japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Its worse here. You got the Japanese-can't-leave-until-your-senpai-leaves mentality here. I had a friend who did IBD at MS here, pulled 9 AM to 3-4 AM workdays nearly everyday for two years. Two of her collegues after 6 months collapsed due to exhaustion and took one month of sick leave, another two just simply disappeared and couldn't be contacted ever again. But she pulled in a $150k salary here first year and made nearly $200k by the second year plus now she can write her ticket to any hedge fund/private equity shop she desires...

150k doesn't even seem like too much to be honest. But writing your hedge fund shit, well that's some key shit. I have a family friend in SG now doing hedge funds. Their bonuses are pretty fucking riduclous. more money than i will ever have,.

Cost of living is all about how you live. It can range from being cheaper than major us cities in certain aspects to being completely fucking rediculous, all according to your lifestyle. You could have a good night out for under 20$ if you try, or you could easily run up a few hundred dollars on just a night out with friends-not even big ticket kinda stuff.

i thought they would be higher considering cost of living is insane

you can live in shitty ass places that are centrally located.

you can grab cheap eats like matsuya and survive.

or you can stay in roppongi hills and live the life of a B.A.L.L.A

i thought they would be higher considering cost of living is insane
I think the cost of living is in line with NY.

Base salaries are actually generally lower. But most ex-pats get their housing for free or subsidized. Also, base salaries may be based on the US dollar and then converted to Yen. I think in general London has the highest base salaries just because the cost of living is so ridiculous. Sadly, yes $150k isn't a lot now-a-days; especially with the hedge funds.

:(:(:(:(

Fucking Shibuya girls is so previous level its not even funny. Nobody in Shibuya dresses like that anymore anyways. I think Japan collectively burned all the Alba Rosa stores in 2004...

Fucking Shibuya girls is so previous level its not even funny.

Never said it was next level, just that it was more interesting than the dog shit bonuses Tokyo passes out these days. Want to make money, go to London, go to NYC, fuck it--go to Singapore, just stop talking about it here.

Never said it was next level, just that it was more interesting than the dog shit bonuses Tokyo passes out these days. Want to make money, go to London, go to NYC, fuck it--go to Singapore, just stop talking about it here.

Man, you'ze a fucking salary man! What the fuck u know?! You 商社? IT系? Get the fuck outta here man...I ain't complaining. I just speaking the truth! Depht wanted to know what's it like in Tokyo now-a-days and I gave him the truth! Give off your fucking high-horse. He wants to come to Tokyo and make big money, he's gotta speak Japanese. It's the reality. Ain't no IT back-office, security chump gonna make bank a year just speaking English.

haaha...IT/backoffice never get no respect. those otakus always look like they stepped out from their dungeons. unless your gates, allen, or jobs, computer nerds never shed their subterranean status.

what's with the salaryman's daily work schedule these days. i noticed in tokyo, heck even osaka and kyoto, that the trains/subways were full of tired guys going to work at 10-11 am and then coming home 9-10 pm. did their workday shift over a few hours?

anyway, those droopy assed legions always looked beat & dejected, hauling their ass into a yoshinoya to cap the end of the day. what a life.

and the baller financial guys i know...they never have a life either. if you work even close to the amt of hours they work djraj, you must have some superhuman stamina to still take the bitches out every night...or the kichigai 'h' in you must be strong enough to overcome.

Base salaries are actually generally lower. But most ex-pats get their housing for free or subsidized. Also, base salaries may be based on the US dollar and then converted to Yen. I think in general London has the highest base salaries just because the cost of living is so ridiculous. Sadly, yes $150k isn't a lot now-a-days; especially with the hedge funds.

:(:(:(:(

Fucking Shibuya girls is so previous level its not even funny. Nobody in Shibuya dresses like that anymore anyways. I think Japan collectively burned all the Alba Rosa stores in 2004...

i saw some gyarus dancing para para the other night in shibuya wtffff

He wants to come to Tokyo and make big money, he's gotta speak Japanese. It's the reality. Ain't no IT back-office, security chump gonna make bank a year just speaking English.

I know a lotta guys here in foreign companies making big money, not speaking a word of Japanese.

Anybody want to go to a yoyo meet in the huge park in Shinjuku next friday at noon?

I'll be with the yoyo fanboys in tow.