of curfews and the commingling of the sexes, so we are saying no. The campus is in Nakano, so ideally we're looking for something close by via metro or bike.

We've mostly been looking at Gaijin houses, specifically www.sakura-house.com but I have no idea if that's reasonable/sketchy/etc. The prices are absurdly good though...

thoughts? warnings? advice? thanks in advance.

Housing advice...

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Tokyo at the end of this month for school. We'll be there from end of March through the end of July and are looking for places to live. (yes, last minute...) The university offered us dorms, but they were super restrictive in terms of curfews and the commingling of the sexes, so we are saying no. The campus is in Nakano, so ideally we're looking for something close by via metro or bike.

We've mostly been looking at Gaijin houses, specifically www.sakura-house.com but I have no idea if that's reasonable/sketchy/etc. The prices are absurdly good though...

i stayed in the 'green lodge' koenji gaijin house for 2.5 months in 2009 - it was pretty good considering the price. ironically even though it was a gaijin house 4 of the 6 people in the house were japanese. unless things have changed, the company also had one in nakano, ikebukuro and sugamo - sakura house are probably the best known gaijin house company by far, but have some really strict/crazy rules from memory.

Edited by conqueror

ã•ã¾ã–ã¾ãªã‚¯ãƒªã‚¨ã‚¤ã‚¿ãƒ¼é”ãŒã€æœ€è¿‘è²·ã£ãŸã„ã‚ã‚“ãªãƒ¢ãƒŽã‚’

紹介ã™ã‚‹ç‰©æ¬²è§¦ç™ºãƒžã‚¬ã‚¸ãƒ³ã€Œiboughtã€å‰µåˆŠå·ãŒç™ºå£²ã«

ãªã‚Šã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

iboughts.jpg

表紙ã¯HIROSHI FUJIWARA at SOPH.。

200人ã®ã‚¯ãƒªã‚¨ã‚¤ã‚¿ãƒ¼é”ãŒæœ€è¿‘è²·ã£ãŸã‚‚ã®ã‚’リスト化

ã—ã¦ç´¹ä»‹ã™ã‚‹ãƒ¢ãƒŽãƒžã‚¬ã‚¸ãƒ³ã«ãªã‚Šã¾ã™ã€‚

ibought アイボウト vol.1

INFOREST MOOK 定価 1000円 JAN 9784800600677

i stayed in the 'green lodge' koenji gaijin house for 2.5 months in 2009 - it was pretty good considering the price. ironically even though it was a gaijin house 4 of the 6 people in the house were japanese. unless things have changed, the company also had one in nakano, ikebukuro and sugamo - sakura house are probably the best known gaijin house company by far, but have some really strict/crazy rules from memory.

hmm, well we're in the process of talking to sakura - based on their website/faq section nothing pops out as crazy. what kind of crazy are we talking about?

thanks for the advice...

Housing advice...

In grad school I lived in the Shibuya Sakura House right next to Womb (a fact they conveniently forgot to mention to me when I went to see the apartment during the day). It was a shared bathroom/shared kitchen 7 or 8 unit "house" and was totally fine as a place to crash at the end of the day but little more than that. Other inhabitants were a mix of Europeans on extended vacations and Japanese bicycle messengers. Overall, as a place for you and your girl, unless you want to wait for the shower and such, I'd look elsewhere.

hmm, well we're in the process of talking to sakura - based on their website/faq section nothing pops out as crazy. what kind of crazy are we talking about?

thanks for the advice...

i just remember them being really strict with noise, visitors and cleanliness (charging insane fees after moving in for non-existent mess). search on some of the 'expat' forums for bad experiences.

thanks for all the input - the place we're looking at isn't a shared house, it's an apartment right near ekoda park. a few blocks from shinekoda station, etc.

we're getting down to it time-wise, so i guess we're gonna probably go for it, i'll be sure to report back/sleep on one of your couches soon.

Top 50 restaurants in Asia

http://www.worlds50b...estaurants.html

1. Narisawa, Tokyo

2. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo

3. Nahm, Bangkok

4. Amber, Hong Kong

5. Restaurant Andre, Singapore

6. 8-1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong

7. Mr & Mrs Bund, Shanghai

8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai

9. Iggy’s Singapore

10. Gaggan, Bangkok

Edited by herpsky

thanks for the advice...

I stayed at a Sakura House apartment for a total of five months and loved it. No experience with shared rooms, but the private apartment was great. They were flexible with letting me leave mid-month and I had no problem getting my entire deposit amount back.

