UNIQLO Selvage Denim S-000 [open thread]

onemancult

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4os9yxh.jpg

The width of the selvage on UNIQLO's new premium selvage denim is exactly 12mm,

which is narrow compared to some other selvage denim products. A narrower edge is

more difficult to produce, but provides an overall cleaner and more uniform look.

i'm just curious here, how does a more narrow selvedge become more difficult to produce?

according to my knowledge, narrower selvage is difficult to produce because of the nature of shuttle looms.

shuttle loom product is narrow overall in terms of yardage as opposed to projectile looms, and a narrower selvage seam is problematic essentially because of the fact

that you're already working with so little denim and shuttle looms are traditionally difficult to work with, so the narrower the edge, the more risk you run in completely ruining entire yards of expensive fabric. however, a narrower selvage seam is neater looking, and is also more efficient in terms of how much fabric overall goes into

a pair of jeans.

for everyone who is still tuned in, there should be some fun news coming up within the next day or so... so please do keep checking this thread.

according to my knowledge, narrower selvage is difficult to produce because of the nature of shuttle looms.

shuttle loom product is narrow overall in terms of yardage as opposed to projectile looms, and a narrower selvage seam is problematic essentially because of the fact

that you're already working with so little denim and shuttle looms are traditionally difficult to work with, so the narrower the edge, the more risk you run in completely ruining entire yards of expensive fabric. however, a narrower selvage seam is neater looking, and is also more efficient in terms of how much fabric overall goes into

a pair of jeans.

for everyone who is still tuned in, there should be some fun news coming up within the next day or so... so please do keep checking this thread.

Theoretically at least, having a shuttle loom that is weaving a 24 inch wide fabric shouldn't be any more difficult than weaving than one weaving 28 inch wide fabric. For example, woven labels made on shuttle looms are very narrow indeed and are not renowned for being especially difficult to produce. So it's not the width per se.

The narrower your fabric is, the more constrictions you have on the style of garment you cut from it, and possibly a greater yardage consumption as a result.

When you are talking about the width of the selvedge showing on the outseam of a pair of jeans - it's just a matter of taste. Unless it's superfine, like under 0.5cm, then all is relatively easy.

This should not surprise anyone if Uniqlo are not using the best denim out there, not even the best of Kaihara. But at those prices, I can't think of better value for money - and I strongly suspect that is the whole point.

This should not surprise anyone if Uniqlo are not using the best denim out there, not even the best of Kaihara. But at those prices, I can't think of better value for money - and I strongly suspect that is the whole point.

That -is- the whole point, and, thank you so much for the clarification.

As I've just said over in the punch up thread, people will find these jeans very impressive and great value for money, up until they wash them. Then they lose shape and texture very quickly. Get your wear in thoroughly befor eyou even put them near water if you want discernible contrasts or any pronounced combs.

..and I would agree with the statement that the denim is better than some brands that cost 3 times the price. Although it's not up there with the best of the Japanese repro brands - some denim simply could not be produced in that volume quick enough.

Uniqlo have volume, they sell direct (no independent retailer or agent margins) and they are made in China. Hence the price difference.

So, OMC. What are the differences in fit from the ones the weiside posted on the previous page? Also, once again, do you know about sizing on these (run big run small so i know to size up, tts or size down). Any word on if you can get measurements for a common size such as 30, 31 or 32?

now's as good as time as any to announce that UNIQLO's new selvage denim line is made from sanforized denim- every single jean fits absolutely true to size. no vanity sizing, no shrinkage, no worries... which is why there is a skinny and a slim straight

cut available.

the sample pair i have access to is a slim straight pair.

i will try to get them measured asap.

That's all well and good, but slim straight and skinny don't help me that much. Do you know if you will be able to provide measurements for 1 or both of the jeans in the future in a popular size to get a better feel for what they're going to be like fit-wise since we've already discussed the denim in great detail.

it seems that onemancult has found himself a job he loves... either payed or totally through love. :P

I'm going to do a phone order for a pair of these today when I get those measurements.

it seems that onemancult has found himself a job he loves... either payed or totally through love. :P

I'm going to do a phone order for a pair of these today when I get those measurements.

what kind of measurement do you need pare?

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to

urge all supertalkers to cease whatever they're doing

and take 30 seconds out of the day to to play a little

game...

Click the image below!:

506rd5w.jpg

Good luck everyone!

[and if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!] ;)

So it's the s0002 slim straight right? Anyone know how they go on sizing? People between sizes should probably size down right?