Kapital jeans

iamstarwars

just sharing my purchases from the kapital stores (i regret not buying more!) I wish i had read through these 8 pages of kapital thread before my trip, so i could have collected some of the shops tokens, i actually got one from one of stores but i think i left it in the hotel, (it is a picture of a singer sewing machine) crap.. nevertheless, i really enjoy visiting the kapital stores, particularly the one in kyoto and ebisu.

quick shots: a hat, a red tab jacket which that in said that its a deadstock because they dont use red tabs anymore.

Kapital001.jpg

some shots of elder. which i have absolutely no idea what fabric it is. No. 1 or No. 2?

Kapital008.jpg

Kapital009.jpg

loving the rivets.

i strongly suggest visiting the stores, you will be rewarded! Else, pick up a catalogue from Jon and get yourself started on kapital. its a really remarkable brand&co.

Edited by Gnob

• 2 weeks later...

BiG already got [limited] stocks of the Cisco, TH, & TH-Zipang. it might take sometime to get them set-up on the website, but you can call to inquire for deets.

Cisco [w/c is on "Indigo# 2"= darker indigo] is very much TTS, but thought i'd risk a SD1 since i'm in-between sizes nowadays. usually, i conservatively size to W33, but i found i could actually button up a W32 [ie, with slight difficulty on the top 2]. so i took the plunge, anticipating a decent stretch at the top block since they're O/W. notwithstanding, i did 1-hr warm soak when i got home last night just to get a bit of crisp back & some "comfort" stretch on the waistband by jamming a hanger against it [from soak to dry]. will post fit once i'm able to secure a new camera. meantime time here's some post soak measurements:

Cisco tagged W32:

w= 33.5, inseam= 33.5, f/rise= 10.5, b/rise= 14.5, u/t= 12.25 [from crotch] & 12 from 2" below crotch, kne= 9, l/o= 8

btw, they only got 2 pairs of W32 on Cisco, so better get a move on__ for the decided.

Edited by BrownMetallic

I cannot understand why anyone would want to wear that shirt, it looks like a patchwork quilt. Each to their own but truly awful in my opinion.

Why is it awful? Adding the quilt is from a placemat or oven mitt to a shirt I thought was a cleaver concept. Maybe not for everyone but I think that is what makes the shirt extra special.

Edited by the bandanna almanac

I think it's fine if you repair a shirt that you've worn yourself with whatever you have on hand, i.e. one that has evolved organically to look like that. However, to buy a shirt brand new like that is akin to buying pre-distressed jeans imho and $500! Like I said, horses for courses but definitely not for me.

I think it's fine if you repair a shirt that you've worn yourself with whatever you have on hand, i.e. one that has evolved organically to look like that. However, to buy a shirt brand new like that is akin to buying pre-distressed jeans imho and $500! Like I said, horses for courses but definitely not for me.

Distressing is just another part of construction. Part design, part technique. Kountry does wizardry with washes, and their over dyeing is second-to-none. I know how much went into the design of this shirt and the tedium and accuracy of the sewers that put each piece together. This is basically a hand-made shirt minus the construction of the base shirt. This isn't just like pre-distressed jeans it is more like deconstructed and reconstructed clothing. It is a brand new shirt, and there is nothing really distressed about it, totally new design from the standard one.

I'm talking about the overall aesthetic not the actual shirt per se. The patching would usually imply a repair, hence a worn in or distressed look. I know you're very passionate about Kapital and I think that's great but even if you told me it was sewn by mermaids using unicorn hair, it would not persuade me that it's a nice shirt. I'm not trying to be dismissive or antagonistic about this, just really cannot see the appeal of it.

If mermaids made that shirt I'd definitely kop.

I like it, but I can definitely see that it wouldn't appeal to folks. To me it's wearable art, but not everyone has the same taste. What really gets me is the price tag. The unfortunate thing is we'll probably see really shitty rip off versions of this at the gap 2 years from now.

If mermaids made that shirt I'd definitely kop.

I like it, but I can definitely see that it wouldn't appeal to folks. To me it's wearable art, but not everyone has the same taste. What really gets me is the price tag. The unfortunate thing is we'll probably see really shitty rip off versions of this at the gap 2 years from now.

Exactly! But again if it was for everyone it wouldn't be Kapital. Yeah expensive but all the Kountry stuff in hand finished in Okayama.