Edited by ruach

Good read -

è£åŽŸç³»ãŒçµ‚ã‚ã£ãŸã®ã¯ã„ã¤ãªã®ã‹ï¼Ÿãƒˆãƒ¬ãƒ³ãƒ‰ã®æµã‚Œã‚’俯瞰ã—検証ã™ã‚‹

http://taf5686.269g.net/article/17487258.html

Good read -

è£åŽŸç³»ãŒçµ‚ã‚ã£ãŸã®ã¯ã„ã¤ãªã®ã‹ï¼Ÿãƒˆãƒ¬ãƒ³ãƒ‰ã®æµã‚Œã‚’俯瞰ã—検証ã™ã‚‹

http://taf5686.269g....e/17487258.html

Interesting article.

Especially this comment about Supreme.

今ã®ã¨ã“ã‚è£åŽŸãƒ–ームã®æ™‚ã®ã‚ˆã†ã«è¡Œåˆ—ãŒã§ããŸã‚Šã™ã‚‹ã®ã¯ã‚·ãƒ¥ãƒ—リームãらã„ã ã¨æ€ã„ã¾ã™ãŒã€ä»–ã®è£åŽŸãƒ»ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒ–ランドãŒ90年代水準ã«ã¾ã§ç†±ç‹‚çš„ã«ç››ã‚Šä¸ŠãŒã‚‹ã“ã¨ã¯é›£ã—ã„ã®ã§ã¯ãªã„ã§ã—ょã†ã‹ã€‚アダム・キメルã€ã‚®ãƒ£ãƒ«ã‚½ãƒ³ã€ã‚¯ãƒ©ãƒ¼ã‚¯ã‚¹ã€ãƒ´ã‚¡ãƒ³ã‚ºã€ãƒŽãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒ•ã‚§ã‚¤ã‚¹ã€ãƒãƒ£ãƒ³ãƒ”オンã€ãƒŠã‚¤ã‚­ã€ãƒ‹ãƒ¥ãƒ¼ã‚¨ãƒ©ãªã©ã¨ã‚³ãƒ©ãƒœã‚’連発ã—ã¦ã„るシュプリームãŒç‰¹æ®Šãªã ã‘ã§ã™ã€‚

But is this really a Neo-Harajuku Boom? I would argue its just the natural evolution of Tokyo street fashion that now is taking elements of late 90s street/hip-hop and mixing into the current wardrobe. As fashion progresses who is to say that in 5-10 years time will be mixing elements of Hedi-Dior Hommme boom into our fashion lexicon.

He mentions Goodenough, C.E., and RISE as potential brands to take the mantle of this potential new boom. Can't really see that happening to be honest.

Although I quite like the retro-futurism concept of C.E.

i won't be in town for versus tokyo but let us know how it is.

Still no job offers at of today. I guess the absolute last day to get an offer is Friday.

I stayed home all day looking at my cell. No calls. Was told there might be a spot at the place I have affiliation with. Honestly, I can't really trust anyone b/c one told me that they would offer me a spot and totally flaked.

Interesting article.

Especially this comment about Supreme.

But is this really a Neo-Harajuku Boom? I would argue its just the natural evolution of Tokyo street fashion that now is taking elements of late 90s street/hip-hop and mixing into the current wardrobe. As fashion progresses who is to say that in 5-10 years time will be mixing elements of Hedi-Dior Hommme boom into our fashion lexicon.

He mentions Goodenough, C.E., and RISE as potential brands to take the mantle of this potential new boom. Can't really see that happening to be honest.

Although I quite like the retro-futurism concept of C.E.

Elastic is a pretty famous personal blog but it's not written by anyone who has a lot of credibility / authority.

I think we should take it with a grain of salt but I totally agree with you. I can't see GE, CE, and Rise becoming popular at all.

Also it's the rebirth of the 横乗り culture. I'm not an exception but a lot of people recently got on that skater / surfer style. Ron Herman, Saturdays, Supreme, and etc.

Edited by herpsky

booked my flight, gonna be in japan april 12-28. see you guys there

we'll be excited to have you in jland. it's time for a gyaru nanpa escapade

i won't be in town for versus tokyo but let us know how it is.

Still no job offers at of today. I guess the absolute last day to get an offer is Friday.

I stayed home all day looking at my cell. No calls. Was told there might be a spot at the place I have affiliation with. Honestly, I can't really trust anyone b/c one told me that they would offer me a spot and totally flaked.

Man. Back when I lost my job from Lehman I had dozens of recruiters, hiring managers, etc., promise me the sky.

The only fucking thing that matters is an offer letter in your hand with a line that you need to sign.

Until anyone provides you that piece of paper nothing matters and its all talk.

I'm still with no new job. Shit sucks ass, you keep checking your email more than normal, and it sucks when these ppl who interviewed me keep lurking at my linkedin every few days, cockteasing me basically. Since I got nothing going on,booked a trip to iceland for this weekend, maybe madrid in the early fall, and just booked another Tokyo trip before xmas, then off to Kyushu before new years eve.

Raji you were right

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/business/economy/despite-job-vacancies-employers-shy-away-from-hiring.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0