UNIQLO Selvage Denim S-000 [open thread]

onemancult

Selvedge Denim Jeans ¥4990 $79.50 £39.99

from UNIQLO Paper N°3

What's everyone's opinion now that it's pretty much confirmed at $80 Everyone seemed all for it when it was thought to be $40 but now I'm not so sure. They'll probably still be great jeans but it's not the bargain that I thought it was going to be at first.

I guess I'll have to see them in store first before deciding to drop that much on a pair of Uniqlos.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two pics from the S-002's if anyone's interested, though they're only details of the selvage line and the coin pocket selvage.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9189/04092007588lj2.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/987/04092007591cx6.jpg

I can get fit pics and measurements etc. if anyone wants.

UNIQLO's new premium selvage denim range uses 14oz 'mother cotton' denim fabric- nice and heavy, whereas other selvage jeans are typically produced using 12 or 13oz denim. And, by using 'mother cotton' for both the horizontal and vertical threads, UNIQLO has achieved a richer, deeper shade of indigo that will provide multi-faceted and unique wear.

Interesting detail- every single stitch in each jean utilizes supima cotton; most premium denim lines do not use this higher-quality cotton for their stitching.

Stay tuned for more UNIQLO Selvage Denim Facts- more detailed photos coming soon!

What's mother cotton?

'Mother cotton' just means unbleached cotton is used for both warp & weft. It means that the underside of the denim appears darker as if it has been tinted - it looks brown compared to the white of the selvedge. The effect is to create a darker colour base without having to spend as much on indigo dipping. If you'd like to replicate this darkening effect at home, try dipping your jeans in tea or coffee. Do one leg and compare with the other.

There may be claims that this produces stronger denim, but I think with all the ecru weft denim on the market, there would certainly be no evidence for ecru weft denim being weak.

Note that the black jeans use regular ecru weft - evidently, there was no need to darken those jeans.

14oz was the standard weight for denim throughout the 80s and much of the 90s. Your 80's open end denim was most likely 14oz. Fashion trends in this millenium have gravitated towards lighter denims - around 12oz, just as clothing in general has moved towards lighter weights.

But 14oz has remained very much a common weight amongst selvedge denim. Brands that offer weights significantly below or above 14oz are considered unusual (eg Samurai & Iron Heart's heavyweight jeans and Rogan who offers lightweight selvedge in styles that are not regualr 5 pocket jeans).

Most denim jeans will be sew with poly-cotton blend thread for strength. It's would be of little value to make a tough product if the yarn that held it together is a weakness.

Many 'repro' brands use 100% cotton for sewing in order to remain closer to old technology, however this often means that stitching will break prematurely (there's plenty of evidence of this on the various photo galleries here). Note that in response to this, Flat Head have changed to polycotton thread for their new F310 model.

I hope this adds interest to these great value, modern cut, selvedge jeans.

If you mean an application for a job they won't let you. They keep track of your size and what sizes you buy.

they do?

one of the female employees hooked me up with some cardigans, merino v necks, and cashmere sweaters... im sure she dont wear s/m....

Look its very simple.

This thread is sponsored by uniqlo, onemancult has been paid to act as a uniqlo representative on superfuture and give out details and additional information on these jeans and to go into mnore detil than uniqlo would traditionally give because uniqlo appreciate that we are a site of denim nerds.

However, due to stupidity someone maybe onemancult/maybeuniqlo/maybe superfuture. "forgot" to include these details in the first post here like and sensible and responisble company.

Ultimatley this thread is an advert with a limited feedback loop, the rules here which OMC has are different because its been paid for to sell a specific project.

All this thread needed was a "sponsered thread" in the title and a "unilqo representative" title for OMC, to make this clear to people looking at the thread why it was here and why it was stickied. And i would advise OMC to make those changes so that there is less emo posting in the future

Now my question, am i right in thinking that these: http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/men/jeans/63638-selvedge-denim-regular-fit-jeans

are s-002 selvege jeans? do you know omc weather the s-000 will be avalable online in the UK ?

Look its very simple.

This thread is sponsored by uniqlo, onemancult has been paid to act as a uniqlo representative on superfuture and give out details and additional information on these jeans and to go into mnore detil than uniqlo would traditionally give because uniqlo appreciate that we are a site of denim nerds.