I'm talking about the overall aesthetic not the actual shirt per se. The patching would usually imply a repair, hence a worn in or distressed look. I know you're very passionate about Kapital and I think that's great but even if you told me it was sewn by mermaids using unicorn hair, it would not persuade me that it's a nice shirt. I'm not trying to be dismissive or antagonistic about this, just really cannot see the appeal of it.

One argument: As much as it is a really cool creation, fantastic overall aesthetic and (i presume) construction, it doesn't have the same magic as if you (or a family member/friend) personally had worn in, worn out, and repaired it. It is, in essence, a simulacrum of an idea about conservation.

Another argument: But the magic is in the craftsmanship. Someone made this using a skill which is essentially disappearing -- and they were paid a fair wage to do it. Yes, it hearkens back to a time when nothing was wasted. It also flies in the face of disposable culture.

A third argument: I don't care about craftsmanship or so-called "magic". I like it because of the aesthetic. Look at all the overall garment -- seemingly disparate components work together to create an overall look.

A fourth argument: I don't care about aesthetic, craftsmanship, theories about disposable culture. I wear a horse dick on a chain because it gets be better gas mileage on the freeway and surface streets. It also makes me invisible to cops -- I think.

Guess which one is me? :D

MF, i can see why you dislike it and i respect you opinion about it and i think it is great that everybody has a different opinion about something. nothing against you at all for that!

i think for me, patchwork has always been something fascinating for me. i remember when i was about 3 or 4, my grandma would make everyone patchwork blankets. they were great because they were so comfortable and functional and it was truly something to look at. these days i think i would be hard pressed to pay the range of $800 for a patchwork blanket. i wished i kept that one, it was a sight to behold.

not derailing from the subject, the pattern of the patchwork on this shirt is very very similar to the blanket i had. i think that is the same reason why the shirt appeals to me so much. having said that, i doubt i would still pay $450 for a shirt as much nostalgia as it holds. half that price will still be hard for me to bite, truly.

edit: i think thirdhand really said it for me.

Edited by ranonranonarat

yeah. i feel like the stuff kapital does is beautifully unique, in the same way the mister freedom aesthetic doesn't appeal to everyone. it's hit or miss for me, but i can always tell the craftsmanship is there, as well as the artistic vision. overpriced? probably, or just not within my ever-shrinking budget... i've one of those e-subscriptions which allows me access to the catalogs through the capital website, and i am blown away by a lot of the pieces they put out there.

Also the American stores seem to be marking up the prices pretty radically. I think MF was trying to express that he doesn't get people who wear clothes that are all patched up and shit. Honestly I don't like most of the threads on these forums but I don't troll them and posting random "I don't get this" posts. Hijacked thread for sure, way OT.

Edited by the bandanna almanac

I'm expressing that I don't like new expensive new clothes designed with a patched-up aesthetic, however I like it when clothes are old and have evolved to that state, that's all. Didn't mean to offend people here and not sure if the troll comment was directed at me or not. I hope not, as it's a sorry state of affairs when disagreeing from the general consensus on the thread (even when articulated to a reasonable degree) is considered 'trolling'.

I'm expressing that I don't like new expensive new clothes designed with a patched-up aesthetic, however I like it when clothes are old and have evolved to that state, that's all. Didn't mean to offend people here and not sure if the troll comment was directed at me or not. I hope not, as it's a sorry state of affairs when disagreeing from the general consensus on the thread (even when articulated to a reasonable degree) is considered 'trolling'.

Yeah it is. First you said the shirt was awful because it had a quilt. Then you went off on a tangent about "distressed clothing". I tried to explain how it isn't "distressed" as most people perceive it, but a more interpreted / crafted aspect to garment design. To that you answered sarcastically. If you like clothes that have evolved to a specific state for you thats fine, cool, most of the consensus agrees with you, probably. Maybe you don't realize this but your initial comment was just rude, and yeah it offended some people. I don't care what you think of the shirt but your reasons don't justify your comment. Is this really the right place to just hate on something that was on topic?

You have missed the point. I still think the shirt looks awful and I have now explained why, using the pre-distressed aesthetic analogy above, i.e. a new, patched-up shirt = pre-distressed; no tangent, the two are linked. If you're offended that I dont like a garment that you do then I suggest you get to grips with your own sensitivities. I don't 'hate' on the shirt, it's just a shirt I don't like the look of ( or price tag). You can carry this on if you like but you'll be sailing solo as I'm bailing out. Said my piece...

Ultimately, yes, it is a question of aesthetics! But it should be reiterated that a complex meld of associations is expressed through the design of this garment. And it is a refined design, in which every aspect of the package contributes artfully to achieve a total effect. But no, it is not for everyone.