Land's End Offering Selvedge/Indigo-the end of this Hobby

kbuzz

So I got a land's end catalog yesterday. They are offering indigo dipped and selvedge jeans. The selvedge is about 80 bucks. http://www.landsend.com/pp/HandcraftedOriginalNarrowLegJeans-58858_172899_-1.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

So discuss, pro and con:

Does this second appearence of a mass marketeer ( i think j crew was the other) signal the demise of this hobby?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this second appearence of a mass marketeer ( i think j crew was the other) signal the demise of this hobby?

You can buy a suit for $100. Saville Row is alive and well.

You can buy a dress shirt for $10. Made to measure and bespoke shirts are a growth industry.

etc etc etc. Gap also does this, H&M as well, Lands End is hardly just the second.

Narrow Leg Original Fit sits on the hip and runs slim from the thigh to the leg opening. We call it Original Fit because it's similar to the low, slim cut of the jeans we first fell in love with (as compared to the roomier, Chino-like fit our jeans have had).

While most denim yarns are "dipped" (fabric-speak for "dyed") just eight times, we dip the ones in our 47 Indigo denim a full 46 times before they're woven into fabric at an American mill. These repeated dips give the cloth an unusually rich and deep color resembling denim fabric from a century ago. Then garment washing (the 47th step of the name) creates the look and feel of wear, ranging from almost new to 5 years' worth of wear complete with "whiskering" across the front and subtle fading on the thighs. And thanks to the 46 dips, the color is as durable as the fabric itself: 47 Indigo Jeans stay the color you buy far longer than other denim does.

Bought elsewhere, jeans built this way would cost three times more. 100% cotton. Machine wash. Imported.

hmmm........ for 50$, if what they say is true, this may be a good pair of jeans. comes in a "rinse" which looks one wash.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/47IndigoOriginalNarrowLegJeans-58858_172898_-1.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_58858

I think everybody needs to remember that selvedge isn't necessarily an indicator of quality... anybody can produce fabric with a finished selvedge. The whole point of us blowing cash on Japanese Denim is that the smaller manufacturers take more time in developing high quality fabrics (and by quality, I mean colorfast, thick, and slubby to varying degrees) than the big guys.

Selvedge is pretty, but it shouldn't be the only thing you're looking for in a pair of jeans, imho...

So I got a land's end catalog yesterday. They are offering indigo dipped and selvedge jeans. The selvedge is about 80 bucks. http://www.landsend.com/pp/HandcraftedOriginalNarrowLegJeans-58858_172899_-1.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

So discuss, pro and con:

wow, being cool is the only reason I wear jeans, so this is really killing my passion for denim. what's left now, people have been wearing slacks, skirts, nothing forever, what's new, what's good, come on?

I've not had the opportunity yet to have a look at these Lands End jeans. 46 dips is a LOT. Bearing in mind that each dip adds around 2% of the weight of the fabric, and that even 16 dips is considered very much at the high end. 46 dips seems like an exaggeration for the price.

I agree (again) with Jubei, that selvedge is no indicator of quality and there is lots of low quality selvedge denim out there. Although this not by any means the domain of cheap brands...there's some low quality sulphur dyed selvedge from a brand in Barney's a the minute ;)

i ordered a free swatch of lands end denim

will report back; probably ring x OE

then use it to patch my concho holes

I wonder if this is RingxOE. Denim, being the complex subject it is, continues to throw up contrarian examples - I've seen some RingxOE denim from the Bossa mill that was very nice indeed.

I remember speaking to someone, maybe 2-3 years ago, a true denim expert who speculated that OE would return. And then recently, I've seen some denim, by a fantastic mill that was deliberately trying to ape an 80s OE look.

Also there's denim being sprayed with sulphur, instead of the usual sulphur topping in vats, which is producing very nice fabrics.

^^^^^^^ What he said... I stopped listening to hip-hop cuz it reached the top 20 and rock and roll is so outdated now that avril lavigne is a "rocker."

well im a 2007 and trust me if you even know who avirl lervege is, then well you should be buying lands end jeans

what size should i get? i wear a 40 in levi's, 38 in levi strauss signature, and a 40 in wrangler select.

I own and wear denim because Iike it, not to fit in or fit out of fashion. I buy em and wear them because they represent quality and attention to detail. And that appeals to me.

If lands end makes a great quaility top notch pair of denim, then so what? Levi makes LVC's and they also made acid wash jeans... that doesn't mean I don't like levis.

Give the Lands End a shot if it appeals to you, if it doesn't then don't.

salt-of-the-earth middle america types do

i dunno, price is similar to carhartt etc.

i bet it has a zip fly, tho

suck

carhartt has selvedge jeans if i recall correctly...they were pretty nice too. i think they were like 125 or something? anyway i'd much rather get carhartt anything than landsend.