However, due to stupidity someone maybe onemancult/maybeuniqlo/maybe superfuture. "forgot" to include these details in the first post here like and sensible and responisble company.

Ultimatley this thread is an advert with a limited feedback loop, the rules here which OMC has are different because its been paid for to sell a specific project.

All this thread needed was a "sponsered thread" in the title and a "unilqo representative" title for OMC, to make this clear to people looking at the thread why it was here and why it was stickied. And i would advise OMC to make those changes so that there is less emo posting in the future

Respectfully, I think the main issue is whether it is right or of benefit to anybody (client, SF owners, SF posters) that paid threads be censored from all critical feedback.

If on a paid thread you are only able to leave positive comment, and yet are free to be critical about the same product on an unpaid, unsticky thread, then there doesn't seem to be much to benefit any party.

It would also bring into the question of conflict of interests if the Superfuture Paid Representative, then went on to criticise other brands and their staff, particularly those in direct competition. For example the post regarding Levi's 501's below.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=640725#post640725

the price on these is pretty ridiculous.

the people in the nyc levis stores are also quite clueless as to why

these jeans are different from normal STF... i think i heard someone tell

a tourist yesterday that "these last longer because they shrink

perfectly every time, because of this special seam inside." :confused:

I think that may illustrate why this selective censorship could be a difficult regime to carry out.

By the way, the mistake the Levi's staff made is not so different to the misinformed statement about the value of selvedge width made earlier in this thread.

I have no issue with OneManCult. Quite the contrary, we have had amiable discussions through PM's where I have tried to help him prevent more misinformation being released. But this position makes it difficult for him as well to express himself without getting into situations of conflict of interest.

A more lenient approach to censorship would free him to promote Uniqlo better.

Indeed, if there are errors of fact (as well as lapses in civility) it would not be in the advertiser's interest for those not to be challenged. Making false claims in advertising happens to be illegal in most territories. And a rr so eloquently points out, censorship doesn't actually help the advertiser - it's merely counterproductive.

I wonder that if there'd been a non-paid thread about Uniqlo, whether the PR might have been a little bettter? Imagine if people had simply chipped in to extol the virtues of kaihara, or the pairs of jeans they themselves owned, rather than to correct the errors of fact they'd found? THAT would be something I'd like to see for my brand??

Indeed, if there are errors of fact (as well as lapses in civility) it would not be in the advertiser's interest for those not to be challenged. Making false claims in advertising happens to be illegal in most territories. And a rr so eloquently points out, censorship doesn't actually help the advertiser - it's merely counterproductive.

I wonder that if there'd been a non-paid thread about Uniqlo, whether the PR might have been a little bettter? Imagine if people had simply chipped in to extol the virtues of kaihara, or the pairs of jeans they themselves owned, rather than to correct the errors of fact they'd found? THAT would be something I'd like to see for my brand??

Good point Paul. There has been a non-paid, non 'official' thread discussing Uniqlos and these jeans in particular.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=25536&page=3

I think it also is the perfect example of how a naturally evolving, censorship-free discussion can be far more positive to Uniqlo than this censored discussion.

Would anyone disagree with this?

i do agree ring...

it is a fine line to walk.... i guess since sufu is moving into this new direction, we will have to see what works and what does not. hopefully, the people making the decisions on moderation and censorship will make the proper choices.

True, obiviously sufu is getting larger, and getting more people, more intrest from manufacturers and retailers and the broader fashoin community which is definatley a good thing for the forum, but ofc things arn't neccesairly going to go smoothly first time.

i do agree ring...

it is a fine line to walk.... i guess since sufu is moving into this new direction, we will have to see what works and what does not. hopefully, the people making the decisions on moderation and censorship will make the proper choices.

It's a fine line, but on this evidence, clear and true.

I trust when Superfuture and Uniqlo wield their respective razors of Ockam the incision will be the right one.

ok. this thread is looking like an episode of air crash investigation.

its like superfuture is the airline, supertalkers are the passengers, uniqlo is paying for the tickets and in-flight entertainment, OMC is the chief steward, the mods are the crew, superADS runs the airport and i man the control tower at ATC.

flight S-000 took off ok from but we forgot the safety drill to explain that this flight was indeed FREE and paid for by a happy and supportive sponsor. this led to a bit of discussion concerning the quality of the plane and airline. most people were quite satisfied but as expected a few roudy individuals got rotten seats next to the vomitting baby and had a whinge. shortly after take-off drinks were served - supercontest04 - again everyone was pretty impressed but then we hit turbulence shortly before lunch. OMC was kept busy checking to see if everyone had their selvage denim seat belts fastened below their uniqlo belt buckles but the rough weather flung a few passengers completely out of their seat and they got rather bad head injuries. superfuture decided to give OMC a much deserved smoke break, but then we realized no-one was actually flying the plane!? at that point ring ring, paulT, and a few others busted down the kevlar cockpit door and took the controls and while both are experienced and well respected superfuture pilots they unknowingly knocked the autopilot switch and the plane has changed direction and started to head for terrain.

as your chief air traffic controller, we need to get this flight back on course or it will face imminent disaster. we may have to divert to supertrash.

please note that the airline acknowledges there have been a few procedural miscalculations made on this flight and there will be an internal investigation. the findings will soon be published on superofficial. so please keep your related comments until that time and that thread...

in the meantime please sit back and enjoy your uniqlo pretzels.

:)

i've generally tried to stay out of this and keep my functions purely administrative

so i'm unsticking this and there will be a proper advertisement thread up clearly marked as advertisement (and to be taken as such) in order to prevent future mishaps like this one

discussion, propaganda, criticism and otherwise can be taken up in casual threads like the old uniqlo one.

also possible that this one will be closed.

feedback appreciated

i've generally tried to stay out of this and keep my functions purely administrative

so i'm unsticking this and there will be a proper advertisement thread up clearly marked as advertisement (and to be taken as such) in order to prevent future mishaps like this one

discussion, propaganda, criticism and otherwise can be taken up in casual threads like the old uniqlo one.

also possible that this one will be closed.

feedback appreciated

Here's some feedback for you Tweedles. Your hands-off approach looks like a good decision and your moderation in general is exemplary.

Please do not close this thread or move it to Supertrash, as Trash would be a disservice. Let it sink or float naturally.

Go easy on the censoring. By all means sensor out profanity, sexual harrassment etc on paid threads*, but keep critism of the brand/product open to discussion. Suppression of meaningful discussion creates resentment.

*better still, apply the same censorship rules to all.

As SF Sponsor Kiya so graciously put it, discussion is a two-way street. He knows the risk of open discussion and has embraced it - And in the process, demonstrated himself to be real gentleman, erudite, humourous - a credit to his business. Kiya has shown that true goodwill towards a brand should be cultivated not enforced.

Take the moral highground. Avoid being baited into a dystopian exchange of profanities. To use Wayne's analogy, a drunken pilot or steward is far worse than a drunk passenger. Note that PaulT was repulsed by 'lapses in civility' which adversely effected his perception of Uniqlo.

Avoid conflicts of interest. Whilst some other stuff can be put down to teething problems, and misinformation born out of goodnatured innocence, conflicts of interest are serious.

If Superfuture ever hoped to attract clients such as Levi's then a Superfuturtarian paid to promote Uniqlo should not be seen to publicly ridicule a directly competing product from Levi's. It bears the stains of bought favouritism and would quickly unravel the good work you have put into this site.

Unfortunately, this means that moderators may have to bite their tongues and clip their own wings. It's just the price to pay when you hold hands with the monetary sponsorship and should be regarded, with pride, as just part being a professional.

There is a huge amount of respect and goodwill towards Superfuture. This gathering of discerning denim proletariat makes it a particularly enriching oasis for sponsors if the population aren't patronised with too much fluff.

You may have hit gold with your first sentence.

Can you reboot the inflight entertainment now? :)

In this field, it's crucial to have clarity. Next to no one here has objections to promotions or advertising - advertising is an integral part of the clothing industry, not an afterthought.

People will respond to a good promotion. They will object to advertising disguised as advertorial. And, as previous threads linked here have shown, you will get more goodwill generated by a product when people aren't coralled or programmed to applaud like automota. This is why you'll get a more positive response if you don't censor sponsored threads, and if moderators don't attack, in unpleasant or other terms, the odd dissenting voice.

I should perhaps add that, like ringring I'm sure, I appreciate this wide and comfy seat in which I can rest my butt and am content to remain there.